: $4 Fix to Door Handle Micro Switch Woes

ottawagta
04-04-13, 08:33 PM
Here's how you can replace those pesky switches:

Follow the handle removal steps in this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/228338-drivers-door-micro-switch-replacement-how.html

If you determine it is the microswitches, order a bunch of these (2/door, and get some spares): http://canada.newark.com/honeywell-s-c/zd30s20a01/submin-basic-switch-pin-plgr-spdt/dp/86R9335?Ntt=86r9335

Remove the microswitch harness from the handle. With a fine screwdriver, remove the potting the bottom of the switches. Draw a diagram of how the wiring looks, and switches are placed in the holder. Once you have removed enough potting, the switches can be pushed out of the holder by pushing up on the bottom (wire side of the switches). Unsolder the wires from the switches (you made the diagram, right?)

Here is a pic with the holder, switches removed, with new switch.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106225&stc=1&d=1365120053

Insert the new switches into the housing. They will only fit in one direction, and their body should be flush with the housing when in completely:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106226&stc=1&d=1365120362

Now, solder the wires accoring to your diagram.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106227&stc=1&d=1365120941

Lastly put potting compound on the connections. Do not use silicone as some kinds can damage the connections due to acid released during the cure. My low tech potting compound was a hot glue stick (it seems to work fine). It may be beneficial to first place the switch harness back into the handle assembly, to check how the wires exiting the switch housing relate to the handle body before potting (otherwise the wires may not clear the handle body).

Installation is reverse to removal, make sure to read the note about this in the removal instructions posted at the start of this thread. Grease all plastic to plastic interfaces, it makes reassembly easier.

Enjoy your work!

mreichel481980
04-01-15, 08:03 AM
Dear Sir.

Thank you very much for your great work. I had this trouble too. Your instuction save a lot of my time and about $90 for the new part from Cadillac. Thank you again.

cpetro45
04-07-15, 05:37 PM
Yeah, thanks for this. I'm chasing down this issue now to. Both front doors, 05 sts, a real pleasure. They were intermittent with the weather, now neither have functioned for a few days. I'm concerned because it seems like neither antenna is working since the back doors don't unlock when I pull the front handles.

russ1947
04-18-15, 10:54 AM
I did some research last night and came up with a switch that already has the wires attached. All you need to do is splice them in.

ZD30SA01EA
Switch Snap Action N.O./N.C.
SPDT Pin Plunger PC Pins 3A
125VAC 1.27N Screw Mount

http://www.onlinecomponents.com/honeywell-zd30sa01ea.html?p=25257439

SuperDaveSTS
05-04-15, 02:47 PM
^^^Looks like theres a minimum amount you have to order for these^^^

dkozloski
05-04-15, 04:51 PM
Not so. I ordered a half dozen from Newark USA with no problem.

SuperDaveSTS
05-04-15, 05:45 PM
Newark USA?

dkozloski
05-04-15, 05:53 PM
WWW.Newark.com

SuperDaveSTS
05-04-15, 06:07 PM
How did you order these, it still wont let me because of the minimum is 1000 lol

dkozloski
05-04-15, 07:07 PM
I'm looking at switches in an envelope.
The tag says:
MFR# ZD30S20A01
SKU: 86R9335
QTY: 6

WWW.newark.com (http://WWW.newark.com)

I've been ordering from Newark for years and have never been jerked around on minimum qtys.

------------------------------------------------------

Go to WWW.Newark.com (http://WWW.Newark.com)

Right at the top of the page is a search box where you enter keyword/part#

Type in: 86R9335

You'll go right to a page where they show they have 551 in stock at $1.57 each.
I don't know what else I can tell you.

Cheers!

stevenriz
05-05-15, 04:05 PM
https://octopart.com/zd30sa01ea-honeywell-12338811 will sell small quantities as well but there is a minimum order surcharge if you don't buy enough stuff. Is newark the same?

----------

question.....

what are some other uses for these micro switches? These millions of switches aren't all going into Cadillac front doors....

dkozloski
05-05-15, 05:13 PM
This is a generic item that has hundreds of applications. Ice machines, coffee pots, canning machinery, robots, you name it.

SuperDaveSTS
05-09-15, 04:38 PM
Holy crap, I actually was able to order 6 of them, AWESOME!!!

SuperDaveSTS
06-02-15, 06:13 PM
Just replaced my pass side micro switchs, everything works like a charm now.

RazorBacker1
06-06-15, 04:38 AM
just ordered my half dozen switches too!! Thanks !

cpetro45
06-17-15, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know how much of a PITA it is to splice these vs getting the switches with the wires attached. The switches with the wires attached are not available from newark.com and their is a 50$ minimum on other sites. The switches without the wire which it seems others have ordered recently are still available from newark.com without an order minimum. Thanks,

Chris

SuperDaveSTS
06-18-15, 12:10 PM
There isnt a $50 minimum, I just went through this and was able to order 6 switches, I already replaced my pass side switches. The hardest part of this is holding your hand still enough to solder the wires to the new switches.

cpetro45
06-18-15, 02:51 PM
There isnt a $50 minimum, I just went through this and was able to order 6 switches, I already replaced my pass side switches. The hardest part of this is holding your hand still enough to solder the wires to the new switches.

Thanks...right I understand that the switches without the wires are available. If you look above in the thread, there is a link for the same switches with the wires. This would be easier...while I'm not afraid to solder I'd rather splice as I think this is easier and more secure connection (for me...I get soldering is a strong connection as well). OK, well, I will probably just order the ones without the wires unfortunately.

Thanks

EChas3
06-19-15, 08:04 PM
Even splices should be soldered, if you want them to last.

SuperDaveSTS
06-20-15, 07:15 PM
Just replaced my drivers side switches, soldered the connections then hot glued the housing like it is originally, works like a charm. I might make a spare pass side if anyone is interested, seeing that I have 2 extra switches and a harness for the pass side.

Boat
06-22-15, 01:13 PM
Just ordered switches for both sides, the ones with the wires already attached needed a minimum order of $50.

cpetro45
06-22-15, 02:58 PM
Just ordered switches for both sides, the ones with the wires already attached needed a minimum order of $50.

Yeah me to...same deal...got the ones without wires. I think you'd need like 5 people that wanted both sides done to get the switches with the wires (and then figure out how to get them to everyone)...oh well

Boat
06-22-15, 07:53 PM
Question...I think my micro switches are going bad, doors won't always open...but sometimes I'll get in and it'll give me the 'key fob not detected'. Is this also a symptom of the bad micro switches?

framedforlife
06-24-15, 12:09 AM
how long ago did you replace the fob battery?

Boat
06-24-15, 06:42 AM
Literally just replaced it. That's what I assumed too.

dkozloski
06-24-15, 12:51 PM
Question...I think my micro switches are going bad, doors won't always open...but sometimes I'll get in and it'll give me the 'key fob not detected'. Is this also a symptom of the bad micro switches?It sounds like it may be a broken handle antenna to me.

SuperDaveSTS
06-24-15, 02:44 PM
Mine did the same thing for the pass side, both wires were ripped of the handle, replaced the handle and the problem went away. Soon after I went back and replced the micro switches without a glitch, did the same for the drivers side recently minus the handle.

sedlmayrje1723
06-24-15, 03:11 PM
Would anyone want to make these for me? I would pay you to do it and pay to ship them to me! I need one for my drivers side door!!!!!

SuperDaveSTS
06-25-15, 08:17 PM
Send me your original door harness and I'll be able to fix it.

Boat
06-27-15, 01:00 PM
Got my switches replaced, working nicely.

But sometimes both doors won't open (red light comes on so I know the switches are fine). Are there antennas in both handles?

ronj1986
06-30-15, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone, sorry to ask if this seems like a silly question. My driver's side door won't open with the key next to it. Is this the same problem that everyone is referring to?

SuperDaveSTS
07-01-15, 09:32 AM
Usually is, either that or the door handle antenna.

Boat
07-01-15, 11:21 AM
Usually is, either that or the door handle antenna.

Is there antennas in both handles? (Refer to my post on the bottom of page 2)

SuperDaveSTS
07-01-15, 11:45 AM
Both front doors have them yes.

Ludacrisvp
07-01-15, 12:09 PM
There are also other antennas in the car to determine fob location.

No fobs detected will most certainly fall into:
1. Weak battery in FOB
2. Interference between FOB and the various antennas. Which can be caused by your body or cell phones or Bluetooth devices.
3. Failing / faulty / damaged FOB

I suppose it's possible that one of the half dozen or so antennas in the car may be having an issue but I'd doubt it. I don't think the door handle antennas count as being related to this fob not detected issue.

ronj1986
07-01-15, 03:58 PM
Is there a test method to determine if it is the microswitch or the door handle antenna that is malfunctioning?

Boat
07-01-15, 06:13 PM
Oh wow! Just realized, I have those RFID blockers in my wallet which is in the same pocket as my fob...that's probably my issue LOL.

Neutrocuted
07-05-15, 06:56 AM
Oh wow! Just realized, I have those RFID blockers in my wallet which is in the same pocket as my fob...that's probably my issue LOL.

That would be the $0 Fix!