: Recent 2004 purchase w/ issues.

jonathan2169
04-04-13, 05:16 PM
Good day all. I recently purchased a 2004 CTS-V with 98K. Very excited about the performance and luxury. Less excited when I wrap my head around the repairs it needs ASAP. I will be using(and prolly misusing) this site often as I milk you pros for info. Hopefully small words for me as I am GREEN. :D

First order for me was to take it to a dealer for a quick diagnostic. $115 seemed worth it. The list of issues made my head spin, and the pricing even more so. Some quick research found what appears to be a decent site for "non-dealer-marked-up" parts:

http://www.newgmparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=213815

Ordered a new SWPS($77) to get rid of the "Stability System Engaged" notices(and accompanying ABS). This will probably be my first DIY. This site is gonna be my guide for that.

Next is the water pump the dealer said needed to be replaced. I hadn't seen any leaks until a 2' puddle after driving it last nite. So I will check the hoses and the radiator, but from what is usually the case on these posts, I'll be replacing the water pump. Any links with a detailed move-by-move on that?

Shortly after is the dreaded motor mounts. Again dealer said the original ones are worn, but I'm always leary that they just go by the mileage and assume. What are some of the symptoms I should look for?

With that, and problem that concerns me the most (from a potential cost standpoint), is the bump I get when pulling out from a stop(1st and then sometimes 2nd gear). If I do anything other than creeeep forward, I get at least one, usually 2 hard knocks from what feels like right beneath me. The dealer mentioned the aftermarket exhaust was "separating". A quick glance peaking at the piping it appears to be intact, but is it possible that it is bumping the bottom when I accelerate from a stop? Or could it be related to the motor mounts?

Anyway, I know it's tough to diagnose from the internet, but I am hoping enough people had similar correctible issues and can help my guide my way and hopefully $ave a few bucks (i.e.: dealer tried to charge $550 for the SWPS change out, and $140 just for the part!!!).

Thanks in advance for any help, and happy cruising to all of us!

P-Funk
04-04-13, 05:46 PM
Others will have much more information for you than I will, but here is my $0.02.

For the motor mounts, go with aftermarket. From what I've gathered, Revshift make a good motor mount that should last and not too expensive.

As for the puddle of water, could it be AC condensation? You can get a pretty good amount of water under the car from that.

perfect
04-04-13, 06:00 PM
The motor mounts (if they are stock) are typically worn out fast unless replaced with an aftermarket solution (mine are UUC's...I think). They are not too hard to replace... there are definitely writeups in the FAQ.

I wouldn't jump to replacing the water pump just yet. A lot of V owners have been told replace their water pumps at the first sign of leaking and that isn't always necessary. I'll let Darkman jump in with his usual post about how to diagnose and fix the coolant leaking issues. V's are notorious for looking coolant.

The bumping you're experiencing could be the parade clunk that many users complain about. There are several hypotheses for what causes it - and just as many solutions as to how to fix. It's not always the end of the world.

jonathan2169
04-04-13, 06:12 PM
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I am checking out Revshift's website for the mounts right now - will the factory heat sheilds suffice, or do I need to spend more on new ones?

@P-Funk - I appreciate the idea, but I wasn't running the AC, so unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting off easy... I will check Darkman's posts to see what else I can check.

@perfect - I will research the "parade clunk". That's a new one on me and it will sure be a relief if I can find out what the cause is...

odla
04-04-13, 06:36 PM
You can check the mounts yourself. Get under the car and look to see if there is any dried liquid on them. That could also be your bump. Also check the trans mount. That makes a bump too when shifting. The leak. I would check the level and refill it. Keep an eye on it. See if it goes down after a drive. Keep an eye on the temps water pump could be good.

jonathan2169
04-04-13, 06:48 PM
@odla - Thanks for the tip on the dried fluid. As far as the leak, I thought it was curious that the coolant level didn't seem to drop and it looked like it was cycling through the reservoir. Also the temp was normal range. I'll keep an eye on it. Also is there a good lead on transmission mounts? I haven't started looking for them yet...

darkman
04-04-13, 08:10 PM
See:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/285121-greetings-coolant-leak-question.html#post3263720 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/285121-greetings-coolant-leak-question.html#post3263720)
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/283901-coolant-issue-drifting.html#post3246689 (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/283901-coolant-issue-drifting.html#post3246689)

As indicated by P-Funk above, make sure the fluid on the gorund is coolant as opposed to plain water condensate from the air conditioner.

Both the water pump and the radiator are candidates for the source of a coolant leak.

JDB
04-04-13, 08:39 PM
Coolant leak is probably the rad.

Clunk is probably a combination of motor mounts, trans mount, rear diff bushing.

Sounds like all common problems we've all had to deal with.

D3l7a3ch0
04-04-13, 09:15 PM
hey i just saw your post in the D3 cadillac thread... you're in signal hill? I'm in Cerritos, do you have a place to work on your car/do you know how/do you have tools?

want a hand? come by...!

along with my housemates, we're currently tearing apart a Greddy turbo'd S2000 (http://i.imgur.com/r4YGdfn.jpg) with some issues in the cylinder walls, and we basically have a car in repair status -all- the time

my housemates are my high school friends, we go back 15 years+, we have a house together and it's just... all hours of the day something's going on.

I was a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic sergeant in the air force, then I worked for united rentals as a field mechanic... though I'm not a mechanic by trade anymore, I'm in school now (pre-engineering), and I was a medic sergeant in the Army between my mechanic days and now

one of our friends is currently a dealership mechanic (won't say where on this forum... it's local, it's big-name), and we just had another friend move in who is a diesel mechanic.

that's a lift, that was never assembled, I think I will sell it. I think. maybe. I'm planning some work to my V, but I just don't know when... and we're also remodeling the house, so the TV is displaced from the upstairs room at the moment (you'll see)

come by, this weekend even, we'll kick it and take a look at your V (wait, that doesn't right) we'll take a look at your car

I don't drink, though my housemates do(wrenching over some beers is a-ok), we don't do drugs, although one of my housemates uses one of those bulky vape things... we're all working professionals and I'm a student... none of us have kids.

they all have street bikes, with the exception of myself and one other guy--shit's not good for your health lol

this house is never-never land and we're the lost boys

most of the people we know, we met at car gatherings... and over time they've become close friends. "car friends" is normal here. (while i was off in the service, there were 3 F-body camaros between my housemates, so we have a lot of corvette and camaro friends.. but, tastes change, and my V and the GTO are the only chevy GM cars now)

the cars between us:
07 V
08 M5 (manual)
09(?) saturn sky redline(? the one with the turbo)
10 335i
06 GTO (LS2)
the S2000, forgot what year, it's the 2nd gen

...all black on black.

and no, I don't charge $ for work, that's not what we do. as long as you're doing most of the wrenching, and it sounds like that's what you're looking to do, it's just a place to work on your stuff and I'm available on the weekends...

if your schedule allows and you need to work on your car over two or three days, you can crash here but I could also just drop you off at your place and pick you up the next day, that's not a problem. annnyway

PM me if you're interested! I'm headed back to class (Cypress) until 9pm. Physics~

//what color is it? please say black please say black that would be so awesome (not-black is cool too)

JDB
04-04-13, 09:39 PM
Maybe you should drink...

D3l7a3ch0
04-04-13, 11:49 PM
Hah. I've had my share of alcohol. Guess what -that- was like

//just got home, still missing a couple, but... if i'm lyin' i'm dyin' (http://i.imgur.com/pOD0nrA.jpg)

mstrjon32
04-05-13, 01:04 AM

Sounds like 3 GM cars to me...

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 01:07 AM
of course! <-prone to mistaks

jonathan2169
04-05-13, 01:30 AM
Sounds like your set up is perfect! As I said, I am greener than green but I am an aspiring DIY weekend warrior. :)
Sad to say, not black on black. If I had my druthers I would. I'd luv to swing by and check it out! Send me an email at jonathan2169@hotmail.com and I'll get u my number.
Looking forward!

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 01:30 AM
hey i just saw your post in the D3 cadillac thread... you're in signal hill? I'm in Cerritos, do you have a place to work on your car/do you know how/do you have tools?

want a hand? come by...!

along with my housemates, we're currently tearing apart a Greddy turbo'd S2000 (http://i.imgur.com/r4YGdfn.jpg) with some issues in the cylinder walls, and we basically have a car in repair status -all- the time

my housemates are my high school friends, we go back 15 years+, we have a house together and it's just... all hours of the day something's going on.

I was a diesel/heavy equipment mechanic sergeant in the air force, then I worked for united rentals as a field mechanic... though I'm not a mechanic by trade anymore, I'm in school now (pre-engineering), and I was a medic sergeant in the Army between my mechanic days and now

one of our friends is currently a dealership mechanic (won't say where on this forum... it's local, it's big-name), and we just had another friend move in who is a diesel mechanic.

that's a lift, that was never assembled, I think I will sell it. I think. maybe. I'm planning some work to my V, but I just don't know when... and we're also remodeling the house, so the TV is displaced from the upstairs room at the moment (you'll see)

come by, this weekend even, we'll kick it and take a look at your V (wait, that doesn't right) we'll take a look at your car

I don't drink, though my housemates do(wrenching over some beers is a-ok), we don't do drugs, although one of my housemates uses one of those bulky vape things... we're all working professionals and I'm a student... none of us have kids.

they all have street bikes, with the exception of myself and one other guy--shit's not good for your health lol

this house is never-never land and we're the lost boys

most of the people we know, we met at car gatherings... and over time they've become close friends. "car friends" is normal here. (while i was off in the service, there were 3 F-body camaros between my housemates, so we have a lot of corvette and camaro friends.. but, tastes change, and my V and the GTO are the only chevy GM cars now)

the cars between us:
07 V
08 M5 (manual)
10 335i
06 GTO (LS2)
the S2000, forgot what year, it's the 2nd gen

...all black on black.

and no, I don't charge $ for work, that's not what we do. as long as you're doing most of the wrenching, and it sounds like that's what you're looking to do, it's just a place to work on your stuff and I'm available on the weekends...

if your schedule allows and you need to work on your car over two or three days, you can crash here but I could also just drop you off at your place and pick you up the next day, that's not a problem. annnyway

PM me if you're interested! I'm headed back to class (Cypress) until 9pm. Physics~

//what color is it? please say black please say black that would be so awesome (not-black is cool too)

That's pretty awesome, dude. Can I come kick it too? Lol.

jonathan2169
04-05-13, 01:31 AM
Thanks JDB! Glad I'm not alone... :)

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 02:07 AM
Sounds like your set up is perfect! As I said, I am greener than green but I am an aspiring DIY weekend warrior. :)
Sad to say, not black on black. If I had my druthers I would. I'd luv to swing by and check it out! Send me an email at jonathan2169@hotmail.com and I'll get u my number.
Looking forward!

awesome! the best way to describe the atmosphere around here is "whatever" lol

That's pretty awesome, dude. Can I come kick it too? Lol.

yeah, i mean, should I have mentioned this sooner?

we don't -cruise- anymore, I can't think of an exact reason why... it seems like that type of thing just fell off for no reason. it would be nice to.

we're all into computers... one of the rooms downstairs is a server room (http://i.imgur.com/TPOJ0xD.jpg), we have computer LANs a lot(lol me when i was blonde (http://i.imgur.com/lBU8UfA.jpg)). two of the guys work in the computer industry... one as a contracted office space network installer, and the other in corporate IT (at one of the world's largest restaurant company's headquarters in Orange County)

any chance you're into Electronica? the guy with the M5 also has a fleetwood RV that's decked out with a sound system and lights and fog machines... we have a bunch of people show up for the commute to raves just about every other weekend (http://i.imgur.com/6hOQrsg.jpg). That's gained us a lot of new friends in the last year. (I was the default driver (http://i.imgur.com/UGifXrE.jpg) for a while, but that just became too stressful)

he attends track days (http://i.imgur.com/JLOYBQW.jpg)... so if you're into that, it's a lot nicer with RV support... as for me, I refuse to put my V through it.

//i know. the fact that i've posted so many pictures is weird in itself. we are definitely not your normal group of hoodlums. everything about us is polarizing, to say the least, but I guess it's just to give you an idea who you're crossing paths with (lol)

regardless of how you feel about this house (codename: bangarang), the work on your V will get done. I swear.

and me, i'm just manic (http://i.imgur.com/Yk45Z8a.jpg). always have been

//having a few V's out front would be kind of awesome (and a nice change)

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 03:19 AM
That's awesome! Looks like you guys know how to have a pretty good time yet still get your shit done. Very cool. I would love to roll through but I'm actually in San Diego so it makes it a little harder.

Any chance of you making it down to the Palomar Mountain cruise on April 14th. It would be awesome to see some V's at that thing.

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 03:26 AM
hah Palomar Mountain cruise, I'm not familiar with it... I googled it but I got a bunch of travel/siteseeing sites... then I narrowed the search to this site and found you

what's um... where's the meet up, do you have a link so I can find out more

//duh. disregard, I found the socal thread... lol <-... you know.

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 03:39 AM
Haha. I figured you stumble across it pretty quick. I've been up that road a few times in my old Acura TL (can you say body roll) but I know it's one of those pretty well known "fun" drives.

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 04:52 AM
sounds good! GMR (Glendora Mountain Road) is a nice one.. the turbo S2000 was built as a hill climber on that road. I will pass along the info to the housemates

no one's even talked of a cruise in a while, maybe I just need to bring it up.

joshuajohn1981
04-05-13, 05:17 AM
Very cool. Hope you guys can make it!

Andringa
04-05-13, 09:23 AM
If you have a clunk on/off throttle that is right below your shifter area try searching the site for information about the center carrier bearing in our driveshaft.

We have a 2 piece driveshaft with a support in the middle. The rubber in that center carrier can get lose which allows the driveshaft to move around. At your miles I'd check it out.