: Nav disc

Dadillac
04-06-13, 02:36 PM
Purchased a nav unit from eBay that doesn't come with a disc. I searched eBay and there seems to be many many options for discs. Can I buy the latest and greatest and expect it to work in the nav? I noticed there was a version 6.0 which seems to be the newest version. Will that work in any '06-'11 DTS factory nav unit?

Don

CadillacVogue
04-06-13, 06:35 PM
Here is the newest Nav update for our vehicles: http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqNorthAmerica-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewStandardCatalog-Browse?CatalogCategoryID=DBgKCghBfM4AAAE6vA1poJPH&ShowAllProducts=YES

If the one on ebay is the same then it will work. They should have the SKU listed. Otherwise I found the 2011 version on ebay for 69.99.

Dadillac
04-06-13, 09:50 PM
Another question. I see that the 2011 disc is called an update disc. Is this to imply that I will need some sort of hardware disc as well as the 2011 update disc? The nav unit I bought states it is brand new never used but doesn't come with a starting disc. If I just get the 2011 version 6.0c disc will the nav work with that? Confused

Don

phigment
04-06-13, 10:05 PM
I am using the 6.0c disc. I believe they call it an "update" disc because along with maps it offers some updates over previous software versions. These updates are installed the first time you insert the disc. That is my understanding anyway.

CadillacVogue
04-07-13, 12:10 AM
Well Don, to be absolutely honest Im not completely sure. Like phigment said the maps are on the disc, not in the unit itself. My understanding is that each update is a standalone version of the same software with updated maps and some other minor software upgrades. When you update to a newer version, you leave the new disc in the unit; not the original/older one. Taking that into account, it is my belief that you should be able to buy a newer update, put it in the unit and you would be good to go.
What I would do is call a GM service center, tell them you bought a brand new nav unit that didn't come with a disc and that you wish to use the newest update. They should be able to give you guidance.

Dadillac
04-07-13, 11:48 AM
Last night I went ahead and bought the 2011 version 6.0c disc. Should be okay I guess. Now I can't wait for all the gear to show up. I am really anxious to tear into this and get it done.

Don

CadillacVogue
04-07-13, 06:11 PM
Good luck Don! Let us know how everything turns out.