: Questions about rear drum brakes....

Night Wolf
01-08-05, 03:33 PM
the rear brakes on the Olds are grinding now... I replaced the front pads/rotrs last year, so they are good...

I was going to take it to Midas, but for shoes and drums they wanted $300! without drums it was $115... I am pretty sure I'll need new drums, if they are grinding they much be bad....

tomorrow it'll be partly sunny and 30's... my driveway is still all ice (never cleared it after the snow) but that should be ok... so I am thinking about doing it myself.....

Now I still need to go to Sears and get 2 new rear tires, but they'll probably charge a similar fee...

So my question is... how hard is it to change shoes/drums? I have no problem at all with pads/rotors... I am thinking after work tonight I'll swing by Advance and get the stuff I need... all I need are shoes/drums... and some brake lubricant? it should only take an hour or so... right? I can bang it out tomorrow... maybe even have time to go to Sears and get my new tires....

the car is a 1989 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight 3800 V6 FWD.... parts for this car are cheap too.....

Night Wolf
01-08-05, 03:39 PM
I suppose I can also look in the service manual for how to do it.....ugh... why do I always forgot I bought that thing :)

DaveSmed
01-08-05, 08:37 PM
It's not bad at all. Make sure you adjust it properly, and make sure you only take one side apart at a time (so when you askyourself, where the heck did this come from, you can go tot he other side and look) Thats crazy that it costs that much to turn drums! Glad I do my own. :)

Stoneage_Caddy
01-08-05, 08:47 PM
do yourself a favore and get a spring kit while in to get the shoes and drums , there only about 5 bucks but on a car like that in a area like that im willing to bet youll snap a spring ....might even spring for a "brake spring plier"...makes life alot easier than trying to do this with a flat blade screwdriver

DaveSmed
01-08-05, 08:58 PM
Shh about the pliers! its a rite of passage. Need a economy box of bandaids, needle nose pliers, screwdriver, and a sutable "car fixing vocabulary" :D

http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/brake/LIS-11260-LG.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
01-08-05, 09:18 PM
ROFL !!!!!

Dude , nothing you have said is untrue here ......man whata miseable job that was without those things ...i musta done over 20 axels before my boss finnaly told me about them ...after i had i grooved the needle nose pliers up to grab the springs ....it was working very well too ....

davesdeville
01-08-05, 10:41 PM
do yourself a favore and get a spring kit while in to get the shoes and drums , there only about 5 bucks but on a car like that in a area like that im willing to bet youll snap a spring ....might even spring for a "brake spring plier"...makes life alot easier than trying to do this with a flat blade screwdriver

Yeah I'd imagine it sucks less with those... drum brakes are a pain in the ass.

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 12:42 AM
lol... my thread about brakes got moves from the brakes section... to the lounge?!?.... because it is on the Oldsmobile?.... not like it isn't the same car as the DeVille LOL....

Anyway, yeah the prices were high...

I went to Advance...the Bendix drums were $60 each and shoes were $60 each... so I got Wearever... they are remans... drums were $30 each and the shoes were $12 each... then after my "preffered customer" discount of 10%... it came to $76

I asked them about the spring tool, they said they never had to use it, and to just use needle nose plyers... which I got complimentary :)

I also got a new can of PB Blaster...

I am doing it tomrrow... in my iced-over driveway... only thing that sucks, is I can't make a quick run to the hardware store or Advance being that not only do I not drive the DeVilles in this weather, they are in the middle of an ice-field of my driveway... covered in ice....

I didn't get a spring kit either...

the parking brake is also really loose.... is this something i can eaisly fix while doing the rear brakes, or should I not even mess with it?

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 04:36 PM
Well, I changed them, all is back together good :)

I know what was grinding :)

on the right drum, the brake material was completly ripped off of the shoe... it was metal on metal and the pices just shuffleing aroun d:)

the left side was nroaml, but i noticed the material was seperate form the shoe, I lightly pulle dit apart and it ripped right off....

there seemed to be alot of material left, but i replaced everything... some of those springs nad stuff are a miracle they have broke from rust... so they are staying for now :)

anyway, all went well.... excpet ont he first wheel, when I tired to put the drum on, it woudln't fit.. I was stumped, so I called Advance, the guy said the obvious... make sure the self-adjuster thing was closed.. I never did anything with that... so using a screw driver I was able to turn it over and over until it fully retracted, then the drum slid on nicely... on the left wheel, I did that when everything was apart...

The thing is... the guy mentioned something about once the drum is on, the release it via a rubber thing on the back of the hub area (frogot what he was saying) but there was no removeable rubber part...

so I took her out for a spin the pedal seems... not mushy, but it travels more then it should... and when I go fast in reverse and hit the brakes, the front tires will lock and drag... which leads me to believe the rear brakes are not adjusted correctly... they are not applying enough force as they should... does it have to do with that return thingy? (the screw was start shaped)

I am not really in the mood to jack the car up again and go thru everything.... so when I get the new tires on the car, maybe I can ask them to just adjust the rear drum breaks? once the wheel is off, the drum slides right off, it shoudln't be that hard for them to do... how much would they charge for it though?

I was also able to hit out the dents on the quarter panel... all my bondo work just fell out... oh well... the car is going to the vo-tec for the body work and painted anyway...

I'll post a few pics....

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 08:45 PM
well, when I went to Advance to get my core back, I talked ot the guy, and now I understand what is going on...

.....it seems like arather simple job... BUT, I am not in the mood to jack the back of the car up, support it (again)... all in my driveway which is ice and then pull the backing plate on the drum and turn the star-shaped adjuster....

So, when I go Wednesday for the new tires, I'll ask them nicely if they can just adjust the rear brakes while on the lift... I dunno... if they charge even $20 total, it may just be worth my trouble... afterall I did do the whole job myself and Midas wanted $300 to do it...

Like i mentioned... both of the material on the shoes of the right wheel were just broken off and within the drum, the left wheel was ok, but I easily pulled the material off the shoe.. the old ones were bonded, the new ones are rivited... there seemed to be alot of life on the old ones.. if they stayed together though... they aren't OEM right? (blue) the olds drums came off easy too.. PB Blaster and hit with a hammer between the studs...

overall, like all my projects I do... the first time is a learning experience... the right tire took a long time, then I had to jack the left side up and remove the tire to see how the springs went on and how everything works etc... but the left wheel was very easy to do :) and like every other project.. while doing it, I swear I'll never do it again, but looking back... I have no problem with it and don't mind doing it on the DeVilles when the time comes... and... it'll be in nice summer warm days, nice music playing, cold lemonade with me... not sitting on old pizza boxes (that I used for oil changes and other work) in the dead of winter, on an iced-over driveway in nylon pants a t-shrt and a light duty coat :)

geezee between all the work I am doing on the Olds, I am becomg quite the mechanic... each time something comes up, I tell myself "ahh, I'll never be able to do it" then I find out how much it would cost to bring it somewhere, and I give myself plenty of time... and do it :)

Anyway, here are a few pics....

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 09:09 PM
it should adjust on its own ...but with all the ice it may not ....everytime you back up and apply the brakes they will adjust out a little ..may take awhile since you didnt turn the adjuster back out after the drum was put back on ....

the rubber grommet he mentioned is like a little cover ....it may not be there anymore after all those miles , might just be a hole ....you should be able to get a screwdriver in there and turnt he wheel out little by little .....but like you say youd have to jack it back up ...(but you dont need to remove wheels or anything)

edit : as time goes by and the less you are intimidated by vehicles youll realize your capable of anything when it comes to working on cars ....i know i feel i can do anything ....as long as i have the tools i want to do it ...

Night Wolf
01-09-05, 09:28 PM
well, there is no hole on the back, there is no rubber area either... he said it may be a metal plate that unbolts... so I just gotta see...

on the right wheel, the star thing seemed kind of missing a tooth... especially after I was moving it with the flat head screw driver... not to mention I used my small vice grips to hold that metal tab that turns the screw out while i turned it.. but when I put everything back, it looked as though it was just as normal...

I did several reverse - hit brakes and it didn't seem to do anything... but if it is only going to move 1 notch each time, that could take a long time... I'll have to see... as it is now though, I know they aren't applying enough force and it is causing the front brakes to do more then normal...

it all depends... right now I am not in the mood to do anything more then put gas in the car for the next couple of days... but I just filled it tonight, no that won't be for awhile :) then I am working everyday except Wednesday... so I'll the guys at Sears... maybe they do it for free or for a few bucks... if they are stupid about it, I'll do it myself when I get the time...

yeah.... back when I was having all the problems with the Olds, I did the water pump, then got into the crazyness of removing the steering wheel and the whole column just to tighten the damn thing... and the only thing i took it to the shop was for a new fuel filter... because the lines were rusted bad, and I didn't want to get involved with it... so I was happy...

My tool collection is... well, small to many, but it gets me by... it'll grow considerably starting November, as the tech school I am going to I can get Snap-On tools for 50% off! so I am going to load up... everything I have now is Craftsman... except for the cheap AmPro tools from when I had to run out to Advance to get a tool that I didn't have... funny though, as a Christmas gift, one of the things my friend in Hawaii sent me was an authentic kit of Vice Grips... 1 small and 1 large... I havn't had a use until today... trying to get the little dowl thingy into the hole.. if it wasn't for *both* of those vice-grips.. I wouldn't have been able to do it :).... sometimes things actually *do* work out for me :)

hell, I even do basic body work, although it comes out looking bad... but... starting November I will be learning to be an aircraft mechanic... and most the things I learn working on aircraft can be used with my hobby of cars... so I am glad....

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-05, 09:44 PM
50% off snap on is a good deal in a way ...but its still more expensive than craftsman ...90% of my box is craftsman with the others from snapon .....even snapons cresent wrenches are works of art and are truely a quality peice (albeit they cost 2 times more than a craftsman cresent wrench)