: Is this 89 brougham worth it?

DanD
04-04-13, 05:54 PM
There's this 89 Brougham d'elegance with a white ext. and red leather int. The seller is a private owner and it has 32k miles. Is it worthwhile for 6k , or would a 90-92 brougham be a better choice since this one has the 307?

outsider
04-04-13, 06:12 PM
although the 307 won't win any races it's a good reliable engine. $6k isn't unheard of and with those low miles this might be one to jump on. Got any pics? Really it all depends on how well it was maintained. :)

SafariOne
04-04-13, 06:13 PM
The car would have to be pristine for 6k and I would wonder if the odometer has turned over to 137,000. How does all the body and mechanical stuff look in general?? I have my 81 Fleet. Brougham D'Elegance 2dr Coupe for sale at $6200 but it is very nice bumper to bumper..and with the 6.0l engine. Sounds like a lot but it depends how much has already been done to the car. Mine runs like new.

DanD
04-04-13, 07:00 PM
I got the Ebay of the car, and it's about 40-50 min. away from me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-cadillac-deelegance-brougham-32000-actual-miles-/290891555658?forcev4exp=true#ht_500wt_1182

AElayyat
04-04-13, 07:23 PM
That thing looks clean! Same color combo as the 89 delegance I use to own, mine had the premiere top option though.

Enjoy the new ride!

DanD
04-04-13, 07:52 PM
That 307 still scares me because I know I would never be able to make "maneuvers" in my school parking lot. Every day someone gets rear-ended because the person behind them didn't notice that the person in front slowed down for the stupid speed humps, and I'm afraid that it would be pretty costly to repair the rear of this brougham.

cadillac_al
04-04-13, 09:14 PM
You may not even notice the speed bumps in that Caddy. For $6k I would be tempted to look at '04 DTS's.

77CDV
04-04-13, 10:59 PM
You'd think he'd have more pics. Looks nice from what I can see, all depends how it runs. It would be a nice cruiser, but don't expect to win any drag races. I wouldn't pay more than 5K myself.

csbuckn
04-04-13, 11:02 PM
It seems these cars are staying pretty steady around that price for a nice one. 4-6K seems pretty common now for the low mile ones.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-05-13, 12:15 AM
Go see it, take it for a test drive, and go with your gut. It looks good in pictures, that's for sure.

If it strikes you as the right car, 6k isn't an awful price, at all, especially for those low miles. It is possible the odometer rolled over. I actually saw an 89 Brougham recently that had 130,000 miles and looked just as pristine. A carfax report may shed some light on that. The D'Elegance package also adds value to the car. Those seats make all the difference.

I just spent the past six months looking for a new car, and did a lot of researching and test driving concerning the 307 vs. 305 vs. 350, and came to a pretty solid conclusion. First, with the 90-92 Broughams: I think the restyling throws off the whole look of the car, but appearance aside, the gain in power isn't worth it to me. A well-tuned, low-mileage 307 (which you are presumably looking at here) has decent pickup for daily driving. The TBI 305 that came standard in 91 and 92 is a slight step up, and the optional 350 is one more baby step further, but the towing package suspension that typically comes paired with it throws off the stance and compromises the softness of the ride. Opinions are divided on this, but seeing how neither of the "improved" engine options for the newer Broughams offer much more in the way of performance, I don't think they're worth the detail-obscuring trim panels and the terrible door-mounted seatbelts. And, actually, for my money, the 307 accelerates softer and smoother than either of the Chevy engines. I've got a 307 with over 200,000 miles on it, and it still hasn't let me down.

So to recap, if you want a timeless Cadillac style and a car that looks good from any angle, an 89 Brougham won't let you down. Buy the 90-92 only if you actually like the redesign, because the slight upgrade to performance isn't worth it. If you want a land yacht that can smoke tires with the best of them, look for a 94-96 Fleetwood.

talismandave
04-05-13, 12:48 AM
You are lucky to be so close. Take a look at it and see how it feels to you.

brougham
04-05-13, 03:05 PM
You'd think he'd have more pics. Looks nice from what I can see, all depends how it runs. It would be a nice cruiser, but don't expect to win any drag races. I wouldn't pay more than 5K myself.

That's exactly what I was thinking. You want that much for it yet only have 4 pictures? Prove it's worth show us the goods!

Cadillacboy
04-05-13, 04:05 PM
This car looks like new ,wrong color combo for me though lol
Not to mention , D'elegance trim package has nicer seats too :D

DanD
04-05-13, 04:56 PM
What sucks about all of this is that there was one for sale only 5 min from my house about 3 months ago. It was a 92 with the 350 and it had 65k miles. The rear seats were beyond mint and the person only wanted 3900 for it because it was the persons moms car until she went to a retirement home. My dad dragged his feet and the car was sold the same day we were gonna go drive it. Now he believes that they aren't worth more than 5k and that they should all have a chevy 350. I still stay up at night wishing I got that brougham.

Seville fan
04-05-13, 07:18 PM
Heck yeah it's worth it. Went to EB to see what else was for sale and found another 89 FWB, white, ex-Florida car, also with 32,000 miles (strange coincidence). Already bid up to $4,250 with 5 days left, $7,000 BIN price. This one looks like a nice car but strangely the front spoiler under the bumper is pretty chewed up.

The one you're looking at looks nice, is D'elegance and has a better interior color but agree with the others you need to ask for more pics before taking further action.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-05-13, 10:53 PM
Hell, a 40-50 minute ride isn't so much. Just go look at it. Bring cash if you have it, and if you like it, offer him whatever you think is fair right then and there. He may bite, he may not.

Seville fan
04-06-13, 01:49 AM
Oh only 40-50 minutes away, missed that. Definitely worth a short drive based on those 4 pics alone. Love the granny floor mats in back. Stuff like that is always a plus for me versus the "reconditioning" that dealers sometimes do. I especially hate that shiny stuff they spray all over the engine after degreasing it.

DanD
04-06-13, 11:16 AM
I know it's probably worthwhile, but getting to the car is the major problem. Being as my father automatically thinks anything more than 20 miles away is too far.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-06-13, 11:42 AM
Bummer. No friends or other relatives that you could con into taking you? I'd give you a lift if you didn't live on the other side of the country...

DanD
04-06-13, 10:47 PM
Grandparents are closer to it, but they can't buy it themselves, because they wouldn't know what they're looking at and because they both don't care much for older Cadillacs (My grandad bought a brand new early 80s eldorado barritz and he called it a lemon, all show, but no go.)

jayoldschool
04-06-13, 11:01 PM
I know it's probably worthwhile, but getting to the car is the major problem. Being as my father automatically thinks anything more than 20 miles away is too far.

This is crazy. It's a car purchase. Who cares how far away it is? 20 miles is a nice bicycle ride, not a radius for car shopping. My most recent vehicle purchase was 1300 miles away.

cadillac kevin
04-06-13, 11:23 PM
20 miles isn't very far, especially to get a nice car. I drove more than that to get an engine donor for my caddy.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-07-13, 12:28 PM
The Fleetwood I just bought was about 100 miles away. Had to con a friend to take me. He was demanding gas money in return, but I still haven't paid him. Hoping he just forgets about it.

jayoldschool
04-07-13, 01:11 PM
Maybe he'll "forget" your friendship. Better to give a buddy a few bucks to keep him happy. It will be a worthwhile investment in the long run.

DanD
04-07-13, 05:18 PM
So do any of you actually think, that as a car that will be destined to go through the hell that is a high school parking lot, this car can handle it?

cadillac kevin
04-07-13, 05:31 PM
So do any of you actually think, that as a car that will be destined to go through the hell that is a high school parking lot, this car can handle it?

Mine handled a college parking lot (had people ripple the side of their car on my bumper....my bumper survived with nary a scratch).

jayoldschool
04-07-13, 08:55 PM
I drove a 1971 Pontiac to high school ever day. It survived, I still have it.

I should mention, if it's dad's money, he gets to decide how far to go to pick up a car ;)

DanD
04-07-13, 09:16 PM
Yea, you seemed to have hit the nail on the head with that one. Unless the car is perfect in every way, he doesn't believe that it's worth it to go more than a half hour drive to get a car. Unless it's a project (Camaro).

Cadillac Giovanni
04-08-13, 12:09 AM
Maybe he'll "forget" your friendship. Better to give a buddy a few bucks to keep him happy. It will be a worthwhile investment in the long run.

Guy's a total cheapskate. Always demands gas money from people when he drives any distance greater than 20 miles. Who the hell does that? "Friend" is too strong a word. More of an "associate".

oldcaddybuyer
04-08-13, 07:24 PM
I live in GA and had to go to IN and MI to get what I was looking for. Dad needs to expand his horizons. It will hold up to the HS parking lot better than any eco box ever will.

Aron9000
04-08-13, 08:53 PM
Okay last car I bought was 1000 miles away. Cadillacs in this condition just do not pop up every day. Hell if I were in the market I'd consider flying into FL and driving it back to TN, it looks beautiful in the pictures. Love the white on red combo.

Seville fan
04-12-13, 04:02 AM
Hey that white 89 FWB I told you about on Ebay finally sold for $5,800. Today there is a new low mile white one for sale, this with a starting at bid of $5,895. Pretty much what I paid for my 40K mile 86 FWB a few months ago.

Between these two Ebay cars it should be easy to convince your dad that the one you want to see is priced correctly at around $6,000. Of course try to get it for a bit less than that.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-12-13, 08:39 AM
I'm assuming this is your first car? Great choice. Convince your pops to spring for it, and if you take care of it, its value is only going to go up.

My second car was my 89 Brougham, and it's one of the best cars a teenager could have. Big, safe, and ridiculously reliable. In eight years I never did anything to mine besides regular maintenance, and mine wasn't even pampered before I bought it, only paid 1k. If you're interested in learning how to turn your own wrenches, pick up a maintenance manual and this is a great car to learn on. Having a big car like this will also make you a better driver as it forces you to be a little more aware of your surroundings, and you have to be a little extra cautious in parking maneuvers. Even at my age, I have too many friends that are scared behind the wheel of anything bigger than a Ford Taurus, and NONE of them can parallel park. I slide my Caddy into the parking spot in front of the comic book store on a weekly basis.

The 8+ years I've spent with my 89 Brougham has convinced me that it is one of the best used cars you can buy, bar none.

DanD
04-12-13, 05:59 PM
You assume right with that, and I know these things are safe (even if they don't have airbags!) I also know that they are comfortable and I prefer the brougham's interior and exterior over the 93-96 fleetwood. Believe it or not, all of my friends believed that the brougham is "Built for people ready to die, and can't turn worth crap next to a Honda Civic". It really is all about trying to convince him to go see one after finding one closeish by. Of course after sitting in a 76 Fleetwood Talisman, nothing seems to be as comfortable!(But I doubt that's a good 1st car)

Cadillac Giovanni
04-12-13, 08:04 PM
Never driven one, but the 76 Fleetwood is likely just as reliable if in good condition, but far, far less manageable for every day driving. Most agree that fit and finish in the late 80s Brougham is much better as well.

While I wouldn't try racing a Honda Civic in a Brougham, it's surprisingly agile for such a big Caddy. I've been driving my new 95 Fleetwood for about a month now, and every now and then I go back to the Brougham for short trips, and I do believe the Brougham out-handles its successor. The 93-96 Fleetwood is longer wider and heavier, so it makes sense on paper. You can take S-curves at impressive speeds, as long as you don't fight the weight of the car too much. The difference is really negligible, though, especially considering trade-off for more horsepower.

Yeah, the Brougham is a true classic, I think it's impossible for anyone to not fall in love with the car once they experience it. Mine is going to be passing on to Cadillac heaven sometime soon, and I already miss the hell out of it. I just spent a lot of money on my new Fleetwood, convinced that it would be a significant upgrade, and while it definitely is (especially in the power department), it lacks the panache and style of the Brougham. I find myself still browsing the classifieds for another Brougham, thinking that maybe if the perfect one happens across my doorstep, I'll trade the new Fleetwood for it. Crazier things have happened...

oldcaddybuyer
04-12-13, 08:36 PM
Never driven one, but the 76 Fleetwood is likely just as reliable if in good condition, but far, far less manageable for every day driving. Most agree that fit and finish in the late 80s Brougham is much better as well.

While I wouldn't try racing a Honda Civic in a Brougham, it's surprisingly agile for such a big Caddy. I've been driving my new 95 Fleetwood for about a month now, and every now and then I go back to the Brougham for short trips, and I do believe the Brougham out-handles its successor. The 93-96 Fleetwood is longer wider and heavier, so it makes sense on paper. You can take S-curves at impressive speeds, as long as you don't fight the weight of the car too much. The difference is really negligible, though, especially considering trade-off for more horsepower.

Yeah, the Brougham is a true classic, I think it's impossible for anyone to not fall in love with the car once they experience it. Mine is going to be passing on to Cadillac heaven sometime soon, and I already miss the hell out of it. I just spent a lot of money on my new Fleetwood, convinced that it would be a significant upgrade, and while it definitely is (especially in the power department), it lacks the panache and style of the Brougham. I find myself still browsing the classifieds for another Brougham, thinking that maybe if the perfect one happens across my doorstep, I'll trade the new Fleetwood for it. Crazier things have happened...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/triple-black-98k-third-owner-/121092935238?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c31b38e46

89 Triple black w/Astroroof 98k

Cadillac Giovanni
04-12-13, 10:22 PM
Haha, I was looking that one over. No D'Elegance interior, though, so I'll have to pass. I'm not that eager to give up my new Fleetwood.

cadillac_al
04-13-13, 07:31 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/triple-black-98k-third-owner-/121092935238?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c31b38e46

89 Triple black w/Astroroof 98k

Now that car is beautiful. I can't believe I haven't owned one of those yet. That is exactly the kind of interior that I like. Nice wide flat leather seats that are easy to get in and out of; and oh so clean. Thanks for the reality check. After I sell some of my older cars I am going to search for one of those.

I wish I could save pictures from ebay. I used to be able to but something has changed so I can't anymore.

oldcaddybuyer
04-13-13, 01:28 PM
Haha, I was looking that one over. No D'Elegance interior, though, so I'll have to pass. I'm not that eager to give up my new Fleetwood.

Nobody said give up the 95 lol

----------

Now that car is beautiful. I can't believe I haven't owned one of those yet. That is exactly the kind of interior that I like. Nice wide flat leather seats that are easy to get in and out of; and oh so clean. Thanks for the reality check. After I sell some of my older cars I am going to search for one of those.

I wish I could save pictures from ebay. I used to be able to but something has changed so I can't anymore.

I've looked for a clean triple black 92 but haven't run across one yet.

Cadillacboy
04-13-13, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the link and cadillac_al , there is trick to save the pics on your computer . You can use PrintScreen button and Paint program . So, press Printscreen button to capture the image and then open Paint program ,then press ctrl and V , that's it :D
Another way is if you have Win7 there is a Snipping Tool , just open it and move your mouse over the images and it automatically saves it ;)

cadillac_al
04-14-13, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the tip Cadillacboy.

Cadillacboy
04-14-13, 12:52 PM
You're welcome :)

selftaught
04-19-13, 10:44 PM
I have to say, looking at the price of these broughams mentioned, I found mine on Craigslist for 1700, with 34k original mileage. Ive posted a couple times with pictures on this forum. And I got really lucky. Like basically stole the car lucky. Do you guys ever use Craigslist at all?

DanD
04-20-13, 12:03 AM
I do, but the same junkers pop up. And that 89 brougham that i started this thread about went back on ebay. Something tells me he wants too much for it.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-20-13, 03:16 PM
Yeah, craigslist is hit and miss, and it's difficult and annoying to search for these cars. A lot of people don't properly ID the cars in their posts, so you have to search each local region TWICE (once for "brougham" and once for "fleetwood"). When I bought my 95 Cadillac Fleetwood, it was advertised just as a "Brougham". Searching for "cadillac fleetwood" would not bring it up.

oldcaddybuyer
04-23-13, 09:39 AM
Yeah, craigslist is hit and miss, and it's difficult and annoying to search for these cars. A lot of people don't properly ID the cars in their posts, so you have to search each local region TWICE (once for "brougham" and once for "fleetwood"). When I bought my 95 Cadillac Fleetwood, it was advertised just as a "Brougham". Searching for "cadillac fleetwood" would not bring it up.

:yeah:

It's amazing how many different ways people title their post when they advertise these cars for sale.

bigm57ict
04-23-13, 10:10 AM
I've found you have to take it a step further. I search for "cad*", then filter manually.
Many people on there don't even know how to spell "Cadillac". Some will list it as "Caddy" or 'Lac
I've seen many posts where they don't even identify the model. They only say "1995 Cadillac for sale"

I'm not even going to list all the creative ways people spell Brougham...