: Need Opinions-85 Eldorado

TheChicagoan
04-02-13, 10:22 PM
Hi all,

I've put about 13k into a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado and it seems lately I get the car fixed, drive it three times and another problem creeps up. Ironically the 4.1 motor runs great (knock on wood). But now the service soon light has come on yet again. I figured all the money I have put into this (base coupe) it would be a brand new car. Literally everything mechanically has been replaced except the motor which has either 89k or 189k on it. Were cars from this decade made with low quality parts or are problems like this common with classic car enthusiasts? Also with all the money I have put into it, should I sell it while it's still running, or just bite the bullet and keep it considering all the money put into it? It is my first car and I worked on it with my father a few times so it does have some sentimental value. Lastly, are earlier generation Cadillac's with no computers more reliable cars? Opinions?

Thanks,

TheChicagoan

cadillac kevin
04-04-13, 03:13 PM
Hi all,

I've put about 13k into a 1985 Cadillac Eldorado and it seems lately I get the car fixed, drive it three times and another problem creeps up. Ironically the 4.1 motor runs great (knock on wood). But now the service soon light has come on yet again. I figured all the money I have put into this (base coupe) it would be a brand new car. Literally everything mechanically has been replaced except the motor which has either 89k or 189k on it. Were cars from this decade made with low quality parts or are problems like this common with classic car enthusiasts? Also with all the money I have put into it, should I sell it while it's still running, or just bite the bullet and keep it considering all the money put into it? It is my first car and I worked on it with my father a few times so it does have some sentimental value. Lastly, are earlier generation Cadillac's with no computers more reliable cars? Opinions?

Thanks,

TheChicagoan

I've got 8k or so in my 86 FWB. OTOH, I've only put about 1k into my 83 lesabre (both have similar mileage) So it all depends on how well it was maintained/ how lucky you get.
I wouldn't say that they are made with low quality parts. It's just that they are getting to be 30 years old and parts (many of which should have been replaced years ago) are wearing out. The tires, brakes, and suspension/ steering on my caddy were all shot (original or close to it). Unfortunately, they all kinda wore out at the same time. It also needed a tune up on the engine. OTOH, my lesabre had replaced shocks and brakes (older but still working) when I bought it, so I only had to do front pads, and the engine has been worked on through the years as needed, so it still ran great.
As for selling your car, how much could you get out of it if you sold it? What could you buy for the money you would sell it for that is comprable to it? Is what you could buy for the money something you could live with and would be lower maintenance?