: Debate! Crossed vs. Slotted Brake Rotors

jeph054
04-02-13, 11:45 AM
So this topic tends to have a wide spectrum of opinions. So here is the application:
2007 V completely stock. No track time or racing. This is my DD and I drive spirited several times a week.
My problem is I can not decide which to get.
Slotted tend to clog in the grove and drilled tend to crack at the drilled holes. However, This usually only occures under repeated heavy braking which I do not do. I am leaning toward the cross drilled but they are much harder to find then the slotted. Does this insinuate something?
Looking forward to your feed back!

barrok69
04-02-13, 12:05 PM
Go with Stock. There are no real reasons to go with drilled unless you want weight savings and shortened durability. Slotted won't really do much for a daily driver either. They only offer a "cool look".

Andringa
04-02-13, 12:12 PM
In my opinion, for daily driving plain/slotted/drilled all comes down to cosmetic personal preference. Find a set of rotors that you like the look of and just get them.

I put plain Centric rotors on last year, and I picked them because Tirerack had a decent price and I liked the look of the e-coated hats. I wanted slotted rotors, but at the time couldn't find a decent price. Since then I've heard good things about DRT rotors and a quick search shows a really decent price for slotted rotors.
http://www.drt-sport.com/content/2005-cadillac-cts-v-centric-premium-slotted-rotors-rotors-front-pair

Good luck.

lollygagger8
04-02-13, 12:22 PM
Why not do both?

jamesdem1123
04-02-13, 12:49 PM
Carbon ceramic

http://www.brembo.com/en/car/original-equipment/products/Pages/Carbon%20ceramic%20discs.aspx

Random84
04-02-13, 12:58 PM
For daily street driving in your application, there is no real difference. Get what looks cool (it's why many "track orientated" cars - including Porsche and Corvette - are sold with them).

Drilled will crack eventually if you are an aggressive driver, but it might take a few sets of pads to get there. The only caveat is if you track the car or are exceptionally hard on brakes like in canyon-carving or something, then you want to avoid drilled at all costs.

Slotted are much more durable than drilled, and arguably better performance-wise on a DD than solid due to the cleaning effect on pads preventing glazing or pad contamination (at the expense of faster pad wear). But if you're driving hard, you will have a more aggressive pad anyway and the slots again may become somewhat moot; but you'll still enjoy the additional noise from slotted rotors relative to standard.

All of this assumes similar material and workmanship quality; as you get what you pay for.

So yeah, go get your drilled rotors and have fun. :)

JDB
04-02-13, 02:17 PM
DRT slotted appears to be a good bang for the buck. 3500 metallurgy.

I'm still on my original stock rotors, which are oj their second set of street pads and couple of track pads (some used).

Anyone use Centric "high carbon" rotors? Not much $ over stock. Wish they were slotted... and lighter.

odla
04-02-13, 03:58 PM
If you want better braking go with a better pad. I use stock rotors on track and had no problems with them. I did have hps+ pads glow white but the rotors stayed fine. Like everyone said go with what you like the look of if your just daily driving.

garrettg
04-03-13, 11:22 AM
Power Slot slotted rotors are good value at ~500 for a full set. Each corner has its own part # as the vanes must be directional. I have been running them for a while now and they offer solid performance if you are looking for a slotted rotor with black hat that is on par or better than stock.

If you get better pads make sure they are actually better than stock. Hawk hps and stop tech street performance are known to offer lower level of performance than stock pad performance levels but with reduced dusting levels. I have not ran the hps so don't know the actual difference but consensus is they are not as good as stock. I have run the stoptech street performance and they are not even in the same league as stock. The hawk hp+ does surpass stock pad bite levels but at the cost of some low speed squeaking. The stock pads for the V1 are very good but they dust like crazy.

Andringa
04-03-13, 04:11 PM
Having driven stock and HP+ pads, there is no reason to run the HP+ on a DD that doesn't see track use. They offer better performance, but not at temperatures that you are likely to encounter on the street.

odthetruth
04-03-13, 06:12 PM
I'd go just slotted.
I've cracked crossdrilled right at the holes before.