: New 2013 V Wagon W/Supercharger Rattle

gjnockie
04-04-13, 08:16 AM
My 2 day old 2013 with 70 miles on it seems to have the dreaded Supercharger rattle at idle already. I did not know about this before I purchased the car. I am not at all happy.
Sounds like a bucket of marbles when idling. Could it possibly quiet down as I accumulate a few more miles? Anyone else with a 13' that is experiencing the same issue?106193

cts-v ls6
04-04-13, 09:11 AM
Almost all the V2's have the rattle. Mine is a 2010 and it did. Then I had the supercharger replaced with the new superceeded part number because a bearing went out in it. The brand new supercharger, replaced under warranty at the dealer, had the rattle. I drove the car straight to my shop and they put a solid isolator in the blower. No more rattle and she runs great.

Jack

stl_ls1gto
04-04-13, 10:14 AM
got mine a couple weeks ago, no rattle so far

USAFRET
04-04-13, 10:44 AM
My recently purchased pre-owned 2011 V coupe is silent and lord knows I'm trying to find all the bugs in this car and have my dealer correct them.

It was a GM executive driven vehicle so maybe they fixed it. It just turned 4650 miles and isn't making ANY "can of marbles" sounds. But none of the records I have to include a full GMVIS report indicate this was fixed, so maybe it's only a matter of time before mine starts to make that noise, or could it be that it's sporadic?

Correct me if Iím wrong, this noise is not a sign of pending doom itís just an annoyance - Right?

1997BlackETC
04-04-13, 11:34 AM
No rattle on mine when idling, I do hear the backlash rattle when I turn off the motor though, same as my 2012. Maybe the rattle is something else, you should setup an appointment at the dealer to get it checked out. Something does not sound right.

Trapspeed
04-04-13, 11:37 AM
Correct me if I’m wrong, this noise is not a sign of pending doom it’s just an annoyance - Right?

Correct. So they say.

yaymitch
04-04-13, 11:44 AM
My 2013 has 2000 miles on it and no rattle.

quikag
04-04-13, 12:10 PM
My 2012 has the rattle. I just ignore it and plus you can only hear it when standing outside the car. It's not a mechanical problem, just an annoying sound.

neuronbob
04-04-13, 12:43 PM
My 4k mile old 2013 wagon doesn't have it yet. I'm likely to just change to a solid isolator or buy a new stock isolator if I do get the sound. I had a solid isolator on my 09 V and no issues when I traded at 45k miles.....whoever bought my old V got a car with all the bugs worked out!

musclecar6
04-04-13, 12:54 PM
1700 miles on my 2012 & no rattle.

hulksdaddy
04-04-13, 01:26 PM
IMO, who has or does not have the rattle is usually more a matter of hearing than anything else. Sure, there are degrees to the noise, but I've been around cars that say they don't have a rattle, but I can hear it. Same goes for rattles, squeaks and creaks inside the car.

DCV
04-04-13, 01:27 PM
2009 V with 23K miles and no rattles.

RaVeNous
04-04-13, 01:34 PM
I can barely hear it on my 2011. I was concerned after reading about it on the forums; however, it sounds like it isn't an issue and more of an annoyance.

Keep in mind, you break open the new supercharger to "solve" the issue and you just voided the warranty.

gjnockie
04-04-13, 01:55 PM
Thanks for everyone chiming in so far. My starter motor also sounds like the Bendix gear in the starter is hanging up a little when I start the car. Hopefully it's just tight. Other than that the car seems to be fine. I hope I have better luck with this one than my last GM car.

Does anyone know if the top of the dash and door panels are real leather? My car does have Recaro seats.

hulksdaddy
04-04-13, 02:19 PM
They're leather...ish.

Jinx
04-04-13, 04:09 PM
I recall from an earlier thread that there was a running production change to the supercharger some time in the 2013 model year to the same newer part that some owners have had installed. The idea behind the old part was to avoid a whining noise; the idea behind the new part is to accept the whining noise to avoid the eventual rattling noise.

Is this true or am I imagining things? Anybody know about when the change happened?
gjnockie, what's the build date on your car?

And is that black diamond or black raven? Photos of black raven wagons with polished wheels have proven difficult to come by, and I need something to tide me over for another seven weeks or so.

.Jinx

gjnockie
04-04-13, 04:42 PM
I recall from an earlier thread that there was a running production change to the supercharger some time in the 2013 model year to the same newer part that some owners have had installed. The idea behind the old part was to avoid a whining noise; the idea behind the new part is to accept the whining noise to avoid the eventual rattling noise.

Is this true or am I imagining things? Anybody know about when the change happened?
gjnockie, what's the build date on your car?

And is that black diamond or black raven? Photos of black raven wagons with polished wheels have proven difficult to come by, and I need something to tide me over for another seven weeks or so.

.Jinx

My Build date was 03/13. Fresh off the line I would suspect.
The Car is Black Raven.

cts-v ls6
04-04-13, 09:10 PM
As mentioned above, I have the new part number blower. It did NOT have the solid isolator.

Jack

gjnockie
04-04-13, 10:07 PM
As mentioned above, I have the new part number blower. It did NOT have the solid isolator.

Jack

So do you think that mine has the new blower since it was just built?

What was your build date?

Kluch
04-04-13, 11:58 PM
Jesse from wait4me has posted on several occasions that he has torn apart several new 2013 blowers and not one of them has the solid isolator. I believe him when he says there has not been a change even with the new part #

cadillactech524
04-06-13, 05:58 PM
The GM service bulletin says if the rattle goes away at about 1300rpms its normal. If it doesnt then it says to take the belt off and run the engine at 1300rpms. If the noise is then gone we are replacing the superchargers.

CVP33
04-07-13, 12:49 AM
Why does this only seem to affect the CTS-V's? Can't find anything about this with ZR1's or ZL1's.

Jinx
04-07-13, 01:03 AM
Chevy drivers are used to living with all kinds of noises ;)

CVP33
04-07-13, 09:23 AM
Chevy drivers are used to living with all kinds of noises ;)

Probably true, but same if not similar motor and I just don't hear the complaints. Smaller quantities too, but just the same. My 2010 didn't have the problem so I've really never heard/experienced it myself. And honestly the ZL1 at start up is pretty noisy any way as the exhaust baffles are full open. The CAI passes through the S/C'r whine too.

Kluch
04-07-13, 07:39 PM
Zl1's have the rattle too. Just check camaro5. There's even a poll!

HUGN*RDS
04-08-13, 04:02 PM
what's the deal with the updated part number? Updated ZL1 Camaro blower?

Trapspeed
04-08-13, 04:31 PM
I just got a call from the Service Director at my local Cadillac dealership. He was extremely easy to deal with and is ordering me a new blower and rear differential unit without me even bringing my car in. In a nutshell, he told me that GM has had several revelations about the isolator not "working as designed" and they've been replacing so many of them under warranty they're slightly backordered. Quite a contrast from the song and dance I was getting from the other folks I was dealing with. Now, as soon as the parts get here and they go on I'll start my cartwheels. Stay tuned.

HUGN*RDS
04-08-13, 08:51 PM
^^would you be able to check of the blower has a new part number? maybe on the work order?

Trapspeed
04-08-13, 09:14 PM
I certainly can. As soon as it gets here I'll check on it.

RapidRob
04-08-13, 11:00 PM
-^^^- Might be my story as well - just had the new part no. SC installed under warranty and the isolator rattle is gone. The old SC rattled since the V was new. So it looks like they may be more agreeable to replacing the SC if you have the rattle issue. Certainly worth a try IMO ...

Rob

CVP33
04-09-13, 12:00 AM
Zl1's have the rattle too. Just check camaro5. There's even a poll!

Yup found it. Looks like it went dead from December to April and then picked up some recent hits. Nothing from mine so far, but only 600 miles.

Jims_97_ETC
04-09-13, 12:08 AM
I just got a used 2011 CTS-V sedan and am very happy with it. I looked at three before I bought this one. The first one was a diamond white 2009 sedan and I was hot for it but before it got to the lot the dealer picked up a supercharger rattle and sent it back to auction for them to get the warranty repair.

My car has about 25,000 miles on it and no problems, no codes, no rattle. This thread has me concerned that I might want to look into a parts change to avoid possible supercharger problems down the road. I don't have any mods planned. Is this just newbie paranoia, or should I ask my dealer about a newer isolator? Or, should I give GM a few months to bring out a new part design that fixes the problem?

neuronbob
04-09-13, 07:06 AM
^^^^
Don't lose sleep over it. The noise is an annoyance, not a safety issue. If it happens to you, then you have the option of either going to the dealer and asking for a replacement under warranty, or handling it yourself and placing a solid or new OEM isolator outside of the warranty.

Trapspeed
04-09-13, 08:20 AM
-^^^- Might be my story as well - just had the new part no. SC installed under warranty and the isolator rattle is gone. The old SC rattled since the V was new. So it looks like they may be more agreeable to replacing the SC if you have the rattle issue. Certainly worth a try IMO ...

Rob

Do you have the part number off your paperwork?

RapidRob
04-09-13, 06:29 PM
- ^^^ - I'll get the number ASAP Trap - rainy day here so I left the V home.

Rob

Trapspeed
04-09-13, 09:12 PM
- ^^^ - I'll get the number ASAP Trap - rainy day here so I left the V home.

Rob

No sweat bro. The others may be curious, too. I'll compare it to mine when I get my swap done.

RapidRob
04-09-13, 10:49 PM
No sweat bro. The others may be curious, too. I'll compare it to mine when I get my swap done.

OK - the pt. number of the SC swapped into my V last week was: 19301022, "SUPERCHARGER KI".
Along with the new SC, they also ordered/installed: 19180613 Gasket Kit; 12613457 Gasket; and 12576549 Seal.

Rob

Trapspeed
04-10-13, 12:03 AM
Sweet. I'll compare mine hopefully in the coming weeks.

austin
04-10-13, 07:56 AM
1st... Congrats on your new Vagon!

I have a 2011 V with 17k and no supercharger rattle. It is quiet as church mouse. I would locate another 2013 at a local dealer and give it a start to compare the noise it makes to yours.

Jims_97_ETC
04-11-13, 02:01 PM
I've had a 2011 CTS-V sedan with 25,000 miles on it for a couple of weeks now, starting with a drive from Texas to the Philly area the first couple of days. It's very quiet. In normal driving you wouldn't know that it is supercharged. When called upon, the supercharger moves in seamlessly and is not audible except for a very faint supercharger whine when providing significant boost.

If your superchargers has a rattle and your warranty is in effect, talk to your dealer.