: '08 SRX No Start, No Crank

russii
04-03-13, 04:06 PM
'08 SRX 3.6L has been running great. Went to start this AM, and battery was dead (left GPS plugged in...). Charged battery & nothing. Everything appears to work, but when key is turned to "start" all goes dark. No click, no nothing. Any ideas? Is there a security mode that could have been set? Interesting sidenote; the rear hatch will not open, either w/ the remote or handle. Almost acts like the starter. Looking for some troubleshooting steps. Tx!

08SRX
04-03-13, 04:13 PM
Are you sure the battery is actually holding the charge?

russii
04-03-13, 04:17 PM
Yes.. Battery is fine. Did swap batteries, just to be sure.. Tx!

glake89
04-03-13, 05:47 PM
Check fuses in underhood fuse block, esp. ign an ECM

russii
04-03-13, 07:06 PM
Did that .. All good.. Removed batt power f/ 15 min. OnStar says codes B0090 & U0100 are present and Service Airbag shows on DIC.. Should I assume a bad ECM?

glake89
04-03-13, 07:11 PM
No, but get codes erased. It thinks you've rolled the car.

conedoctor
04-03-13, 07:42 PM
I need to drill a bolt out of the body on my race car and I sure wish I could just roll the car over to drill it out.

russii
04-03-13, 10:01 PM
Thanks glake89! I'm working on getting the "magic box" to read & clear the codes. I used to have a '93 ElDorado and could "talk" to it via the Climate Control. Is there any such option on this SRX? Can OnStar clear codes remotely? I really appreciate your input.

glake89
04-04-13, 10:35 AM
You'd have to ask OnStar if they can delete codes. No option to read codes on DIC that I know of. Spend a couple hundred and get a scanner that can do all 4 code types, you won't be sorry.

mjcaddy
04-04-13, 04:36 PM
for now just get any scanner from a friend maybe? and reset it to see, not sure how far are you from autozone but you can always get the scanner and return it.

russii
04-04-13, 06:51 PM
Update: Tried clearing codes w/ scanner. B0090 will not go away. Hauled on flatbed to dealer who I trust. They have 2+ hours into it so far w/ no resolution. Current thought is either roll-over or yaw sensor, either one over $400. Dealer is calling "GM Engineering" in the morning. Sure hope I win the lottery this weekend.

mjcaddy
04-04-13, 09:10 PM
How many miles you have on it ? maybe it's still covered by GM, they replaced my ECM and i only had to pay $200 because it was still under 100k

russii
04-04-13, 11:46 PM
How many miles you have on it ? maybe it's still covered by GM, they replaced my ECM and i only had to pay $200 because it was still under 100k
mjcaddy-Would you please provide me w/ the details? I have 96k miles on the car, but the dealership told me the warranty expired 20Dec12. The only way I'd ever buy another Cadillac is if GM decided to take care of this issue, or at least make it less painful. Thanks in advance!

mjcaddy
04-05-13, 02:17 AM
to be honest that all i got from them i was shocked myself when i found i'm still covered! when they told me it's the ECM i thought i'm screwed, that's at least $1500 gone then they told me that i only need to pay $200 deductible since my car is still under 100k and GM have 100k warranty on it.

conedoctor
04-05-13, 11:14 AM
mjcaddy-Would you please provide me w/ the details? I have 96k miles on the car, but the dealership told me the warranty expired 20Dec12. The only way I'd ever buy another Cadillac is if GM decided to take care of this issue, or at least make it less painful. Thanks in advance!

Really?

russii
04-05-13, 01:10 PM
Update: Just heard from dealer after they spoke w/ GM Engineering. Ordered ECM. Tab so far: $ 1,000... :(

mjcaddy
04-05-13, 05:35 PM
ECM should be part of the powertrain which should be covered by GM, we have the same mileage and I have older car then yours and it was covered.

glake89
04-05-13, 05:47 PM
Late to the party, I know, but you hauled it off to the dealer before I could post. IF a new ECM solves the problem, I'd wager that removing the old one and cleaning all the attachments and grounds (which is what happens when replacing a unit) and re-installing it would deliver the same result, for a lot less money and time.

russii
04-08-13, 07:30 PM
Update: Well it's running again. New ECM & labor. Total bill with towing: $ 1,400. Dealer states no warranty. Waiting to see what GM is willing to do.

repnatl
04-08-13, 10:21 PM
$1400 for 4 10mm bolts that are easily accessible? I know the ecu was high but labor and programming dear god that's crazy

russii
04-13-13, 03:19 PM
Final Resolution: $ 1,305.68. Reply from Laura (socialmedia@gm.com) in part says "...due to you being out of warranty, the dealership not being Cadillac, you not purchasing the vehicle at the dealership and you not being the original owner". Basically "screw you", we got your money. The dealership was a very large GM dealership, and regularly services Cadillacs. It amazes me that there is 4,000 miles left on the 100,000 mile warranty, but the "time" limitation is out by 4 months. I had no idea failures of electronic components were time dependent, and not mileage/usage dependent. I realize "rules are rules", but would have hoped being a 3rd generation, lifetime GM customer would account for something. This SRX will be the last GM vehicle I drive. Sorry for posting the "sour grapes" on this site, but wanted to bring closure to this thread.:(

08SRX
04-13-13, 03:52 PM
Oh c'mon! While it sucks to go through the experience, the warranty clearly states the mileage limit and time limit, whichever COMES FIRST. On the bright side, the $1300 may still be cheaper than extended warranty costs.