: Hey You!! Bleed that Clutch!!!

lollygagger8
04-05-13, 08:40 AM
So I finally busted out the Caddy last night, and the shifting was a little rough. I hadn't bled it since last fall, so I used my girlfriend's leg (still attached) and had her push the clutch in while I bled the slave cylinder. Thank God for my remote line. :2thumbs:

It shifts effortlessly now, and I forgot how nice it was to barely have to shift with my thumb, index and middle finger.

Don't be lazy, do it this weekend......

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/ClutchFluid4-5-13_zps89b00e6d.jpg

rand49er
04-05-13, 09:01 AM
Coincidently, I broke out my car yesterday afternoon, too ... after nearly seven months.

You sound pretty excited, Shane. Coincidently, I was too.

lollygagger8
04-05-13, 09:16 AM
Coincidently, I broke out my car yesterday afternoon, too ... after nearly seven months.

Going from driving my Jeep Cherokee all winter to driving the V is like upgrading from Joan Rivers to Olivia Wylde.

6 SPEED Z
04-05-13, 10:23 AM
What is the best way to bleed the stock clutch? How do you get to the stock bleeder!! I was under there a few weeks ago and it is a pain to get to. Any suggestions??

Mike

lollygagger8
04-05-13, 10:54 AM
What is the best way to bleed the stock clutch? How do you get to the stock bleeder!! I was under there a few weeks ago and it is a pain to get to. Any suggestions??

Mike

Grow a second elbow.

It's on the drivers side of the bell housing.

http://cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

Procedure to bleed the hydraulic Clutch
Notice: DO NOT use fluid which has been bled from a hydraulic clutch system, in order to fill the clutch master cylinder reservoir, due to the possibility that the fluid may be aerated, have too much moisture content, or be contaminated and may cause system or vehicle damage.
1) Ensure the reservoir is filled to the fill line with new hydraulic fluid. Add fluid if required from a clean sealed container. Refer to Sealers, Adhesives, and Lubricants for correct hydraulic fluid type.
2) Stroke the clutch pedal from the up stop to the down position at least 15 times.
3) With the pedal in the down position, open the bleeder valve (1) at the concentric slave cylinder to release trapped air.
4) lose the bleeder valve (1) and slowly return the clutch pedal to the up stop position.
5) Open the bleeder valve (1) and slowly depress the clutch pedal from the up stop to the down position until the fluid escapes through the bleeder.
6) Close the bleeder valve (1).
7) Return the clutch pedal to the up stop position.
8) Depress the clutch pedal from the up stop to the down position.
9) Open the bleeder valve (1) and allow fluid with air bubbles to escape through the bleeder valve.
10) Close the bleeder valve (1).

Important: Always make sure that the clutch fluid reservoir remains filled with new clean hydraulic fluid.

Repeat steps 7-10 until the fluid without bubbles escapes through the bleeder valve.

thanks ewill

6 SPEED Z
04-05-13, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I understand the procedure, I was just wondering how or what everyone uses to get to the stock bleeder. Maybe I will get it higher this weekend and give it another shot.

Thanks
Mike

Andringa
04-05-13, 01:14 PM
Thanks, I understand the procedure, I was just wondering how or what everyone uses to get to the stock bleeder. Maybe I will get it higher this weekend and give it another shot.

Thanks
Mike

I bought the shortest 8mm? gear wrench that Sears had. it fit in there pretty well. The gearwrench makes it easy to get the bleeder loose, but then you have to pull the wrench and reverse it to tighten it. A normal open wrench may be just as good.

carlson_mn
04-05-13, 01:18 PM
you haven't bled it since last fall?

I haven't bled mine since the car was new and it shifts flawlessly! I think the key is to bleed it right the first time!

Edit: Didn't mean to sound like a jerk, was just thinking that DOT4 usually is good for a few seasons! It's on my to-do list this summer since it is original in my car.

rand49er
04-05-13, 01:42 PM
... driving the V is like upgrading from Joan Rivers to Olivia Wylde.Had to look up Olivia Wylde to fully understand your statement. Funny ... her real name was Olivia Cockburn. Go figure.

PISNUOFF
04-05-13, 02:18 PM

I haven't bled mine since the car was new and it shifts flawlessly! I think the key is to bleed it right the first time!

Driving the V like it's meant to be driven kills the clutch fluid. Properly bled or not. Maybe it never gets warm enough in Minnesota. Lol

Twitch
04-05-13, 03:18 PM
Had to look up Olivia Wylde to fully understand your statement. Funny ... her real name was Olivia Cockburn. Go figure.

Loved her on Tron :leghump:

Also: whats with the copy/paste write-up??? People getting lazy around here!!!

----------

Going from driving my Jeep Cherokee all winter to driving the V is like upgrading from Joan Rivers to Olivia Wylde.
I've seen Joan Rivers in person, wish I hadn't.

lollygagger8
04-05-13, 03:44 PM

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q16/n2havnfun2/noidea_zps51f6e78a.jpg

Oh, and +1 on the Gear Wrench

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 04:44 PM
I did the cheesy bleed (drain from the top, fill, pump) because I can't get under the car right now and it felt much better. Really want to do a real bleed soon though.

repenttokyo
04-05-13, 05:14 PM

my car came out yesterday too, been away since November.

carlson_mn
04-05-13, 06:04 PM
Edited original post. Cute pic, but do you really think your fluid was bad after 6 months?

PISNUOFF
04-05-13, 08:47 PM
With my driving, I had to bleed it every 4-6 weeks using Motul 600. I switched to Castrol SRF and it went to every 4-5 months.

DDS rollin a CTS
04-05-13, 11:03 PM
Silly guys just now getting your cars out from storage. Grow some balls, buy a set of snow tires, and winter drive that bitch like a real man!

And just to stay on topic, I am in desperate need of bleeding my clutch too, having a hard time getting it into 3rd and 5th but I'm too fat to fit under it even on stands. Where would I find one of these remote bleeders you speak of?

pato
04-05-13, 11:21 PM
^^ Here.

http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-performance-remote-clutch-speedbleeder-line-for-2005-corvette-z06-04-07-cts-v/

SevillianSTS
04-05-13, 11:43 PM
With my driving, I had to bleed it every 4-6 weeks using Motul 600. I switched to Castrol SRF and it went to every 4-5 months.

$70 bucks for a bottle WOW. Does it really make that much of a difference though ??

Naf
04-06-13, 08:13 AM
I got the katech bleed kit, so i can bleed the clutch on my own. It has a 3an hose and speed bleeder on the end which i have mounted right next to the reservoir. Nice kit makes life so much betta

PISNUOFF
04-06-13, 10:42 AM
$70 bucks for a bottle WOW. Does it really make that much of a difference though ??

Lasted 4 times longer for me.

nvthev
04-06-13, 02:45 PM
Silly guys just now getting your cars out from storage. Grow some balls, buy a set of snow tires, and winter drive that bitch like a real man!

Oh hell no. I don't drive it in the rain. Although there is a red 05 running around this winter on 4 studded snows.

JDB
04-06-13, 10:53 PM

And just to stay on topic, I am in desperate need of bleeding my clutch too, having a hard time getting it into 3rd and 5th but I'm too fat to fit under it even on stands. Where would I find one of these remote bleeders you speak of?

2nd. Swapping my winters off tomorrow...

You'll need to drop the trans to put in a remote bleeder. I have one from Tick.

CTSV_Rob
04-07-13, 01:52 PM
You need to invest in one of these Lolly then you can use her leg the way it was meant to be used. ;)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0100?seid=google&gclid=CLvexuaBubYCFQtyQgodcBEAtw

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/mvp-0100_w.jpg

Reasonably priced and they work great. Bleeding the brakes and clutch is a one man job with this.

lollygagger8
04-07-13, 10:14 PM
You need to invest in one of these Lolly then you can use her leg the way it was meant to be used. ;)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mvp-0100?seid=google&gclid=CLvexuaBubYCFQtyQgodcBEAtw

Reasonably priced and they work great. Bleeding the brakes and clutch is a one man job with this.

You mean this contraption doesn't sigh and act annoyed when you ask for it's help?? I'm in.

----------

Edit: Didn't mean to sound like a jerk, was just thinking that DOT4 usually is good for a few seasons! It's on my to-do list this summer since it is original in my car.

You must drive like a OMWH (old man with hat) or your right arm is a jackhammer. Your fluid has got to be blacker than the Ace of Spades. I even use that Wildwood 570 stuff since I can get it locally, and it still looks terrible when I change it a few times a season (prob overkill, but whatever). Every time I bleed my clutch, it shifts a thousand times better regardless. It always seems like 3rd gets hardest to shift when it's time to change it out.

CTSV_Rob
04-07-13, 10:53 PM
You mean this contraption doesn't sigh and act annoyed when you ask for it's help?? I'm in.

Only if you don't pump her enough.

lollygagger8
04-08-13, 09:17 AM
Only if you don't pump her enough.

Hahhahahaha

m3driver
04-08-13, 12:18 PM

Well since I own the company - (not summit, but motive) order a 0108 or 0118 for the brakes and the 1100 or 1109 for the clutch, shoot me your order number from the motive website and I'll give you a 15% discount.

mromani@motiveproducts.com

cheers

Marco

CTSV_Rob
04-08-13, 03:07 PM
You own a great company.

You should be pushing your catch bottles as well.
http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Pair-of-Power-Bleeder-Catch-Bottle-1820_p_127.html

I have both and they work great. :thumbsup:

mackey
04-08-13, 03:24 PM
i like on your site you demo on a CTSV as well :)

Sigfod
04-08-13, 05:56 PM
Actually not really that much more expensive when you calculate cost per liter. Most brake fluids come in .5L containers.
And yes it does make that much of a difference.

Just bled my clutch when I did the clutch job, planning on doing it again in the next few weekends.

EdmundGTP
04-08-13, 06:16 PM
SHOOT! I just ordered the 0250 GM Kit from Summit Racing the other day!!! If only I had waited..

Well since I own the company - (not summit, but motive) order a 0108 or 0118 for the brakes and the 1100 or 1109 for the clutch, shoot me your order number from the motive website and I'll give you a 15% discount.

mromani@motiveproducts.com

cheers

Marco

PISNUOFF
04-08-13, 11:01 PM
I have had a Motive power bleeder for years, it's awesome. My 1108 works for both the brake master cylinder and the clutch master cylinder reservoir.

GMBOUND
04-10-13, 10:28 PM
I wish I could bleed something in my V. Currently we're in different states. It's been that way for a long time now. He guys! Long time no see.