: O5 DeVille Is That My Lifters I Hear????

txpiedpiper
04-05-13, 12:04 AM
I have an O5 White Caddi DeVille with 157156 miles on it.. When Im accelerating I can sometimes hear my lifters reving up.. I change my own oil regularly. Im a Valvoline guy. Synthetic blend. 5w30 Its my every day transportation pretty much. So I was wondering could or should I add some of that Lucas Oil treatment next time i change my oil or is there something else i can do to quiet this?

MoistCabbage
04-05-13, 12:49 AM
DO NOT use any snake oils in your engine.

What exactly does this noise sound like? It's essentially impossible to hear lifter noise from inside the car while accelerating.

Submariner409
04-05-13, 11:32 AM
........... and the engine does not have "lifters" or cam buckets as such. It uses roller cam followers with lash set by static hydraulic pistons.

Use no snake oils. None. Nothing wrong with a name brand 5W-30 oil of whatever type you care to use.

If you can hear "ticking" during acceleration I would first suspect an exhaust leak.

RippyPartsDept
04-05-13, 12:16 PM
Possibly a crack in an exhaust manifold ... especially if it goes away once warmed up

txpiedpiper
04-07-13, 09:42 PM
I guess what i am hearing are the roll cams and valves. its notengine is cold and then it warmed up.. a knocking or ticking but definately the cams and valves. i dont hear the noise all the time but periodically. I hear it when the

Submariner409
04-08-13, 09:43 AM
You might want to go way up ^^^ to the black bar and study the Cadillac Technical Archive - especially the article titled "Occasional full throttle operation is good for your engine". In there you'll see a perhaps unfamiliar term: "Cold carbon rap".

Ranger
04-08-13, 11:35 AM
I hear a minor ticking out of mine when it is a real cold start. Don't forget, you have 4 cams, 32 valves and followers right up top under those cam covers. Not a lot of noise insulation there.