: GTO Brake Update

elvin315
04-06-13, 04:38 PM
An overdue update concerning Catera Brake upgrades.

My car was equipped with '04 GTO calipers, slotted & dimpled rotors, and C5 Corvette pads. Unfortuneately these prevent the brake pad wear sensors from working. This past Monday my right/front brakes started making a horrible scraping noise. That corner's inside pad was worn to the backing plate and chewed up my beautiful performance rotor.

Instead of ordering another slotted rotor I went with an OEM style replacement. I also switched back to the '04 GTO pads. Four days of test driving the Catskill's mountain roads and at high speeds on the NY State Thruway (don't ask) and I honestly can't tell the difference in stopping power or distance over the performance parts. Better than the stock Catera brakes though.

If had thought it over more I might have bought the C5 pads again in the harder ceramic compound but then again I don't know if the wider C5 pads might have jammed in cockeyed and caused the premature wear. The GTO pads might be a safer bet. Anyway, that's my news.

PS: my EBTCM has been repaired and reinstalled almost a year now and is working perfectly.

retho78
04-06-13, 05:39 PM
I use the GTO pads with 04 GTO calipers in my Catera.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-09-13, 01:10 AM
Man I'd like to start thinking about performance for once instead if repairs.

elvin315
04-10-13, 09:31 PM
Time was a factor. If you plan right you can combine a repair with an upgrade. I couldn't wait for the performance rotors so I went with OEM. The mechanic mentioned that he'd seen the Corvette pads wear unevenly and have a pad's leading edge backing plate gouge the rotor. From what he showed me I believe that was the case. No fault of the GTO calipers as he's only seen it happen in Vettes. This was his first Catera with or without GTO brakes.

elvin315
05-01-13, 03:33 AM
UPDATE: Now I remember the advantage of performance rotors. First serious rain since the brake job and the wet braking was noticeably weaker with the OEM style discs than with my old slotted/dimples set. Too soon to change them but when the time comes I'll be installing a slotted pair up front. The rears too. They're due for new pads this month and will get slotted discs with them. New shoes for the emergency brakes too. Never use them normally but maybe I'll start. I may want to use them for some 180 spin turns. :devil:

retho78
05-01-13, 09:32 AM
I have slotted discs on my Catera and they work great. I bought them from www.brakeperformance.com.

Thanks.

elvin315
05-01-13, 09:52 PM
So did I. When I get the rear discs I'll order from them again.

Cadillac Kid03
05-10-13, 11:29 PM
Man i had no idea GTO brakes could go on these cars very cool.

elvin315
05-11-13, 08:25 PM
See how it's done:
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t171-how-to-gto-calipers-with-c5-brake-pads-omega-catera

No mods needed just remember to use the GTO hoses. The Catera's are too short to use with the GTO calipers.

Cadillac Kid03
05-11-13, 10:56 PM
See how it's done:
http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t171-how-to-gto-calipers-with-c5-brake-pads-omega-catera

No mods needed just remember to use the GTO hoses. The Catera's are too short to use with the GTO calipers.Thanks for the link and very nice car!