: WTF - FRONT END KNOCK on a brand new V Wagon !

RobbE
04-04-13, 02:32 PM
Hi All.....

OK I love my car. only have had it for 2 weeks. The other night i was backing out of my driveway, and as I turned the wheels to back out, I heard this very loud KNOCK !. Coming from the front end, or wheels, or something..... I don't really know to be honest.

Thought nothing of it.... 2 days ago. Same thing..... and this morning it did it again. It only happens when I am stopped, and begin to back out and turn the wheels. driving, and other daily use, no knock. Just when its been parked for awhile.

I actually got out of the car to see if I had run over something, or hit something. nada.

My question,

Anyone had a similar issue to this ?

Ive never heard this noise out of a car in my life....

any help would be great, so I can go to the dealer armed with info !

cdog533
04-04-13, 02:43 PM
Yes, it's tire crabbing. It's normal for this car and some others. Dealer can't do anything. It's the suspension/tire combo.

There's a lot of posts on here about it. Summary: don't worry about it.

pat2t2f
04-04-13, 02:50 PM
Cdog is right. It's mostly a cold weather issue. Once the weather warms up it won't be an issue

RobbE
04-04-13, 02:54 PM
REALLY !!!!!

Cold weather, and tire crabbing......

Thats sounds like a joke.... on a car like this. Never heard of this in my life.

So when I put my new rims and tires on, SAME DEAL ??

pat2t2f
04-04-13, 03:04 PM
It's not the car... It's the summer tires. The soft rubber compound in the tires gets hard in the cold weather. Next winter get winter tires and you will not have the problem.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 03:22 PM
Baptism by fire. You, my friend, have created the 224th thread on this characteristic...

hulksdaddy
04-04-13, 03:30 PM
Baptism by fire. You, my friend, have created the 224th thread on this characteristic...

I'll take the over....

cdog533
04-04-13, 03:30 PM
Here's a faily complete thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-general/279172-front-wheel-grabs-pops-when-backing.html

RobbE
04-04-13, 03:38 PM
I will have winter tires on... I just got the car 2 weeks ago..... so its stock.

Thanx for the tip boys.

flatrockguy
04-04-13, 04:12 PM
Here is the TSB for the issue that states it is normal for these tires and suspension..

xTooltipElement
Service Information
Document ID: 3392869
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC4986D: Normal Characteristic - Binding Felt Driving Forward Or In Reverse With Steering At Full Lock - (Apr 3, 2013)
Subject: Normal Characteristic - Binding Felt Driving Forward Or In Reverse With Steering At Full Lock

Models: 2008- 2013 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V with RWD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4986C.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/ConcernA customer may comment that they feel a bind condition when the car is in reverse, or driving forward and the steering wheel is turned to the full-lock position (i.e. backing out or pulling in a parking spot or driveway). The condition may be described by the customer as similar to driving a 4WD truck with the front hubs locked. The condition may also be thought of as being caused by excessive tightness in the limited slip differential. It is more noticeable on wet surfaces and in vehicles with the FE3, and FE4 suspensions. The tire used with the FE1 suspension has a taller sidewall and does not exhibit the "stick-slip" condition.

2008 - 2009 FE3 QUR CTS with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (18") tires may exhibit this condition. 2009 - 2013 FE4 Q42 CTS-V with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (19") tires may exhibit this condition. 2010 - 2013 FE3 QOM CTS, CTS Wagon with Continental ContiSport 3 (19") tires may exhibit this condition.

Recommendation/Instructions 

Customer InformationPlease communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.

ADDITIONAL SI KEYWORDS:
bumping chunking chatter crow crowhop hop jerking line lot noise turn

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

2013 General Motors. All rights reserved.

1997BlackETC
04-04-13, 11:51 PM
I just had that happen today backing out of a parking spot, I thought I banged the left front wheel on a curb and got another ding on it, thankfully it was just this described noise. It mainly happens when you cut the wheel all the way and back up.

RobbE
04-05-13, 02:28 PM
Crazy that this is a common thing with this car....... i own a vett, second one actually. I also have had a few other high performance cars in my day, and never ever had this happen. I have new rims on order, and will not be running PS2's on it for this reason. Pirelli Pzero have served me well in the past, so I am going to go that route. I hope it helps.

Its not cool, when your buddy is laughing at you in your 80,000 cars a few weeks old.

At least I know I am not the only one who said WTF WAS THAT !!!!!!!!!!! when it happened to them...

thanx boys,...

smackdownCTSV
04-05-13, 03:15 PM
^ Maybe he was laughing at you for paying "80,000" for it.

thebigjimsho
04-05-13, 05:58 PM
It's a quirky characteristic. If anyone ever said anything, I'd just brag its a small price to pay to be able to do this:__________!

Fill in the blank by doing any p00p causing extreme moves of your choice...

sfvagon
04-05-13, 09:11 PM
Funny, I was just reading Evo magazine's long term update on the RS4 Avant ... a luxury wagon about the same price (in Euros) that has it's own completely different knocking noises :bigroll:

"They all do that, sir" was definitely not the response I was expecting from Audi after it took our RS4 in for two weeks to investigate the pesky knocking noise ... the official line .... is that the noise coming from the front end is caused by the dampers ... and that they're supposed to sound like that!

RaVeNous
04-06-13, 09:47 AM
It's normal. I've had other cars do it. Lots of cars do it. I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the tire might slip on pavement when you crank the wheel because the camber doesn't allow as much bearing surface tire to pavement as you crank the wheel.

If you're buddy laughs at you simply say...

"Yes well how is that POS mini van treating you? Has your wife "allowed" you to break out the Xbox this week, or is she too busy enjoying the "nice" car of the family, while you go to work, and shes out getting her hair done with those fish eating friends?"