: ATS Diesel/ CUE Apps

BXSteph419
04-05-13, 02:04 AM
Hey guys I'm really anticipating ordering an ATS in the near future however I would love to get a diesel engine (to gain more mpg's). Any info on a diesel engine in the near future? Also I see MANY car makers are integrating several apps into their systems such as Facebook and yelp, do you think we'll ever see this in CUE? It's a major consideration I'm making on whether or not to purchase an ATS. What do you guys think?

C&C
04-05-13, 06:35 AM
Well, GM's big experiment (with diesel cars in the U.S.) is going to be the Chevy Cruze. If 'diesels' take off, other offerings will probably be forthcoming; whether the ATS gets one, would still just be conjecture (at this point).

rustybear3
04-05-13, 08:35 AM
The expense of diesel fuel coupled with the problems with winter hard starting, jelling, using heater blankets, the noise, etc......the expense more than offsets the little mpg gain....no thanks!

Yplus
04-05-13, 10:54 AM
The Cruze diesel will sell really well and then GM will finally wake up to the idea that diesels should be offered for practically every vehicle they make (in the US).

Contrary to what people say, modern diesels have no winter hard starting, jelling is absolutely no problem (except if you make your on biodiesel from vegetable oil) and the noise is on par with direct injection engines (which most gasoline engines are already anyway).

The biggest problem is that in the US diesel is more expensive than gasoline even though it is cheaper to make and refine. But even so, the offset price is swallowed by regular 45-50 mpg numbers. Best is you don't need fancy 8 speed transmissions to get those numbers, a 6 speed with 6th being ultra-overdrive is plenty fine.

RippyPartsDept
04-05-13, 11:14 AM
the diesel ATS has been planned for (not sure if it was approved or green lit ... but it's definitely in the works)

also, GM currently has a software development kit for people/companies looking to get their apps into CUE

there is no word yet on when the marketplace/appstore will be open for business but it's also in the works

Creative Director
04-05-13, 01:00 PM
Diesel not being noisy… with all due respect, I would beg to differ. I have driven a bunch of European Diesels. None of them was near as quiet as a modern petrol engine. BMW 3 Series is loud and its loud quality is abysmal. It just doesn't match the car. The quietest four-cylinder Diesel engine I've found is the 1.5 dCi from Renault.

mikesul
04-05-13, 02:14 PM
As more diesels are sold the price of the fuel will come down. Refineries will devote more capacity as the volume of sales increases. It is easier and cheaper to refine than gas, and you don't have to pay the Premium gas gouge.

Fraggy
04-05-13, 03:08 PM
Diesel not being noisy… with all due respect, I would beg to differ. I have driven a bunch of European Diesels. None of them was near as quiet as a modern petrol engine. BMW 3 Series is loud and its loud quality is abysmal. It just doesn't match the car. The quietest four-cylinder Diesel engine I've found is the 1.5 dCi from Renault.

Thank you. Every time I read this Modern Diesel crap I cringe.

blue_skies
04-05-13, 05:24 PM
Hey guys I'm really anticipating ordering an ATS in the near future however I would love to get a diesel engine (to gain more mpg's). Any info on a diesel engine in the near future? Also I see MANY car makers are integrating several apps into their systems such as Facebook and yelp, do you think we'll ever see this in CUE? It's a major consideration I'm making on whether or not to purchase an ATS. What do you guys think?

The Diesel is a must - if GM is serious about marketing the ATS abroad, which I think they are.

Cue is capable of more apps, but it needs to be a lot faster with better rendering. I expect the current system to only go so far, and that many newer features will be pushed to next generation revisions.

FW upgrades to current may include text-messaging and (simple/low bandwidth) html based interfaces (apps). Advanced, high speed apps will require larger screen resolution, and, more importantly, more precise finger pointing resolution. Also, Wifi hotspots will be a nex-gen thing, and not be present in current models, imho. Some manufactures are beginning to offer these already.

Also, the system will be designed using a fast (G4) phone to have access to the wireless networks - so start worrying about your data-plans ....

rustybear3
04-05-13, 08:08 PM
While diesel engines may deliver more miles per gallon, it can take up to 10 years or more before they save the average driver any money. This is because of the higher cost of diesel cars and of the fuel....you are talking between $2000 and $5000 more for the engines alone. You add the cost of the fuel, the poorer acceleration, heavier weight and upkeep of the engine and I believe this offsets any advantages they may have. I'd rather explore a hybrid which gives greater results, IMHO if I intend to spend extra for the engine.

blue_skies
04-05-13, 09:33 PM
While diesel engines may deliver more miles per gallon, it can take up to 10 years or more before they save the average driver any money. This is because of the higher cost of diesel cars and of the fuel....you are talking between $2000 and $5000 more for the engines alone. You add the cost of the fuel, the poorer acceleration, heavier weight and upkeep of the engine and I believe this offsets any advantages they may have. I'd rather explore a hybrid which gives greater results, IMHO if I intend to spend extra for the engine.

BMW 535d, 3LTT, 4,000lbs, 0-60 = 5.7sec, mileage = 46.3mpg
Toyota Prius, 1.8L, 3,000lbs, 0-60 = 10.2sec, mileage = 46.2mpg

(The BMW costs more than double though ...)

Only in the US, diesel prices are higher than gas prices, world wide, diesel is priced below gas.
Most BMW's that are sold in Europe nowadays are Diesel engine powered.

Volkswagen, Mercedes, Porsche all have Diesels now too.