: Top Speed 150 ???

SevillianSTS
04-06-13, 11:20 PM
So I was on my way home from an eventful day with some great V owners.

Decided to stop by my brother-in-laws house in "Mexico". there is a new section of road that was WIDE open straight and NO cars.

I said no twice.. then I went for it... :lildevil:

Don't remember everything being I was focused on the road but I wanna say I hit 140 in 4th then I missed 5th... got it into fifth and gained my speed back, but it seems like it just stopped pulling at 150ish. Do some of these cars have a top speed shut down ? Cause it felt like I should have had a little more, and I know they said it'll stop pulling at 163

darkman
04-06-13, 11:54 PM
I believe in 2006 and 2007 the Vs came with RSA runflat tires that had a lower speed rating that the F1 Supercars (also runflats) that came on the 2004-2005s. Consequently, the speed limiter is set lower than the 163 mph (or so) particular to the earlier models.

A tuner can fix that, but you ought to have the tires to support that change.

odthetruth
04-07-13, 12:00 AM
^ That

mstrjon32
04-07-13, 04:27 AM
I just flashed my ECU to remove the top speed limiter and the (stupid, irritating, MF-ing) CAGS yesterday. I don't know why I waited so long to do it, I've hit that speed limiter dozens of times, it's really annoying.

rand49er
04-07-13, 08:46 AM
... my brother-in-laws house in Dayton Mexico ...Fixed.

SevillianSTS
04-07-13, 10:26 AM
I don't recall it shutting down like a normal limiter though. No messages. Just felt like that was all she had. Is it a more "mild" shut-down ?

mstrjon32
04-07-13, 11:26 AM
I don't recall it shutting down like a normal limiter though. No messages. Just felt like that was all she had. Is it a more "mild" shut-down ?

It's not as mild as some cars that will flash a message (I think even the base CTS flashes a message...), but it's not abrupt like older cars to do a full, hard fuel cut-off. If you have an '06 or an '07, and the door sticker says it came with "V" rated tires, it has the 149 mph limiter.

SevillianSTS
04-07-13, 12:36 PM
SOB, yep came with V rated tires. :rant2:

CTSV_Rob
04-07-13, 01:45 PM
My 07' V came factory with the FG2's and the F1 Supercars. I have never pushed it to the limit but I wonder if they put that limitation on my car even though I have the better tires??

I have never taken it over 145.

darkman
04-07-13, 02:06 PM
My 07' V came factory with the FG2's and the F1 Supercars. I have never pushed it to the limit but I wonder if they put that limitation on my car even though I have the better tires??

I have never taken it over 145.

I am not positive, but I suspect that any shop with a GMTechII scanner can check that for you. In the alternative, how close are you to Mexico?

WarrenMRogers
04-07-13, 05:23 PM
My '04 hits the 163 easily, stock.

ForceTA308
04-07-13, 07:46 PM
Don't remember everything being I was focused on the road but I wanna say I hit 140 in 4th then I missed 5th... 3

You mean you missed 5th even with that good feelin shifter of yours!?

SevillianSTS
04-07-13, 08:39 PM
You mean you missed 5th even with that good feelin shifter of yours!?

Ha, ya I think I just pushed over too far towards reverse.

odthetruth
04-08-13, 12:14 AM
Ha, ya I think I just pushed over too far towards reverse.

LOL I realized that if you try to quick shift the 4-5, that can happen with little resistance. LOL best to take your time in the 4-5 shift, even if you're making a sandwich mid shift on the 4-5. All other gears you can shift in with little effort.

lollygagger8
04-08-13, 09:13 AM
I had the limiter removed on my first tune, and have way better tires, but I just ran out of road when I hit 149 in 5th when we visited Mexico. I've read that 6th quits pulling, so is it a matter of running out of rpm maybe?

SevillianSTS
04-08-13, 09:46 AM
The road I was on down in Mexico was a brand new two lane divided road with no traffic on it. Couldn't resist :lildevil:
I hit 150 right at the beginning of 5th. I'm assuming as we add more power 6th should be able to start pulling ?

darkman
04-08-13, 12:20 PM
I had the limiter removed on my first tune, and have way better tires, but I just ran out of road when I hit 149 in 5th when we visited Mexico. I've read that 6th quits pulling, so is it a matter of running out of rpm maybe? 5th gear, with stock size tires, hits 6.5K rpm at 160ish. However, with your particular valve train you should be able to hit 7.0krpm for about 172mph assuming your horsepower can overcome the incremental aerodynamic drag, which is not insignificant at those speeds.

lollygagger8
04-08-13, 02:52 PM
5th gear, with stock size tires, hits 6.5K rpm at 160ish. However, with your particular valve train you should be able to hit 7.0krpm for about 172mph assuming your horsepower can overcome the incremental aerodynamic drag, which is not insignificant at those speeds.

lollygagger8 likes this....twice.

SevillianSTS
04-08-13, 06:55 PM
5th gear, with stock size tires, hits 6.5K rpm at 160ish. However, with your particular valve train you should be able to hit 7.0krpm for about 172mph assuming your horsepower can overcome the incremental aerodynamic drag, which is not insignificant at those speeds.

What makes my valve train particular ? Its stock LS2.

Are you saying "if" I raised the rev limiter ?

Not that I'm gonna raise it and go try to blow it up, just curious now.

darkman
04-08-13, 09:25 PM
What makes my valve train particular ? Its stock LS2.

Are you saying "if" I raised the rev limiter ?

Not that I'm gonna raise it and go try to blow it up, just curious now.

My remark was Lollygagger8 specific - he has a valvetrain setup built under the guidance of Tony Mamo of Airflowresearch. It has a cam that carries well beyond 6.5k rpm and other upgraded components, such as Manton pushrods to back it up.

CTSV_Rob
04-08-13, 09:35 PM
I am not positive, but I suspect that any shop with a GMTechII scanner can check that for you. In the alternative, how close are you to Mexico?
lol, like it's in my backyard. :D