: Running a little Sluggish.... Ideas?

aggierichie
04-02-13, 11:50 PM
Hey Guys. New to the V world but am loving the car so far. In the last few days I have noticed a bit of a lag around 3000 RPMs and it is when i am gradually accelerating. I notice it in 3rd and 4th gear. It honestly feels like carb issues where there is a slight lag then smooth and just doesn't accelerate as smooth as it should. This is VERY slight and you probably wouldn't notice it unless you were really focusing on it.

Based on what I know it sounds like it could be an injector or plugs but it is not throwing any codes. I wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone had any other ideas. The car has 78K miles on it and was owned by an old guy previously so the odds of it having a tune up i believe are slim. I am going to do the plugs this weekend but if you have any thing to add i would really appreciate it.

darkman
04-03-13, 06:56 AM
Typically you would have a Check Engine Light and a code in the computer to indicate some fault if the problem is serious.

Make sure you are running high octane fuel.

If you replace the plugs I would also replace the plug wires. The OEM wires are good enough. If you are on a tight budget you can check the current wires with a multimeter. The maximum acceptable resistance is 1,484 ohms.

Make sure the air filter is fresh.

You could also check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. The spec is 55-62 psi.

Beyond that, I would wait for a Check Engine Light.

Andringa
04-03-13, 10:45 AM
Darkman has a bunch of good suggestions.

Has the fuel filter been replaced? If it has not, or you aren't sure, toss a new fuel filter in and see if that fixes it.

SevillianSTS
04-03-13, 11:46 AM
Could throw some SeaFoam or Lucas Fuel system cleaner in the gas tank.

lollygagger8
04-03-13, 12:22 PM

Darkman always has great suggestions, but I would bet this^

odla
04-03-13, 01:37 PM
we have a serviceable fuel filter?

SevillianSTS
04-03-13, 04:00 PM

Yep, changed mine.

Andringa
04-03-13, 04:08 PM

Yes. If memory serves it is just in front of the driver side rear wheel well. Standard quick disconnect fuel line tools are needed, but it's about a 20-30min job to replace.

izcain
04-03-13, 06:51 PM
Typically you would have a Check Engine Light and a code in the computer to indicate some fault if the problem is serious.

If you replace the plugs I would also replace the plug wires. The OEM wires are good enough. If you are on a tight budget you can check the current wires with a multimeter. The maximum acceptable resistance is 1,484 ohms.

Make sure the air filter is fresh.

You could also check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. The spec is 55-62 psi.

Beyond that, I would wait for a Check Engine Light.

I think this is the best and would probably help out alot!

You have to have a good base to go off of before diagnosing anything anyways!

If you performed each of these suggestions you will probably come across something that stands out as you are going thru them I bet!