: Siri Hands Free in CUE Update

10mikeymike
04-03-13, 08:27 PM
I've seen several references to Siri Hands Free in the new CUE update. Exactly what is it and how does it work? Yes, I have an iPhone with Siri, but I'm puzzled as to how this integrates with CUE. Other than a couple of new icons for the automatic temperature control and weather I don't see anything new - either on the icon screen or in Settings feature.

reciprocity
04-04-13, 06:33 PM
You may be thinking of "Eyes Free (http://www.apple.com/ios/siri/)". It's an iOS feature that lets you use Siri directly through the car without your phone screen ever lighting up. It's meant to reduce distractions while driving. The CUE update didn't, despite rumors to the contrary, add support for this (even though the Chevy Spark and Sonic got it).

What was added with the update was the ability to activate Siri via the home button on your iPhone. When you do that, you can use Siri through the car as usual, just ignoring the lighted screen.

Hopefully it's a timing issue and they'll add support in future model years directly from the steering wheel so you don't have to fumble for the home button on your phone. (I was hoping for a software change that would enable it on existing cars.)

Bigdogwes
04-11-13, 09:13 AM
You may be thinking of "Eyes Free (http://www.apple.com/ios/siri/)". It's an iOS feature that lets you use Siri directly through the car without your phone screen ever lighting up. It's meant to reduce distractions while driving. The CUE update didn't, despite rumors to the contrary, add support for this (even though the Chevy Spark and Sonic got it).

What was added with the update was the ability to activate Siri via the home button on your iPhone. When you do that, you can use Siri through the car as usual, just ignoring the lighted screen.

Hopefully it's a timing issue and they'll add support in future model years directly from the steering wheel so you don't have to fumble for the home button on your phone. (I was hoping for a software change that would enable it on existing cars.)Chevy spark and not Cadillac XTS...this is just plain WRONG!

RippyPartsDept
04-11-13, 10:01 AM
this would be a great question to lob at codeman to see if he can elaborate on why "eyes free" didn't get added with the recent update and also to ask when it will be added (if it will be added)