: 89 Brougham Engine Swap

reelheavy
04-03-13, 09:54 PM
Now that my 307 is toast. I think it is time to get serious and start rebuilding my Llac like I want it.

I am debating in between a 350 or 454 and I think I am going with the 454.

Is there any sites that have decent motors at a reasonable price? Because I just cant come to grips with letting the car go. Its my first car and I have some more miles to put on it. So any suggestions or things I should know about before I get started.

cadillac kevin
04-03-13, 10:22 PM
look for a running rusty GM pickup truck or 70s sedan and pull the engine and trans out of it

jayoldschool
04-04-13, 11:01 AM
Why not just try changing your oil pump?

If you are set on an engine swap, remember that a different engine family requires many details: different mounts, accessory drive, wiring. Any engine with higher HP will need a different trans and rear end (and driveshaft to fit). This won't be a simple remove/replace operation.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-04-13, 11:35 AM
Try getting a rebuilt 307 from Jasper. My father put a Jasper rebuild in his work van and it's great. I think there's a nice warranty on them as well. They even find a local installer for you.

If you're talking about the Oldsmobile 350 engine, I think that would be the same engine block, just with bigger displacement, so shouldn't it bolt right in? I remember researching this years ago, but I could be wrong...

cadillac kevin
04-04-13, 11:39 AM
Try getting a rebuilt 307 from Jasper. My father put a Jasper rebuild in his work van and it's great. I think there's a nice warranty on them as well. They even find a local installer for you.

If you're talking about the Oldsmobile 350 engine, I think that would be the same engine block, just with bigger displacement, so shouldn't it bolt right in? I remember researching this years ago, but I could be wrong...

The olds 350 is the same externally as a 307 (so mounts, accessories, etc will bolt right on). If I was going for a rebuild, I'd spring for a 350 (I'd go for a 68-72 spec or at least 73-77 spec one if available)

reelheavy
04-04-13, 11:42 AM
Why not just try changing your oil pump?

If you are set on an engine swap, remember that a different engine family requires many details: different mounts, accessory drive, wiring. Any engine with higher HP will need a different trans and rear end (and driveshaft to fit). This won't be a simple remove/replace operation.

I think I still will start there. But if it is the oil pump wouldn't the car not stay running even at idle because it is not getting enough pressure? Because I ha it started yesterday for 10-15 minutes waiting for the tow truck driver, and it did not shut off once. And there were no lights on, on the dashboard. They only time I would hear the ticking was when I hit the accelerator and that to me sounds like a worn bearing or something internal.

Cadillac Giovanni
04-04-13, 12:03 PM
Yeah, an Olds 350 seems like it would be a good swap, as long as you don't slam on the pedal too hard, the trans should stand up to it. Read this on wikipedia, for your consideration:

"The early Oldsmobile 350s made from 1968-1976 are more desirable engines with heavy castings, beefier crankshafts, and better flowing heads. The later 1977 thru 1980 350 had the "lightweight" castings, including a thinner block with large "windows" in the main bearing bulkheads, crack-prone head castings which were actually manufactured by Pontiac Motor Division (castings are marked "PMD"; these heads were also used on the 260), and a lightened crankshaft."

jayoldschool
04-04-13, 12:13 PM
I think I still will start there. But if it is the oil pump wouldn't the car not stay running even at idle because it is not getting enough pressure? Because I ha it started yesterday for 10-15 minutes waiting for the tow truck driver, and it did not shut off once. And there were no lights on, on the dashboard. They only time I would hear the ticking was when I hit the accelerator and that to me sounds like a worn bearing or something internal.

No oil pressure light? It's "ticking", not "knocking"? That sounds like sticking lifter, bent pushrod, loose rocker, broken valve spring. Get your mechanic to pull the valve covers and have a look/listen. Although, he can probable begin to isolate it with a mechanic's stethoscope (or a piece of wood/long extension/etc). A rod/main knock is unmistakable, and it does not sound like ticking. It sounds like a 3lb sledgehammer hitting a manhole cover.

Fleetwood472
04-04-13, 12:31 PM
Put an Oldsmobile 403 in there man. Those motors were fast and got good great gas mileage. On top of that it would be a more headache free swap. Everything will swap over. Oil pan, engine mounts, pulleys, accessory mounts, and exhaust manifolds. It's literally drop in. You can even reuse your existing transmission but the only thing is you would have to take it easy otherwise that motor will eat that transmission. Your best bet would be to find a 77-79 oldsmobile delta 88 or buick lesabre/electra with an olds 403 and pull the motor/th400 from it. I'd even swap the rear end over too. When I had my stock 425 still in my 78 Fleetwood I raced my buddy with a 79 electra w/403 in it and he would kick my ass everytime. I'ts amazing how much power those oldsmobile 403's had. I would pick that over a 350 any day.