: Factory locking lug nuts - no key

JazMiller
04-02-13, 03:54 PM
I have factory locking lugs on 4 wheels. And now that I've got the rear up in the air, exhaust off from midpipes back, and the diff fluid drained out of the pumpkin, I can't find my damned lug key.

Of course, I had this issue 2 weeks ago, but then it was the tire shop forgetting to give me my key back after putting winter rubber on in November. They found my key, and I used it to pull the fronts and I changed out some front end swaybar bushings and such. Guess I forgot to pull the key off the wheel when I re-installed, or I've just been an idiot and lost it in my garage.

I have a set of (what I think) are metric stud removers but the biggest doesn't seem big enough to go over the locking lug, cant imagine I'll be able to hammer it on.

Anyone else have suggestions or a link to a kit that has worked for factory locking lugs that I can pick up online? I hate to think i'm gonna have to fill the diff and put my exhaust back on to drive this pig to a tire shop to have them toss a tool at it.

Thx for suggestions...

RyRidesMotoX
04-02-13, 04:01 PM
Take a picture of the lug... I might have the right key in a bag in the back of my car... Never been opened, probably factory original. If it fits you can have it for free just pay the shipping.

JDB
04-02-13, 04:05 PM
Have a welder? Weld a nut on.

What are you doing next that requires taking the wheels off?

JazMiller
04-02-13, 04:25 PM
No welder. Might knock on the door of the welder/mechanic across my back lane though to see if he's up for that challenge, though he might be away on a welding job for a week or two.

After the wheels are off, it's axle upgrade and pass/driver axle seals. I don't need to do the axle change, haven't blown anything up and it's all operational still. And it's only a small leak on the pass axle seal so I could fill the diff and seal that up and put er back on the road for a couple months. That would give me enough time to re-order fluid and compare this amsoil 75x90 to the stock fluid I just dumped.

JDB
04-02-13, 04:49 PM
Take a picture of the lug... I might have the right key in a bag in the back of my car... Never been opened, probably factory original. If it fits you can have it for free just pay the shipping.

I doubt all factory locks have the same key... at least, I hope not.

D3l7a3ch0
04-02-13, 05:03 PM
:-D

I don't use locking lugs, I don't trust the consistency of their torque compared to regular lugs?

plus, if anything happens to the car I'll just claim it on insurance.

woe be to they who steal V1 wheels--good luck finding another car to put them on.

mstrjon32
04-02-13, 05:10 PM
Take an old socket and hammer it on over the lug nut. It's what the car thieves do.

barrok69
04-02-13, 05:40 PM
Take an old socket and hammer it on over the lug nut. It's what the car thieves do.

Yep. That is exactly what the tire shop did with my locked lugs. I bought the car used and the guy never gave me the wheel lock keys. The tire shop took an impact socket, hammered it on and zipped them off. Nobody will want to steal our six lug wheels anyways :)

D3l7a3ch0
04-02-13, 05:45 PM
basic lugs look better, too

mstrjon32
04-02-13, 06:01 PM
Nobody will want to steal our six lug wheels anyways :)

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/69330674/stolen_wheels.jpg

That's my car from about two years ago when some thieves in Wheaton, MD (A hell hole, BTW) ripped off my accessory wheels. The car was in a gated garage. Not that it makes much of a difference if they really want them anyway, but now I run the Gorilla "System" locks, which provide a lock for every lug, and IMO, look a lot better than even basic lugs.

OneFast V
04-02-13, 06:27 PM
you can take a 12 point socket... i believe 21mm or so hammer it on really good and then it should bit well enough to pull off the wheel lock

JazMiller
04-02-13, 06:32 PM
I'm looking for a couple 12 point sockets, none of the 6 points that I've lined up would likely work. That, or a bigger nut/stud removal kit. Stopping in at a tool shop later to see what I can get my hands on.

If anyone's used a socket on a factory locking lug as a workaround, what size did ya use you thief? ;-)

OneFast V
04-02-13, 07:00 PM
I'm looking for a couple 12 point sockets, none of the 6 points that I've lined up would likely work. That, or a bigger nut/stud removal kit. Stopping in at a tool shop later to see what I can get my hands on.

If anyone's used a socket on a factory locking lug as a workaround, what size did ya use you thief? ;-)

I've had to do it on my own car when the tire shop lost my wheel key. I jut don't recall the size I used. I will verify later tonight if you have not figured one our yet.

RyRidesMotoX
04-02-13, 07:13 PM
I doubt all factory locks have the same key... at least, I hope not.

I think you are giving GM too much credit. But I though the same thing which is why I asked for a picture.

The offer still stands to the OP. If you want them just pay for shipping... Though I'm not sure how much it would be to ship to Canada.

JazMiller
04-02-13, 07:50 PM
I think you are giving GM too much credit. But I though the same thing which is why I asked for a picture.

The offer still stands to the OP. If you want them just pay for shipping... Though I'm not sure how much it would be to ship to Canada.

Thanks for that offer - and I may be in touch with deets of my lock pattern and shipping. There's a pretty good chance that I'm going to be able to find a way around this little roadblock before it comes to that!

JDB
04-02-13, 10:04 PM
I just wish a cap would fit over the lock. Mine have a rust color to them which stands out.

tommy compton
04-02-13, 10:24 PM
I've hammered a socket on them to remove them. 3/4" 12 point, princess auto sells them, they also sell a locking lug nut remover set there, specifically for removing locking lug nuts. Never tried it, but next time I run into the problem I plan on picking up the set. I think it was only like 15.00 or so.

JazMiller
04-03-13, 12:18 AM
I've hammered a socket on them to remove them. 3/4" 12 point, princess auto sells them, they also sell a locking lug nut remover set there, specifically for removing locking lug nuts. Never tried it, but next time I run into the problem I plan on picking up the set. I think it was only like 15.00 or so.

PA is my next stop to see if they have 12 points. The 6 point impact 3/4 socket I picked up tonight isn't going over the lug - it's either too small or I'm too chicken to pound enough on it to make it go, lol. :suspense:

tommy compton
04-03-13, 12:22 AM
12 point is the ticket, PA is where I get all my 12 point from, they are one of the few places that carry them here.

D3l7a3ch0
04-03-13, 01:47 AM
mstrjon32 I remember that post, and I thought of you when I said what I did about thieves and V1 wheels... still what are they going to do (did you track down that seller you suspected of having your wheels)

CTSV_Rob
04-03-13, 11:34 PM
Stick with the socket. I tried the ones for removing lugs but the OD was too big and didn't fit in the hole.

I had the tops of one of my locks snap right off and a 12 point fit perfectly and broke it loose. Cheap cast crap the factory uses is really junk and the holes weren't deep enough when I switched to the CCWs. <-- that one was my fault.

Bacon V
04-04-13, 12:01 AM
I had to pound a socket over a lock nut on my Tahoe after it broke not one, but two keys. FYI do NOT weld to a lock nut. The nuts are hardened steel and welding makes them brittle. You'll shatter the nut and end up drilling the stud out. Ask me how i know this...

JazMiller
04-04-13, 11:30 PM
Resolved! :thumbsup:

All I could track down here in my area of Canuckistan in 12 point 1/2 inch drive sockets was a deep 3/4 socket (the last on the shelf) and a 19mm shallow socket.

I managed to pound the hell out of them with a deadblow hammer and got the damned rear locking lugs off - so if you're in a similar situation, you CAN use a 19mm or (better) a 3/4" socket. Don't try a 3/4" drive, as the wall of the socket won't fit inside the lug chamber. Get a 12 point 1/2" drive of either the above.

Now I'm back on track with my axles and diff axle seals project.

Snowfall forecast for Friday here. Can't wait for summer to arrive to go for a nice drive!

-- Thanks to all you guys for chipping in on the thread. Nice to have your input and support!

odla
04-05-13, 12:10 AM
Good to hear.

mstrjon32
04-05-13, 12:59 AM
I just wish a cap would fit over the lock. Mine have a rust color to them which stands out.

I have the Gorilla "The System" locks now. They've been on there for about 2 years and don't look rusty, and they have a nice uniform look with the keying of the lock is around the edges, not on the lock face. The set of 24 locks was around $40, IIRC. I recommend them highly.

D3l7a3ch0
04-05-13, 01:05 AM
\o/ !