: cleaning chrome plated cadillac rims

Caddy-Lee
04-05-13, 08:01 AM
I have a 06 dts with chrome cadillac rims. I drove them all winter and now that the spring has approached I wanna clean them up good, any suggestions on what products that would help me shine them up and restore that original look. They have the normal build-up on them, thanks in advance

Submariner409
04-05-13, 10:50 AM
Soap and water, microfiber mitt and rags, NO abrasive polishes, carnauba wax if you feel like you want to do the same job every month.

The bottom line is "Don't scratch or swirl the chrome".

See if you can find "Flitz Simichrom" polish. We used to get it from Mercedes dealers.

Dadillac
04-05-13, 07:56 PM
Simple Green or Brillo pads for me. I have never scratched chrome using either one. And the chrome comes out perfectly clean

Don

Superjim
04-05-13, 08:36 PM
I would never use Brillo pads on chrome.....

ral1960
04-05-13, 10:26 PM
I consulted page 5-92 in my owner's manual. It says use mild soap and water and soft cloths, rinse and dry, wax optional. Next paragraph advises washing after exposure to magnesium, calcium, or sodium chloride sprayed on roads for ice melting, as they may damage the finish. Damage from abrasives, strong soaps, or cleaners with acid will not be covered by the warranty. Don't use chrome polish on aluminum-finished wheels and buff it immediately off of chrome wheels.

Also, it says automatic car washes with silicone carbide tire brushes could damage aluminum or chrome plated wheels, so they should be avoided.

Ozlander
04-06-13, 12:57 PM
Yep, you don't drive around in the salt all winter and expect to clean it off in the spring and have them look like new.....

Dadillac
04-06-13, 01:21 PM
I would never use Brillo pads on chrome.....
Don't knock it until you try it. A couple of minutes per wheel will get the nastiest of wheels clean as a whistle. And doesn't scratch the chrome at all.

Don

bigtone
04-07-13, 07:11 AM
Don't knock it until you try it. A couple of minutes per wheel will get the nastiest of wheels clean as a whistle. And doesn't scratch the chrome at all.

Don

Agree. Actually steel wool, but I have been using it along with some type of polish to clean chrome on Harleys for going on 30 years, mainly for boot marks on chrome exhaust. Most of the chrome on Harleys gets very hot, like rocker boxes, engine covers, etc, so anything on them gets baked on. Never noticed any degradation after years of doing it. I tried it on my Dodge Ram's plastic chrome clad wheels and it worked fine also.

Dadillac
04-07-13, 11:43 AM
Brillo or SOS pads on chrome wheels is way faster and more complete than any wheel cleaner on the market. Now I do not use it every time I clean my wheels. But after the winter I use the Brillo to get all the winter brake dust salt and dirt off of the wheels. Then I keep up on them during the warmer months so they are never too dirty.

Don

TulsaVic
04-07-13, 03:26 PM
There was another thread some time ago on cleaning the wheels and I'd like to repeat a question I posed back then: What in the heck do you drive through to get the wheels so gunked up you need steel wool?? I just survived a winter in Maine and the drive through brushless car wash kept my chrome wheels spit polish shiny...and I've never had to use anything more than Murphy's Oil Soap or maybe Mr. Clean and a nylon mesh covered sponge to get any and all grime off. The exception would be if I rode down a newly paved road and got some tar splatter. But that is extremely rare. Routinely Windex and a cotton cloth would get them clean....

Superjim
04-07-13, 04:28 PM
I normally use Windex and paper towels to clean my Chrome wheels....

CadillacVogue
04-07-13, 06:19 PM
Not saying it doesn't work, but I dont think I'd ever use steel wool or any kind of abrasives on chrome.

bigtone
04-07-13, 06:53 PM
There was another thread some time ago on cleaning the wheels and I'd like to repeat a question I posed back then: What in the heck do you drive through to get the wheels so gunked up you need steel wool?? I just survived a winter in Maine and the drive through brushless car wash kept my chrome wheels spit polish shiny...and I've never had to use anything more than Murphy's Oil Soap or maybe Mr. Clean and a nylon mesh covered sponge to get any and all grime off. The exception would be if I rode down a newly paved road and got some tar splatter. But that is extremely rare. Routinely Windex and a cotton cloth would get them clean....

Here in NE PA the stuff they use on the roads in winter makes a real mess, it will not hose off even with a high pressure spray. Then it stays on the road even through spring and when it rains the road splash makes a mess again. It doesnt all wash off the roads until mid summer, then mid late fall it starts all over again. I can drive to Florida, wash my car the first day there, and it stays clean for a week or more. Up here you cannot keep it clean for more than a day.

cadillac_guy21
04-07-13, 07:10 PM
I just use this stuff called never dull , it comes in a silver can , works really well takes the water spots off the chrome and everything

5.0 lsc
04-07-13, 08:27 PM
I clean them w soap and water, then use mothers powercone drill attachment with meguires chrome wheel polish, then wash them w soap and water again.
However i did use brillo pad in and out on the exhaust tips, and there was no scratching of any kind.

Stepside
04-07-13, 09:29 PM
Steel wool on chrome . . :lawl: ~ the outward appearance may not look scratched . .
but, under a scope, the surface would appear to have tiny micro-fissures in it, not visible to the naked eye.
Today, there are many great products on the market that are water/alcohol based,
requiring less of the
wax-on :suspense: wax-off ~ motion.

AElayyat
04-08-13, 12:19 PM
On chrome wheels I use eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner & a soft brush...been doing so for years without any issues

johnnie1974
04-11-13, 05:47 PM
ive used never dull to it works really good i wax my rims after that and they look brand new .

hazcaddy
04-12-13, 07:39 AM
On chrome wheels I use eagle 1 chrome wheel cleaner & a soft brush...been doing so for years without any issues

+1. Eagle 1 works great, just too bad I have to drive to the US to get it. Afterwards: Mothers Chrome Polish followed by a coat of Mothers "Step 3" Carnauba Wax.

When I bought my winter wheels I was advised strongly by Tire Rack to keep away from Chrome and ended up with the shiniest Aluminum that I could find. I give them the Eagle 1, Mothers "Step 2" polish and "Step 3 Wax" (like the rest of the car) and will again in 10 days before they come off and go into 7-month storage.

Submariner409
04-12-13, 10:09 AM
If you insist on using metal wool on chrome wheels - go to the hardware store or a West Marine and get 0000 bronze wool. Bronze is softer than chromium so it won't scratch, and any metal residue left in the wheel openings or brake parts will not rust.

Bronze wool is used extensively in the marine business - wouldn't want nasty rust spots weeping through your 4 coats of Interlux Yacht White topside paint or the railings covered with Z-Spar Captain's Varnish. ........... :yup: