: The Cadillac ATS was *almost* a Cruze-based FWD compact

Jesda
04-02-13, 10:09 PM
GM's Alpha plan to beat the alpha dogs of luxury
Automotive News
April 1, 2013
by Mike Colias

The accolades heaped on Cadillac's ATS compact sedan owe much to the built-from-scratch rear-wheel-drive architecture on which it rides.

It's code-named Alpha, and it's the same platform that underpins the next-generation 2014 Cadillac CTS that was unwrapped last week on the eve of the auto show here. The lean architecture helped Cadillac boast lightest-in-segment claims for both cars.

But Alpha almost never came to be.

In 2007 a debate raged within GM -- which was bleeding cash at the time -- over how to get Cadillac into the compact segment, the largest-volume slice of the luxury market.

One option: Build it on GM's Delta platform, the front-wheel-drive compact architecture on which the Chevy Cruze and Volt and the Buick Verano ride.

"We were going to do a front-wheel-drive Cadillac compact off of Delta because it was going to be less expensive," Doug Parks, GM's vice president of global product programs, told me at the Detroit auto show in January. "There were people in the organization saying, 'It'll be OK. We can dial it in.'"

So serious were the plans that Parks, who was based in Europe at the time, found himself driving 150 mph on a test track in Spain in a 2.0-liter turbo test mule built on the Delta platform.

http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130401/OEM03/304019959/gms-alpha-plan-to-beat-the-alpha-dogs-of-luxury#axzz2PMW0DKq4

Scary stuff. Even the deservingly maligned Catera was still a rear-drive sport sedan with excellent handling. A front-drive ATS would have been the return of Cimarron.

CTSCHICK
04-02-13, 10:17 PM
Wow so we almost had an over priced Cobalt/G5?? lol
Glad GM didnt do it.
However it raised my curiosity since they already have a turbo test mule why no Cruze SS instead of wasting the R&D they could have just slapped a more aggressive front and rear on the Cruze and called it a day
Especially if it was the 2.0 turbo from 08-10 Cobalt SS.

CadillacLuke24
04-03-13, 12:07 AM
http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130401/OEM03/304019959/gms-alpha-plan-to-beat-the-alpha-dogs-of-luxury#axzz2PMW0DKq4

Scary stuff. Even the deservingly maligned Catera was still a rear-drive sport sedan with excellent handling. A front-drive ATS would have been the return of Cimarron.

For sure. I am so glad they didn't do that. For $#%*'s sake, Cadillacs should offer something Chevrolets don't. LLike RWD. Or V8s.

gdwriter
04-03-13, 03:58 PM
A Cimarron for the 21st century :shudder: Whose brilliant idea was this? Roger Smith's ghost?

Stingroo
04-03-13, 04:19 PM
Article date.

Not sure if srs. :suspect:

cadillac kevin
04-03-13, 04:20 PM
A Cimarron for the 21st century :shudder: Whose brilliant idea was this? Roger Smith's ghost?

If cadillac had done that, they might as well have dug their own grave.

77CDV
04-03-13, 04:58 PM
This is no surprise. I love the justification: "We can dial it in". Classic GM right there.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 10:14 AM
Bottom line: they got it right. Quit the bashing...

truckinman
04-04-13, 11:11 AM
Bottom line: they got it right. Quit the bashing...

Agreed. A lot of people have ALMOST done a lotta things. I'm sure that's not the only thing gm has almost done but decided better of it.

cadillac kevin
04-04-13, 11:46 AM
Agreed. A lot of people have ALMOST done a lotta things. I'm sure that's not the only thing gm has almost done but decided better of it.

Yeah....they almost made the cimarron a competent, unique, gorgeous car.....then they put caddy badging on a cavalier and called it good.

truckinman
04-04-13, 01:37 PM
Yeah....they almost made the cimarron a competent, unique, gorgeous car.....then they put caddy badging on a cavalier and called it good.

Hey I never said the almost did something then did the worst of it. Lol

Stingroo
04-04-13, 03:39 PM
You fools....

Jesda
04-04-13, 07:19 PM
Article date.

Not sure if srs. :suspect:

It's Autonews. They charge for industry data and take themselves very seriously. Almost too seriously.