: Tire/ tpms question.

Mongopush
04-02-13, 08:06 PM
Hello'

Just got my Certified used V a few weeks ago and the dealer put on a new set of tires. They installed a square setup of 255/40 R19's, Pirelli Sottozeros . Tires ride great,but every once in a while when I bury the pedal the TPMS service warning light comes on. After a little driving and restarts it goes away. Could this be due the the smaller tire width on the wider back rims,tire slipping on the rim or a faulty sensor ? Whats strange is its only when I completely mash it and unleash the beast when it seems to happen, any suggestions? Could the sensors simply be saying I'm scared,please stop?

Trapspeed
04-02-13, 09:22 PM
Do I understand they put 255's in the rear?? You don't have the wrong wheels on the back, do you? All four fronts????

neuronbob
04-02-13, 09:46 PM
He has Sottozeros. They are winter tires. 255s are OK in the back in that circumstance as this improves snow traction. I have 255-width winter tires right now on the rear wheels of my wagon, for winter. As it happens, I had stock-sized Sottozeros on my V sedan for four winters and frankly, narrower tires in the back work better in comparison.

However, he'll have to put on some summer tires with the correct rear width soon as the weather is starting to warm up.

Why the dealer installed brand new winter tires on this car at the end of winter mystifies me. They could have just put on some summer tires and left it up to the consumer to purchase winter tires. That would work out better IMHO.

OP, sounds like an intermittently faulty TPMS sensor. A trip to the dealer would be appropriate.

Trapspeed
04-02-13, 10:21 PM
He has Sottozeros. They are winter tires.

What are winter tires? :) I didn't even realize the skinnier tire would properly seat on the rear wheel. Interesting.

Mongopush
04-02-13, 11:12 PM
Thanks for the input,am curious if they can pull a fault history on which sensor,seeing as it comes and goes. Also, could I get away with just some rear summer tires for a 285 width and more grip? Would hate to buy a whole set seeing as they are brand new.I wouldn't be tracking the car, just a weekend driver.

neuronbob
04-03-13, 06:04 AM
You could get away with summer tires on the rear, but it would be ill advised.

A) I've driven Sottozeros in warm weather and they offer mushy handling. Winter tires are optimized to be soft in cold temps, and in warm temps are even softer. this affects braking distance, which will be longer, the resulting softer sidewall makes the ride mushier, and the tires wear prematurely when driven extensively in warm/hit weather. You didn't buy a V to compromise on handling, even more so if it's a weekend driver.

B) mixing tires in the manner you suggest adversely affects handling by itself and can be unsafe.

Don't cheap out, buy at least some all seasons if you want to save some money. There are good summer tires available for less than the cost of a new set of OEM PS2s. The dealer thought they were doing you a favor by putting on winter tires in the winter (Sottozeros are expensive!), I assure you they did not as they neutered the car for warm weather and left you having to buy a proper set of tires.

As for the monitors, the dealer should be able to figure out which one is the problem. This is an issue that has been previously reported in this site.

baabootoo
04-03-13, 02:27 PM
Tire Rack shows 8.5" to 10.0" for that width tire, so no need to worry.

elphil
04-03-13, 03:21 PM
As stated above you will need to go to all-season or summer tires soon. If your TPMS is acting up you can try recalibrating them.

1. Turn the ignition to run, don't start.

2. On the remote hold the lock and unlock buttons down together for 5 seconds. The horn will beep and the readout on the dash will be "TPMS Program Open".

3. In sequence LF, RF, RR, LR let air out for 10 seconds and stop. Wait up to 30 seconds for the horn to beep. Move to the next tire.

4. When you finish the last tire, the LR, you will get two beeps from the horn indicating the procedure is complete. Turn off ignition and add air if needed.

Just did this last week changing my Sottozeros back to PS2s.

thebigjimsho
04-03-13, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the input,am curious if they can pull a fault history on which sensor,seeing as it comes and goes. Also, could I get away with just some rear summer tires for a 285 width and more grip? Would hate to buy a whole set seeing as they are brand new.I wouldn't be tracking the car, just a weekend driver.

If you don't get those snow tires off of your V as the weather warms up, watch them get shredded FAST! The compound is not meant for warm weather.

----------

What are winter tires? :) I didn't even realize the skinnier tire would properly seat on the rear wheel. Interesting.

I have 255/40 18 Blizzaks on my 9.5" TSW Nurburgrings. They seat fine...

Mongopush
04-03-13, 06:13 PM
OK,thanks .I live in TN so pretty mild temps already and will never really need winter tires.Only snows here maybe twice a year, and usually above 20 F most times.. Also got the car in Alabama which trends warmer ,not sure why they put them on either,maybe had a surplus of them. I will try the calibration, thanks for all the input.

elphil
04-03-13, 08:26 PM
OK,thanks .I live in TN so pretty mild temps already and will never really need winter tires.Only snows here maybe twice a year, and usually above 20 F most times.. Also got the car in Alabama which trends warmer ,not sure why they put them on either,maybe had a surplus of them. I will try the calibration, thanks for all the input.

The main thing about "summer" tires is their reaction to colder temperatures. The soft compound begins to harden up from about 45 degrees and colder and become squarely and dangerous even on bone dry pavement.