: Creeky Console

USAFRET
04-03-13, 02:38 PM
Now that I'm driving my 2011 V coupe to work everyday since I bought it on March 23rd, I've noticed the console creeks badly, especially making a right hand turn and my right leg presses against the console.

I'm surprised by this, is this normal? Can it be fixed? Should I even take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Tom

vfaninva
04-03-13, 02:53 PM
Since mine is newer it may not be a good reference point but, I have not had any creaking problems and have not noticed my knee pressing into the console while turning. Could this be your console has maybe become loosened and shifted slightly out of place? I did not have these issues with my '09 V sedan (same interior w/Recaros, etc..). Definitely a dealer visit. Good luck.

hulksdaddy
04-03-13, 03:09 PM
Mine does as well. Plastic on plastic. Temperature effects it as to how much or how little.

Could probably lube it to stop it. Wouldn't let a dealer touch it. Would probably kill your piano black trim.

----------

BTW Tom, you bought your car on my birthday. :)

SRTVIPER03
04-03-13, 04:39 PM
My V makes noise as well but I think its the seat rubbing against the console. Do you have Recaros? I have a towel between the seat and the console and that takes care of the noise.

USAFRET
04-03-13, 04:46 PM
My V makes noise as well but I think its the seat rubbing against the console. Do you have Recaros? I have a towel between the seat and the console and that takes care of the noise.

Yes, but there's no denying its the console creaking. I can put both hands on either side of it and with little effort cause it to make the creaking noise.

MacBuster
04-03-13, 05:15 PM
welcome to Cadillac!

VMoose
04-04-13, 02:06 AM
What if some sort of powdered graphite lubricant was sprayed in the cracks? I wonder if that would minimize the creaking?

neuronbob
04-04-13, 11:39 AM
This has been an issue since the first 2G V rolled off the assembly line. My 3/09 build V sedan had this. Whenever I pressed on the console, a rare occurrence given the fragility of the finish, it creaked. It never creaked while driving, mind you, but the cheap plastic used made itself known. My 13 V wagon creaks upon applying pressure as well. I suspect placing something in the joints where the center console connects to the car will help things.

Xaqtly
04-04-13, 01:47 PM
Yeah it's one of the places where they saved money. I've gotten over it though, it creaks pretty infrequently and I don't really care any more.

cdog533
04-04-13, 01:48 PM
Yeah, it creaks. Not really fixable. Don't let the dealer know or they'll just butcher it as stated.

On the V1, you could actually loosen it up and move it away from the driver's seat like 1/2 inch. Maybe that possible on the V2 as well.

MacBuster
04-04-13, 03:56 PM
i find the noise from the drivers door armrest to be much more annoying.

USAFRET
04-05-13, 12:11 PM
welcome to Cadillac!

To be fair my son-in-laws 2009 BMW135 coupe makes similar creaking noises, so the grass isn't always greener.

turn1systems
04-05-13, 12:55 PM
I had a 2001 camaro ss that creeked a ton too. Now my V does, but not as bad. I did eventually sell my SS as the rattles and creeks were getting to me. I bought a BMW z3 m-coupe that had the same number of miles on it and it did not creek. I put another 30k on it, and still no creeks. Hopefully my CTS_V wagon does not have many more creeks because I am truly pleased with this vehicle otherwise. GM please take note... creeks count as they slowly wear on you.
Good problems to have :thumbsup:

Trapspeed
04-05-13, 03:53 PM
I had a 2001 camaro ss that creeked a ton too. Now my V does, but not as bad. I did eventually sell my SS as the rattles and creeks were getting to me. I bought a BMW z3 m-coupe that had the same number of miles on it and it did not creek. I put another 30k on it, and still no creeks. Hopefully my CTS_V wagon does not have many more creeks because I am truly pleased with this vehicle otherwise. GM please take note... creeks count as they slowly wear on you.

Slam the gas. You'll forget all about them.

pat2t2f
04-05-13, 10:11 PM
I have about 3,000 miles on my '13 wagon and I don't hear any noise. Not from the sunroof, the console the rotors or the supercharger. Either I have a really good car or I am really def.

hulksdaddy
04-06-13, 01:09 AM
I have about 3,000 miles on my '13 wagon and I don't hear any noise. Not from the sunroof, the console the rotors or the supercharger. Either I have a really good car or I am really def.

You're not "def"....

:leaving:

pat2t2f
04-06-13, 01:19 AM
Perhaps deaf and a bad speller??

thebigjimsho
04-06-13, 04:03 AM
Deafenetely knot!

MacBuster
04-06-13, 04:49 AM
To be fair my son-in-laws 2009 BMW135 coupe makes similar creaking noises, so the grass isn't always greener.

That may be true as you go lower down the range in BMW. But the "real" BMWs (5 series and up), are bolted together with magic and unicorn tears. Mine was an absolute vault even after five years. I couldn't induce squeeks even when I went pawing around under the dash, etc.

RaVeNous
04-06-13, 08:40 AM
WD-40 worked great on my dodge magnum SRT8. Get it in the cracks.

Even a Mercedes creeks and makes noises. A Ferarri makes noise over bumps. Cars flex, particular with extreme temperatures over bumps. I actually avoid bad roads now because driving on them regularly will loosen things up. You could carefully take it apart and add tiny bits of strategic spray foam, felt etc. mass loaded into material if thin enough can help, but in either case its a long road of trial and error.

JFJr
04-06-13, 02:29 PM
WD-40 worked great on my dodge magnum SRT8. Get it in the cracks.Did the WD-40 smell ever go away?

Jud

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-06-13, 11:45 PM
Now that I'm driving my 2011 V coupe to work everyday since I bought it on March 23rd, I've noticed the console creeks badly, especially making a right hand turn and my right leg presses against the console.

I'm surprised by this, is this normal? Can it be fixed? Should I even take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Tom

Dear Tom,

I am sorry for the creek you are experiencing with your console. I do advise taking your vehicle to the dealership because they can properly diagnose this issue. I am more then happy to assist you in setting up an appointment. We are here to be of assistance. If you private message your name, address, phone number, VIN# and current mileage I can look into this issue for you. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

Jinx
04-07-13, 12:07 AM
Could graphite or WD40 damage the finish?

RaVeNous
04-07-13, 01:36 AM
Don't bathe the console in WD-40. Just a little will help. Wipe it down. I never had an issue with smell because I used so litte.

hulksdaddy
04-07-13, 08:50 AM
Uses some baby powder. This way your baby will smell like a baby.

RaVeNous
04-07-13, 09:38 AM
The orignul poaster is cleerly not def.

ptrd
04-07-13, 04:37 PM

Interesting, I went from a s52 M coupe (didn't creak, actually the rear trunk cover did when used), to a 2011 Mini S (creaks), to a 2011 v wagon (creaks). Interesting we almost have a similar progression of cars.