: Everything Old is New Again.

dkozloski
04-02-13, 08:29 PM
I saw an interesting report the other day. Automotive engineers have rediscovered the fact that narrower tires have less rolling resistance than wide tires and also are less prone to hyroplane in the rain. In order to meet the requirements for the new fuel milage mandates cars will soon have tires in the same size and width range as Model T Fords, 30X3 and 30x3 1/2. Carried farther you'll soon be seeing cars with buggy wheels.

MrHolland
04-02-13, 09:31 PM
Wooohooo,,,old school spoke rims!!!!!

----With wooden spinners to follow....

dkozloski
04-02-13, 09:47 PM
I have long thought that wire spoked wheels were the ultimate in classic looks.

MrHolland
04-02-13, 09:49 PM
I'd argue if I could.

dkozloski
04-02-13, 09:55 PM
For Model T owners, balloon tires from the secondary market were a great leap forward along with Rajo overhead valve conversions, Ruckstell rear ends, and hydraulic brakes.

Ranger
04-02-13, 09:59 PM
I refuse to put ugly skinny tires on my cars. They may have less rolling resistance, but they must also sacrifice traction. No thank you.

EChas3
04-02-13, 10:51 PM
There's a geometry problem in there somewhere. How much bigger wheel is required to get the same contact patch if the tread is half as wide?

The-Dullahan
04-02-13, 11:20 PM
Everyone should have wire spoke wheels.

Hoosier Daddy
04-03-13, 12:42 AM
They may have less rolling resistance, but they must also sacrifice traction. No thank you.

There's a geometry problem in there somewhere. How much bigger wheel is required to get the same contact patch if the tread is half as wide?

Common misconception.

First, imagine if your tires had no stiffness. The contact patch areas would be exactly the weight of the car divided by the number of tires divided by the PSI of the tires. It wouldn't matter if the tire was 1 inch wide or 20 inches wide, the contact patch would be the same. It would just change from a long narrow shape to a wide narrow shape. The point being it would be possile to keep a similar contact patch area if tires were made narrower.

The downside of narrower tires from a mileage and life span would be that the longer the patch is, the greater the angle where the tread hits the pavement. It takes more energy to bend the tread with a narrower tread. And that energy becomes heat which can shorten the life. Running underinflated would be a worse problem for narrower tires. But the taller the tires are, the less bending is required and the less heat produce.

Of course tire sidewalls do have stiffness so there would be some loss of contact patch area unless tire pressures were lowered compared to a wider tire. And lower presure hurts mileage because it lengthens the contact patch which increase the angle where the tread meets the road which requires more HP being expended to maintain a set speed.

I'd be surprised if the tread widths could be made much narrower without the negative side effects cancelling the benefits. Should be interesting to watch.

Aron9000
04-03-13, 01:34 AM
One advantage narrow, skinny tires have is in the snow. The little narrow 14" tires on my truck work great in the snow because they put more of the weight on a central point, thus the tire sinks through the snow to the pavement, thus it finds traction. Something like a 315/35/R19 on the back of a Corvette or similar vehicle just acts like a snow shoe, ie it just rides on top of the snow.

dkozloski
04-03-13, 03:32 AM
To the manufacturer trying to stretch mileage to the max a little loss of traction and side bite is no big deal. Nobody but a fool is out there at the limit of adhesion on the public roads anyhow. Ask Urbanski.

Submariner409
04-03-13, 10:16 AM
Memories - back in the days of bias-ply tires the hottest "upgrade" was to go to the new Firestone Wide Oval tires with their pencil-thin red stripe sidewall. My Chevelle 327 SS had 7.75.14 Wide Ovals on the steel Buick 5-spoke wheels and was exactly like a surfboard in anything other than a sprinkle.

Wide tires - 30 psi = large contact patch
Narrower tires - 36 psi = smaller contact patch ...... BUT now you get into perceived "ride quality". Some of our members, addicted to the Cadillac "marshmallow ride", would NOT be happy with narrow tires.

Perhaps there will be "breakthroughs" with the new airless tires.

dkozloski
04-03-13, 01:19 PM
Airless tires work okay until you get some of those holes full of mud or ice. Wide ovals wore out so quick you could feel the car settle as you drove down the road.

RippyPartsDept
04-03-13, 02:15 PM
http://ilovedust.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/hummer-h3-wooden-wheels1.jpg

are you telling me that this thing gets 30mpg?

BlueAngel#07
04-03-13, 02:19 PM
are you telling me that this thing gets 30mpg?

what the...is that real????? Aahh hell no. YO! It ain't that serious

RippyPartsDept
04-03-13, 02:35 PM
it's definitely real, and it definitely rides like crap

probably done by someone just for fun
(obviously in europe)

thebigjimsho
04-03-13, 04:08 PM
How many millions of times has that pic been hotlinked?

RippyPartsDept
04-03-13, 04:52 PM
five?

CadillacLuke24
04-03-13, 05:50 PM
No, six and a half.

I wonder how bad the owner's hemmhorroids are.

Ranger
04-03-13, 10:40 PM
That thing is hideous!

MrHolland
04-03-13, 11:28 PM
^^^Agreed!!!

Submariner409
04-04-13, 09:01 AM
Howja like to drive that thing down a cobblestone street in France ?

When I was stationed in Naples I drove my '65 Chevelle down just over a mile of the original 2,000 year old Roman Appian Way - that was a lumpy experience - can't imagine what it must have been like in wood wheel chariots and wagons.

dkozloski
04-04-13, 10:42 AM
As a kid I remember riding on brick streets interlaced with trolley tracks in Chicago when transferring from one train station to another. That was enough to loosen your fillings.

Ranger
04-04-13, 12:22 PM
:yeah: I remember them well.

RippyPartsDept
04-04-13, 01:25 PM
thinking back to my childhood stomping grounds would bring this behemoth back to where it belongs ... offroad in the woods on trails

i can only imagine what it would be like with those monstrous wheels!

Koooop
04-04-13, 06:08 PM
Here come the 155/90/26's