: Cup holder cover plate?

mechevar
04-02-13, 07:47 PM
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to emulate the cup holder cover plate that is in the BMW 3 series in the ATS.

In the picture the cover plate is shown in front of the shifter (there is a shelf in the 3 series glove box to hold the tray when not in use). I rarely use the cup holder and having the ability to have a non-slip tray would actually be very useful. Obviously it would be great if GM made a similar accessory, but I was wondering if there are any creative DIYers with ideas.

Bertha D Blues
04-03-13, 09:03 AM
When new, my cupholder wasn't installed in completely. The left front corner was elevated slightly. I pushed it down until I heard it snap. If it snaps in it can snap out. You may be able to make your own tray to replace it rather than covering it. I wouldn't because I won't give up the java I take on my morning commute. Bert

stevenzoz
04-04-13, 08:34 PM
I had the sliding tray over my cupholders in my Regal... one thing ive missed going into the ATS.. Plus its beneficial because I used to keep all my receipts and small trash in there and you couldn't tell

rustybear3
08-17-13, 07:04 PM
I agree...a simple cover shouldn't be that hard of a market or after market accessory? Hello Cadillac?

donavo
08-17-13, 07:16 PM
i already made one. im going to make a diy for this soon enough. its pretty awesome. the one i made anyway.

GJB
08-18-13, 11:28 AM
donavo, please send pics and instructions.

donavo
08-18-13, 01:30 PM
donave, please send pics and instructions.

I'm actually having a few made with my designs. You can make it at home but it won't look super good. So I'm having the shape CNC'd and wrapped in leather or even glossy black material. Leather will probably have stitching and stuff. There's also a little secret that I will eventually include in this that I already built into my own prototype. And most likely a nice Cadillac logo in the middle. I'll show you pictures as soon as I get them done. Not outsourcing anything so it won't take long. Local friend is making them for me. Should be good to go in a week or so. I never let anyone take drinks in my car so no use for the cup holders.

Hoosier Daddy
08-18-13, 01:54 PM
Nice. We don't take food or drink in our cars either, so am looking forward to seeing what you are doing.

rustybear3
08-18-13, 04:11 PM
Looking forward to the pics as well.....a much needed accessory; if it turns out good, you should market them...

donavo
08-18-13, 07:45 PM
here are pics of my prototype. this one has a grippy rubber top to hold ur phone in place. im gonna have my contact make a leather wrapped one. 137378

Stevo Supremo
08-18-13, 08:14 PM
good start^ if that material were the same gloss black as the rest I think it'd work really well

GJB
08-19-13, 07:51 AM
Does it install and remove easily? I would keep my phone and possibly sun glasses on it. I would think matching any of the pieced around it would work best, so a leather with stitching just like the shifter boot or a vinyl that matched the trim on either side would look good. People will also like the grippy and a gloss like Stevo mentioned. Not too sure I care for the logo if it even needs one maybe ATS pressed in would look ok?

donavo
08-19-13, 11:08 AM
Does it install and remove easily? I would keep my phone and possibly sun glasses on it. I would think matching any of the pieced around it would work best, so a leather with stitching just like the shifter boot or a vinyl that matched the trim on either side.wood look good. People will also like the grippy and a gloss like Stevo mentioned. Not too sure I care for the logo if it even needs one maybe ATS pressed in would look ok?

That all sounds good until I get sued by Cadillac lmao. The one I made and my design in general that I'm going with is just a drop in. Installs very easy but you got a mess with it a little to get it out since the drop is kind of deep and there are no edges to grab from since it's a perfect fit. And making a handle is in my plans but not yet cuz I just wanna make a good one for myself for now. Handle won't make it look that good too

GJB
08-19-13, 11:26 AM
Patent it and sell it to them. I don't think you would get sued they are too busy dealing with Muffin to go after you :)

donavo
08-19-13, 12:12 PM
Patent it and sell it to them. I don't think you would get sued they are too busy dealing with Muffin to go after you :)

I've considered that but this particular product has a tiny number of people that want it. ATS is the only car I've seen that has open cup holders lol. So idk how worth it this would be. Maybe someone that knows can chime in and help? Advise?

Bertha D Blues
08-21-13, 02:35 PM
I poppped my cupholder out this morning to see what's below. Just lift firmly and it's snaps release. Maybe you could find some other use for that hole. Maybe hinge the cover? Bert

donavo
08-21-13, 02:38 PM
I poppped my cupholder out this morning to see what's below. Just lift firmly and it's snaps release. Maybe you could find some other use for that hole. Maybe hinge the cover? Bert

that would make it a more permanent solution. i prefer to keep the actual cup holders as a secret storege. its pretty stealthy. i popped mine off 2. theres a sticker under it with ur exact build date.

Muffin
08-21-13, 05:13 PM
Yes I like to try one. Since cup holder pretty much useless .please include a antenna for better HD reception lol. U would get a ton of orders.

GJB
08-21-13, 10:16 PM
that would make it a more permanent solution. i prefer to keep the actual cup holders as a secret storege. its pretty stealthy. i popped mine off 2. theres a sticker under it with ur exact build date.

I went to remove mine and the console came up instead so I just snapped it back before I broke something.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

TonyT
08-22-13, 04:19 PM
Had an oem hinged cover on my 2008 CTS never used it only times it was closed was when I had the car detailed.

ATSigma
08-23-13, 02:09 AM
I've considered that but this particular product has a tiny number of people that want it. ATS is the only car I've seen that has open cup holders lol. So idk how worth it this would be. Maybe someone that knows can chime in and help? Advise?

I could go for a cover actually so add me to your sample! :)

The new Lexus IS F sport has open cupholders and they are in the worst place too. I can see my right elbow smacking into those often. Well, maybe not as bad as the BMW 3 Series' tray like pop out cup holders. Those I think are the worst I mean don't bother taking a turn past 30 or your drink will go flying. This is America and I want some real cup holders! lol

I'm kind if a cupholder freak though. Coming from a c class Mercedes with that bizarre cupholder push button revealing 2 holes hidden under the plastic pull back thing, that was cool looking but not what I would call functional. And the cup sizes were totally different!

donavo
08-23-13, 02:30 AM

The new Lexus IS F sport has open cupholders and they are in the worst place too. I can see my right elbow smacking into those often. Well, maybe not as bad as the BMW 3 Series' tray like pop out cup holders. Those I think are the worst I mean don't bother taking a turn past 30 or your drink will go flying. This is America and I want some real cup holders! lol

I'm kind if a cupholder freak though. Coming from a c class Mercedes with that bizarre cupholder push button revealing 2 holes hidden under the plastic pull back thing, that was cool looking but not what I would call functional. And the cup sizes were totally different!

Wow this is alot of people in line for the cover. I gotta get my guy to start making alot lol

ontogenesis
08-23-13, 11:04 AM

I'm with you about being a cup holder snob. My Trailblazer had cup holders right in front of the shifter and it pissed me off for years that I couldn't fit a large drink in the holder until I was out of park because it hit the shifter AND if I forgot about it when I parked, it would pop the lid off and smoosh the cup. I was really happy with my wife's SRX because there's a button in the cupholder that rotates the bottom out of the way so that a large drink would fit further down into the console and be more stable. I still have the same complaint for both the SRX and ATS's cup holders, which is that they're too close together and large drink lids tend to want to sit on top of each other so they're prone to popping off, and if she wants to grab her drink she has to move mine out of the way if I was the last to put my drink in the cup holder...if that makes sense. It's a minor gripe, but it's one of those things I feel like they should've discovered and addressed during testing/evaluation.

GJB
08-23-13, 11:32 AM
I'm with you about being a cup holder snob. My Trailblazer had cup holders right in front of the shifter and it pissed me off for years that I couldn't fit a large drink in the holder until I was out of park because it hit the shifter AND if I forgot about it when I parked, it would pop the lid off and smoosh the cup. I was really happy with my wife's SRX because there's a button in the cupholder that rotates the bottom out of the way so that a large drink would fit further down into the console and be more stable. I still have the same complaint for both the SRX and ATS's cup holders, which is that they're too close together and large drink lids tend to want to sit on top of each other so they're prone to popping off, and if she wants to grab her drink she has to move mine out of the way if I was the last to put my drink in the cup holder...if that makes sense. It's a minor gripe, but it's one of those things I feel like they should've discovered and addressed during testing/evaluation.

The truth is this is why NYC Mayor Bloomberg wanted to get rid of large soda's. It had nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with cup holders.

GJB
08-23-13, 01:08 PM
I'm with you about being a cup holder snob. My Trailblazer had cup holders right in front of the shifter and it pissed me off for years that I couldn't fit a large drink in the holder until I was out of park because it hit the shifter AND if I forgot about it when I parked, it would pop the lid off and smoosh the cup.

My Trollblazer same design except they add the useless Saab pop out cup holder in the dash. Every time I try to use either of them I wonder WTF were the engineers thinking. They must have been anti beverage....

ATSigma
08-24-13, 01:51 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Haha yikes! Those trailblazer cupholders sound even more poorly designed than my old car. I can see a Jamba Juice flying out of there and those styrofoam cups smashing to bits spilling razzmatazz all over the carpeted floor. Happened to me in my old ford explorer from back in the day. Not a pretty sight though my car did smell nice for the drive home.

The ATS cup holders are pretty close together and I bump into it when I shift into reverse and drive so if it's just me in the car I use the furthest one and it's ok. But since you and your wife use them i can see how thats an Issue. there are door drink holders for like a can of coke or something. i haven't tried putting a Starbucks in there yet but theres always the weekend for this R&D. It's minor by any means but I heard a rumor that the 2015 ATS is going to be redesigned. We shall see if that's the case and what we can expect. Maybe something similar in set up to the new CTS, hmmm.

The truth is this is why NYC Mayor Bloomberg wanted to get rid of large soda's. It had nothing to do with obesity and everything to do with cup holders.

Hahaha!!! You are 100% right on that one sir. :)

sim3a
08-24-13, 04:24 PM
Its a great idea, I would want one!! I have a Note 2 so its big enough to act like a cover but still I would want this.

donavo
08-27-13, 05:38 PM
just to give u guys an update. this is going rly well so far. if anyone wants to get one just let me know. so far they will be leather wrapped. basically any leather color/finish u can think of will probably work. idk how closesly the morello red will be matched tho. since these are costing me alot to have made, they will be a little pricey im afraid. unless u want just one plastic plate with no padding or leather. but if thats what u want, might as well just cut it out urself from cardboard. just to give u guys an example of how i will have mine made, it will b black rubber/no padding underneath, with black leather tubing around it and red stitching. probably will make a round hole in the middle and put a cadillac logo in there....as soon as i find one that looks good anyway lol.

rustybear3
08-30-13, 11:11 AM
Just an idea....instead of make a hole in the middle...just paste a cadillac logo that is "raised" in relief centerwise.....that way it can serve as a handle to lift out the cup holder....I'm sure the internet has mini cadillac emblems in 3d that you could use....be anxious to purchase one myself once your friend perfects them and has them up and running...

donavo
08-30-13, 01:03 PM
Just an idea....instead of make a hole in the middle...just paste a cadillac logo that is "raised" in relief centerwise.....that way it can serve as a handle to lift out the cup holder....I'm sure the internet has mini cadillac emblems in 3d that you could use....be anxious to purchase one myself once your friend perfects them and has them up and running...

i have some less than happy news for you guys. hes almost done making the first one (which will be all black with very similar leather to the shift boot, with black stitching). hes charging me 45 for that one since its 100% hand made and cut. he doesnt have a stamper or anything to cut the plastic with, and i tried several vendors with CNC capabilities and they wanna charge like 100+ per piece even in large orders. (i made the 3d models and everything for this cover). now the news is he would still charge a little high even after the first one cuz he still needs to hand grind the palstic every time. after i get the first one, ill take a picture of it and u guys will see if you want it. im sure itll look nice. that 3d cadillac idea is great rustybear, but i was thinking it would have been better flat so u could put ur phone in there. but nonetheless i like ur idea and will probably include it. the dude told me hed charge less in batch orders. so well see what happens. for now, im thinking of getting an idea of how many of you guys would be interested.

donavo
09-07-13, 10:32 PM
Some good news. Found Supplier that will have my model CNC cut for cheaper. Does anyone want just a one piece plain plastic plate cut to fit as a cup holder cover? That would be really cheap. Or does anyone want it with a layer of rubber on top? Or leather wrapped? Just to get an idea of what you guys are looking for

mechevar
09-08-13, 12:55 PM
If its just a plastic plate with rubber on it (keep phone from slippin around), you will have my money with a quickness!

Some good news. Found Supplier that will have my model CNC cut for cheaper. Does anyone want just a one piece plain plastic plate cut to fit as a cup holder cover? That would be really cheap. Or does anyone want it with a layer of rubber on top? Or leather wrapped? Just to get an idea of what you guys are looking for

donavo
10-25-13, 02:44 AM
so this thing is finally ready to be made guys. the best i was able to do was a piece of ABS plastic with an open cell sponge surface that has a grippy looking finish. i would have much preffered to go with a rubber top but the company i used for this has no black rubber sheets. they cut plastics, foams and other things besides rubbers. the sponge doesnt really feel like a sponge. it feels more like rubber but if you take ur nail to it really aggressively itll probably get damaged. this alone, in a bulk of 30 costs like 8 dollars each. ive tried other companies and most of them gave me a far too ridiculous of a quote. so with all that in mind i dont think most of you would be interested. however i dont want to let this idea die out. anyone know what i can do with it? my preference would be to show this to GM somehow and either sell the idea to them or work for them as a design engineer if possible (i work as that currently for aerospace).

rustybear3
10-25-13, 03:27 AM
post a picture of a prototype and see....$8 is not a lot for such a device....I guess I would only modify it by putting a raised cadillac crest logo on it somewhere to aid on lifting it and putting it back in place; do you have some sort of a knob on it to remove and install?

donavo
10-25-13, 11:22 AM
post a picture of a prototype and see....$8 is not a lot for such a device....I guess I would only modify it by putting a raised cadillac crest logo on it somewhere to aid on lifting it and putting it back in place; do you have some sort of a knob on it to remove and install?

I actually don't have one yet but the guy sent me samples of the materials and also a cut piece of plastic to check for fitment. In order to put them together and send it as one I'll need to actually order them. And yeah 8 bucks isn't so bad at all but once shipping is factored in, and a little bit of profit for me, it becomes not as worth it. Unless you guys wanna do a big group buy or something. Idk. Also what I plan to do on mine is completely different. I have a small Cadillac logo that I plan to put on there and design it in my way making it look very unique. If you guys still have some patience you can wait and see how mine turns out. I have a bunch of rubber sheets that are are perfect but I would need to hand cut them and paste them on the plastic. If you guys wanna trust my hand cutting skills, just know I will do my best. Lol. Buying the plastic alone is cheaper

bbrown450
10-26-13, 06:03 PM
I was given an XTS as a loaner in my many service trips it had a sweet cover that rolled over and made the console "level" why can't......never mind :)
I like the sticky cover but how would I get my potato chip pieces and french fry crumbs off??

donavo
10-26-13, 06:25 PM
here are some pictures of the one im making. i got the plastic piece. and i also have several sheets of the rubber i prefer to use. (its not sticky where u cant brush off the bread crumbs but its still grippy where your phone wont fly off). i hand cut the rubber with scissors, which isnt perfect but close, then i glued it on top of the plastic piece. the simple one was allright but then i bought a small cadillac logo and put it into a cutout in the middle. thats the one im gonna use now. its very nice and clean looking. will add pictures of it in the car soon.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026131745.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026131825.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026134517.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026134557.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026134609.jpg

the cutout where the logo goes is not perfect in the pictures. that wasnt the final product tho. i made one after it and its drying right now but its far better.

heres the final cutout for the logo. cleaner than the last one

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101191720/IMG20131026151423.jpg

if anyone wants to know where i got the logo, this is where i got it. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261273710783?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Groomie
10-27-13, 01:29 AM
Hi All,
I own a metal trim shop that may be able to make as we break trim in different gauges all day. We have many colors plus they can be done so leather or vinyl can be applied. I got the car too. All I need is dimensions. Look forward to hearing back

flycaster
10-27-13, 08:11 AM
I know it may be a little late to hop into this build, but I would rather prefer an "ATS" logo that the Cadillac emblem. Personally, I think the Caddy emblem is a little too ostentatious. The simpler ATS logo, IMO, would fit better with the clean, modern lines of the interior.

bbrown450
10-27-13, 09:24 AM
I agree with Fly caster props to Donavo for acting on a need tickles me to death to see someone actually doing something to fill a need. For what it is worth $8 is way to little for this your time & R&D should be factored in. Additionally sell as many as you can as quickly as you can because the "clones" will follow. Finally just something to have in the back of your mind you might spend a little of that $$ with an attorney schooled in patents and licensing anytime you use a trade marked Logo typically you should be licensed to do so and that impacts the cost of your product....nothing is easy these days .
Good luck !!

Hoosier Daddy
10-27-13, 09:32 AM
Finally just something to have in the back of your mind you might spend a little of that $$ with an attorney schooled in patents and licensing anytime you use a trade marked Logo typically you should be licensed to do so and that impacts the cost of your product....nothing is easy these days .
Good luck !!
I think he'll be okay if he buys the logos from someone who has been licensed by GM to make them.

donavo
10-27-13, 01:40 PM
You guys think I should patent it though? Is it worth patenting? It costs about 300 to get a patent pending status on it, which would expire in a year, and I think 3k to get a full patent on it. I've patented something before, this is why I know. But this item does not seem like it could be a huge hit or anything.

ALSO, i contacted groomie. well see where that goes. hopefully his shop is a one stop shop for this. metal would be fine if wrapped in leather.

JSD13
10-28-13, 12:55 AM
I had it in my G37. I never closed it once.

Groomie
10-28-13, 05:28 PM
Sorry guys after looking at my options in my shop. Fabrication and future scheduling is going to put on hold right now any help that I may be able to offer at this time. I thought I could squeeze the time in, but right now my shop is way to busy and production is already scheduling out until late Feb. 2014. What we do is my main priority. We manufacture pre-engineered blds and metal trim. If anything changes, I will let you guys know.

donavo
10-28-13, 05:38 PM
its all good groomie. ill figure it out. is there anyone that has any way of making a cookie cutter type of thing? if i can get something like that, i can cut my rubber sheets into perfect shape with that, and just glue them on the plastic pieces that i will order (should be cheap in bulk) and thats it. itll be a simple black one. if anyone wants any logos ill have to custum hand make those. im not challenged when it comes to arts and crafts lol.

GJB
10-28-13, 06:16 PM
donavo have you tried just using the rubber piece without the plastic? If its thick enough the cup holder underneath may gave it plenty of support.

donavo
10-28-13, 06:49 PM
donavo have you tried just using the rubber piece without the plastic? If its thick enough the cup holder underneath may gave it plenty of support.

the rubber sheets are actually way too flimsy. i dont know if ur familiar with a game mat (kind of like a mouse pad, but its a mat where ppl play cards on. like pokemon or something) its basically the rubber from that. its pretty high quality. a relative of mine works at the company that makes these so i have a decent ammount of them. i just peel off the fabric and whats left is the rubber. the bottom side of it has the grippy texture that you can see in my pictures. its a very nice feeling texture and rubber in general but way too soft and flimsy to act on its own without support on the bottom.

mong8se
10-31-13, 10:50 AM
This seems like a good candidate for a kickstarter, so you don't have to front the production costs yourself.

Here is another automotive related kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/twmperformance/twm-performance-ultimate-designer-titanium-racing?ref=live

MSG C5
10-31-13, 05:25 PM
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to emulate the cup holder cover plate that is in the BMW 3 series in the ATS.

In the picture the cover plate is shown in front of the shifter (there is a shelf in the 3 series glove box to hold the tray when not in use). I rarely use the cup holder and having the ability to have a non-slip tray would actually be very useful. Obviously it would be great if GM made a similar accessory, but I was wondering if there are any creative DIYers with ideas.

Some nice and creative ideas offered in this thread, however I hope GM/Cadillac simply fix the problem for 2015. I really like the interior design of the ATS, however not everyone wants to look at, or use, empty cupholders. A simple accordion-like design or a flip top would work.

mechevar
11-01-13, 02:47 PM
Saw the prototype pics, looks really smooth (the emblem is ok...maybe embossed would look a little more subtle). Definitely still interested!

donavo
02-06-14, 01:09 AM
a few updates on this. i ordered some of the plastic pieces to use as the base. i have plenty of the rubber sheets that ill cut to size and glue on top of the plastic. that would b the most basic style.

now here is what i did on the one in MY car:

i have a smart phone with inductive charging capabilities. i got an inductive charger, fastened it on the bottom of my cup holder cover. ran the power thru the inside if the cup holders )its a 2 piece cup holder and the rubbery part can bend enough for a wire to pass thru). ran the power straight to a v12 power from the car from the 12v plug on the back of the center console. very seemingless installation with no wires anywhere. now whenever i drop my phone on the cup holder cover, it charges it. with no wires.

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/6270/pty7.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img809/539/0bny.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img163/9577/ygd6.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img854/5682/gfrt.jpg
as soon as i complete some of the plain ones, ill send one to one of you guys for free, with the catch that as soon as you get it, you need to write a review of it here so people get an unbiased opinion on the covers.

Stevo Supremo
02-06-14, 01:31 AM
Dude!! that looks AWESOME!!!!^ and that inductive charger attached!? brilliant! really wouldn't think such a little thing would make such a big difference but I'm really impressed man, bravo :thumbsup:

donavo
02-06-14, 01:37 AM
Dude!! that looks AWESOME!!!!^ and that inductive charger attached!? brilliant! really wouldn't think such a little thing would make such a big difference but I'm really impressed man, bravo :thumbsup:

ty ty:bouncy:
yup its attached to the bottom, fits right into the cup holders just fine and charges quite well. running the wire thru the center console to the back 12V charge port and modifying a cigarette plug so the door can completely close was the challenge lol

CTSCHICK
02-06-14, 01:44 AM
Makes me wonder if the 15 ATS sedan will have inductive charging like the 15 Coupe

rustybear3
02-06-14, 07:30 AM
Would love to try out or buy one of your plates....question: perhaps raise the emblem a little more so one can easily lift the cover on and off by grabbing the emblem rather than lifting under the edge as I assume you have to do.....?

MSG C5
02-06-14, 09:59 AM
Some great ideas on this thread on how to improve IMO the one interior design flaw of the ATS. Exposed cup holders to me look like something you find in an entry model Kia. In fact every car that I've been in with exposed cup holders, with the exception of the ATS, were entry level models. I understand that some owners would never use a lid, however there are also some owners like me who would keep the lid closed 90% of the time. An accordian-like cover IMO would be the best of both worlds, similar to the one in the BMW 3-series.

My mother-in-law's Kia Soul has them and over time dust, dirt, coffee drops, etc. make them look really bad. I don't know why Cadillac can't simply offer an accordian-like roll top that can be used to cover them if you choose not to use them. Unfortunately, I think they are here to stay in the ATS sedan as the 2015 ATS coupe also appeared to have exposed cup holders. The CTS center console, IMO looks a lot better.

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/Allen2112/Other%20Cars/CadillacCTSInterior1_zpsd2351a3b.jpg (http://s499.photobucket.com/user/Allen2112/media/Other%20Cars/CadillacCTSInterior1_zpsd2351a3b.jpg.html)

donavo
02-06-14, 10:53 AM
Would love to try out or buy one of your plates....question: perhaps raise the emblem a little more so one can easily lift the cover on and off by grabbing the emblem rather than lifting under the edge as I assume you have to do.....?

The only reason I don't have a raised Cadillac symbol or a handle is because if I put it there it won't look as clean and there won't be any more room to put your phone. Also I don't have a raised Cadillac symbol or else I would definitely try something lol. But I'll still look into that option. The way I remove it now is pressing down with your finger on the very back of the cover. The sharp end towards the end of the car. That causes it to slide forward and lift off.

D23MER
02-10-14, 12:09 AM
The cover looks great! Would love to try one out and would happily give a review afterwords. Details on how to possibly acquire one? Thanks!

Ragtop 99
02-10-14, 05:43 PM
That looks real good. Does that in enough to leave a 1/2" lip or so so that the phone won't fly off on a high g turn or panic stop?

Looking at the cupholder contents, is that drag race souvenir from a defeated victim? ;)

donavo
02-10-14, 05:54 PM
That looks real good. Does that in enough to leave a 1/2" lip or so so that the phone won't fly off on a high g turn or panic stop?

Looking at the cupholder contents, is that drag race souvenir from a defeated victim? ;)

the cover is only about 3/32" thick so theres plenty of "wall" around the phone cradle area so nothing will fly off haha

and no, thats the badge off of my first car that i totaled in a street race and learned my lesson to not be stupid again hahaha. it always stays in my current car.

jeffroeson
02-10-14, 08:29 PM
Keep up the good work trying to make an "elegant cover". I've seen nothing that makes me want to hide something that wasn't meant to be covered (regardless of peoples dislike). I place a chrome 16 oz. Cadillac coffee mug in the back holder (which I don't use) and leave the front one open. Just like a half faux cover. Front opening always ready for a cup.

I would not want to lift off a cover and move it just to use the space. Covers work for some, not an area I care to dwell on. Show me something close to perfect.

donavo
02-11-14, 11:25 PM
k guys the plastic plates are here. i ordered a bunch of them. is anyone local that wants to try one out?

basically the anatomy of this thing will b as simple as possible. just a plastic black plate out of ABS with grain on one side and smooth on the other, and a rubber sheet glued to one of the sides. i have large sheets of this rubber, and i gotta cut them to shape by hand. although id like to think im getting good at that, its still obviously not cut by machine or a cookie cutter which i wish i had instead lol. so if anyone wants to cut it themselves because they are better at cutting, i dont mind giving a plastic plate, and a small sheet of the rubber just enough to cut out the shape of the plate from. (special requests like rustybear and the handle to grab from can be made. just tell me how u want it and ill do my best to design a good looking cover. if i cant, or dont have the material, ill let you know and hopefully ull come up with a good idea that u like that is possible to manufacture by me lol)

i really like the rubber "feel" of these sheets since they are not sticky to the touch but do offer plenty of grip in a side to side direction. obviously its far from perfection but at least its something. although i ordered alot of plates, i intend to experiment with them and make different styles. but there are alot of plates so im sure i can supply the hand full of ppl on here that want a cover plate.

im not sure what to price them at since due to the simplicity of it, its not gonna b worth much. but i did put money and time into this so selling them at a "fair price" just isnt convenient. i would rather have 10 different covers than make and sell 10 covers at 5 bucks each or something.....lol.

anyway, if anyone wants to try one and lives locally and is willing to write an unbiased review for others to see, just contact me.
anyone else that wants to buy one just send me an email. avogev@gmail.com
(id rather u guys let me know what u think i should charge. im sure its worth no more than 5 dollars but im not about to make a trip to the post office, and package these things just to make 5 bucks lol)

donavo
08-07-14, 12:25 AM
got some more covers if anyone wants one. see the for sale thread here:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/491385-official-ats-parts-wanted-parts-sale.html

donavo
12-20-14, 08:50 PM
update with a new development. more in the for sale thread.

http://i.imgur.com/ppXkUKI.jpg