: 2005 SRX AWD confusion

budbt
04-07-13, 11:49 AM
I purchased my 05 SRX at a cadillac dealer as a used car in the fall of 2011. It was advertised as rear wheel drive the car fax shows it as rear wheel drive. I bought it and have been happy with it. One issue I've noticed is it is brutal on the front tires. I needed to replace the fronts do to wear on the outside edges.
Well I took it to a local place for some tires installed and the tech came out to tell me it was an AWD model. I didn't believe him but looking under it clearly IS! Front differential, half shafts, front wheels turn when you turn the rears.

I was shocked. First I had to sign a waiver to only put two tires on, then I went out to call my dealer. He looked the vin up in the "gm global" system and sure enough the build sheet has it as all wheel drive.. I though it drove awfully well in the snow this winter!

TimRSRX777
04-07-13, 11:56 AM
Well to some AWD is an advantage, if you live in harsh climates, but to some a detriment. Has there been any studies as to wear and gas mileage comparisons between the Rear Drive and AWD 1st Gen SRXs? I have looked at my build sheet and still am confused about which RPO Code lists AWD. Ours is AWD but I couldn't tell it by looking at the build sheet. :)

glake89
04-07-13, 12:23 PM
Mx7=awd

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-07-13, 03:17 PM
I purchased my 05 SRX at a cadillac dealer as a used car in the fall of 2011. It was advertised as rear wheel drive the car fax shows it as rear wheel drive. I bought it and have been happy with it. One issue I've noticed is it is brutal on the front tires. I needed to replace the fronts do to wear on the outside edges.
Well I took it to a local place for some tires installed and the tech came out to tell me it was an AWD model. I didn't believe him but looking under it clearly IS! Front differential, half shafts, front wheels turn when you turn the rears.

I was shocked. First I had to sign a waiver to only put two tires on, then I went out to call my dealer. He looked the vin up in the "gm global" system and sure enough the build sheet has it as all wheel drive.. I though it drove awfully well in the snow this winter!

Hello budbt,

I am sorry for the initial confusion you had with your vehicle being advertised as a rear wheel drive. However, we are pleased that you were able to find out about your vehicle being AWD. We are happy when you are happy and satisfied with your vehicle. I bet the AWD system does drive better in the snow! We are here to be of assistance to you. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns! Thank you.

Sincerely,
Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

mjcaddy
04-09-13, 07:17 PM
I had the same thing, I bought my car from a Toyota dealership and it was advertized as RWD, but when i ran the RPO code and looked underneath I found it's actually AWD.
this is a common mistake with 2005 because there are no "4" badge next to the "SRX" like the newer cars have.

TimRSRX777
04-10-13, 04:32 PM
I agree on the SRX "4" that are on the newer first Gen SRX's - definitely makes it easier to tell if you're dealing with a RWD or an AWD vehicle. Especially in Northern climates the AWD version is a much better all around /season vehicle than a Rear wheel drive only one. Which also makes it important that "For Sale" ads also include which wheels are driven. Alot of ads for SRXs don't include that important information - necessitating a phone call for clarification..

PJ1520
04-12-13, 09:40 AM
In my opinion, you made out on this!!! Now as to the front edge tire wear......what psi are you running? If 30 pounds per squre inch as recommended in the driver"s door jam, the outer edges will wea faster, even with an "in spec" alignment. I had the same issue. The suspension was tight and right, no slop. When I increased the psi to 33 psi, the outer edge wear stopped. Cadillac's 30 psi recommendation may make the ride soft, but at the expense of tire wear on the edge. Otherwise, you need to slow down oon those exit ramps. PJ