: Massive coolant leak...

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-06-13, 05:40 AM
So my '98 decided to dump all her coolant. It's leaking around the radiator on the driver's side. Caused me to overheat 3 times today. And I did pull over to cool her down. Help please!!!

JohnJJO
04-06-13, 08:13 AM
my Heater Auxiliary Water Pump that on passenger side stopped working, one of fuses was blown under your steering fuse box (i dont remember witch one, check all fuses one by one) that cost over heating and over pressure that blow my radiator, radiator have lower temp. sensor on driver side, unplug it to see if your fans are working. possibly could be fail of thermostat, my had 155k miles when i replaced, and it was still working fine i just decide to replace it with ACdelco OEM, they got update it and u need to get longer screws for it

----------

On rockauto.com way cheaper
Radiator VISTA-PRO Part # 432419 - $134
Thermostat Housing/Water Outlet ACDELCO Part # 1510580 - $31
Auxiliary Water Pump ACDELCO Part # 251606 - $138
on ebay u can find Auxiliary Water Pump way cheaper. like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Auxiliary-Water-Pump-Rear-VW-Audi-A6-Quattro-Volkswagen-Golf-Jetta-TT-/350757005621?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51aabf2935&vxp=mtr

MoistCabbage
04-06-13, 09:33 AM
So my '98 decided to dump all her coolant. It's leaking around the radiator on the driver's side. Caused me to overheat 3 times today. And I did pull over to cool her down. Help please!!!

Not sure what kind of help you're asking for. You'll have to tell us what's leaking first.

retho78
04-06-13, 12:34 PM
Possible issues can be a crack in radiator, bad radiator hose, radiator drain plug or aux pump....these are by driver's side located at front of the car.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-06-13, 02:49 PM
Not sure what kind of help you're asking for. You'll have to tell us what's leaking first.

Not sure yet. Haven't had time to jack her up.

----------

Hmm it has this steaming noise when it gets hot. Something's clogged possibly? I'll check it out today. Thanks guys.

investor74
04-06-13, 11:12 PM
Look where the upper hose from the engine enters the plastic end tank of the radiator on the driver's side. Very common to get a crack in the plastic near the base of the nipple holding the hose on. Happened to me and a lot of others.

JohnJJO
04-06-13, 11:20 PM
Look where the upper hose from the engine enters the plastic end tank of the radiator on the driver's side. Very common to get a crack in the plastic near the base of the nipple holding the hose on. Happened to me and a lot of others.
Had same thing on my radiator, i used JB welder it worked for a year until started to leak so had to replaced radiator.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-08-13, 03:17 PM
Okay, so I used Bar's Leaks. It slowed the coolant leak down to a drip. I drove it for a few minutes and it still gets hot and when I stop it's steaming, with the majority of the steam and all of the leaking happening on the driver's side. Anyone have any clues? I still don't have time to jack her up, so she's out of order until then. Thanks.

retho78
04-08-13, 03:28 PM
I would recommend not to use bar's leak or similar products. It might work at first but then clog up the cooling system.

Thanks.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-08-13, 03:42 PM
I would recommend not to use bar's leak or similar products. It might work at first but then clog up the cooling system.

Thanks.

Thanks, dude.

I am finding that replacement radiators are pretty cheap. Should I just go ahead and replace that thing? And what parts would I need to make the job complete? (i.e. hoses, auxiliary water pump, etc.) How difficult of a job should I expect? I've done some pretty difficult stuff with my car such as A/C compressor replacement, and valve cover jobs.

retho78
04-08-13, 06:23 PM
Radiator replacement is not that hard and actually I'm planning to do mine tomorrow due to a crack on the plastic. I found a used one in good condition at the salvage place cleaned it all up and going to work on it tomorrow and later in the week planning to work on the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals.

I think maybe in your case it could be the thermostat stuck or the aux pump is not working causing the coolant to leak out from the front. Are you able to see from where it is coming out exactly?

If it's the radiator, the only issue is the hose from the aux pump going towards the bottom of the radiator, pretty tight spot to loosen the hose. Just get the whole radiator out with the aux pump and hose connected to it and then replace the radiator and install everything back before it's go to the car.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-09-13, 12:07 AM
Radiator replacement is not that hard and actually I'm planning to do mine tomorrow due to a crack on the plastic. I found a used one in good condition at the salvage place cleaned it all up and going to work on it tomorrow and later in the week planning to work on the timing belt, camshaft and crankshaft seals.

I think maybe in your case it could be the thermostat stuck or the aux pump is not working causing the coolant to leak out from the front. Are you able to see from where it is coming out exactly?

If it's the radiator, the only issue is the hose from the aux pump going towards the bottom of the radiator, pretty tight spot to loosen the hose. Just get the whole radiator out with the aux pump and hose connected to it and then replace the radiator and install everything back before it's go to the car.

Okay thanks man. Sounds easy. I'm jacking it up tomorrow to inspect where it's leaking. I'm about ready to give up on her. But that's part of the fun of owning something unique, right?

retho78
04-09-13, 09:55 AM
Also, u will lose very little transmission fluid from the transmission lines connected to the passenger side of the radiator if you have to replace the radiator ....it no a big issue since it's very little.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-09-13, 04:06 PM
Also, u will lose very little transmission fluid from the transmission lines connected to the passenger side of the radiator if you have to replace the radiator ....it no a big issue since it's very little.

Okay. I've been inspecting the leak and it doesn't seem to be coming from the radiator. There's no cracks in any plastic as far as I can see. I broke the auxiliary water pump on accident. So that needs replacing. I'm hoping that it will solve the problem. How can one tell if the auxiliary water pump isn't working because when it's steaming there seems o be a lot of pressure built up around that area and coolant steams onto my battery and left headlight. Maybe it's backed up in there?

----------

Plus does anyone know where the thermostat is located? I think I might go ahead and replace that as well.

retho78
04-09-13, 11:01 PM
Then it's possible the auxiliary pump is bad. To test it just connect it to the battery and see if it spins. I may have one that I pulled from the salvage yard. The thermostat is located next to the oil cooler or under the intake. Just track the top radiator hose (big one) and the other end goes to the thermostat.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-10-13, 01:04 AM
Then it's possible the auxiliary pump is bad. To test it just connect it to the battery and see if it spins. I may have one that I pulled from the salvage yard. The thermostat is located next to the oil cooler or under the intake. Just track the top radiator hose (big one) and the other end goes to the thermostat.
Yeah, it can't be the thermostat, then. I broke it hah, so there's no use in trying to get it to work. When it steams there seems to be a lot of pressure built up where the auxiliary fuel pump was. So I definitely have to change it. I'm hoping it will solve the problem. Has anyone had any problems with their thermostat? If so, what would be the symptoms? Thanks.

retho78
04-10-13, 06:44 PM
If the thermostat is bad then it would overheat the car. I replaced mine when I did the oil cooler swap couple years ago.

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-21-13, 12:34 AM
Okay. Replaced the aux water pump. Works just fine and doesn't get hot. $130 later...this car is not for the feeble minded...or the big handed or broke college students.

retho78
04-21-13, 01:59 AM
Good deal!

JohnJJO
04-21-13, 02:32 AM
It is. I got mine from dealership for 5k cash with 126k in excellent external and internal condition and put in to it so far 6k in 4 years. I have now 158k. And I did all work by my self. I learned so mush from my car, it gave me experience that u can't find. I love it. I will keep it until my engin die or tranny and if it's happend, I will swap it.... I still have OEM floor mats :)

IvoryWhiteCatera
04-22-13, 03:22 PM
It is. I got mine from dealership for 5k cash with 126k in excellent external and internal condition and put in to it so far 6k in 4 years. I have now 158k. And I did all work by my self. I learned so mush from my car, it gave me experience that u can't find. I love it. I will keep it until my engin die or tranny and if it's happend, I will swap it.... I still have OEM floor mats :)

That's true. This car is a money pit but it will give you make you an expert if you do the work yourself. Ever since I did my valve cover job, I feel like I can take anything on on any car (besides the complicated German ones). The only thing that frustrates me is that everything under the hood is tight.

----------

Oh, and does anyone know of an all aluminum replacement radiator for the Catera?

JohnJJO
04-22-13, 11:51 PM
There is thread here, How to replace radiator. Search !!! . They way cheeper if u get it of online, like eBay or rockauto. I got mine from junk yard for $40, work just fine. It's not that easy to replace but not to hard and no special tools needed so that's good.