: Thoughts on the V's base curb weight? I say-- < 3600lbs.

M5eater
04-02-13, 12:40 PM
Just strolling the interwebz, drooling over the notion of having to choose between an F80 m3 or an ATS-V when I stumbled upon this gem;
http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/en/cadillac/vehicles/ats/2013.tab1.html

there-in you will note the following;

Base curb weight (lb / kg):
2.5L RWD / Auto – (3315/ 1503)
2.0 Turbo RWD / Auto – (3373/ 1530)
2.0 Turbo RWD / Man – (3403/ 1543)
2.0 Turbo AWD / Auto – (3543 / 1607)
3.6L RWD / Auto – (3461/ 1570)
3.6L AWD / Auto – (3629/ 1646)
Weight distribution (% front / rear):
2.5L (50.4 / 49.6)
2.0 Turbo w/ automatic (51 / 49)
2.0 Turbo w/ manual (50.1 / 49.9)
3.6L (51.5 / 48.5

The first thing I would like to point out, is that there's a 30lb disadvantage to the Tremec against the new 6L45E! We can generally presume to say that the V will likely get something similar to this trans given that they've specifically designed it for the ATS and it's currently only utilized in 1 engine type. I hardly believe it's a stretch to say that a few cool million to use it only once isn't simply illogical, it's tip-toes into crazy stupid.

the second thing I would like to point out, is that the V6, even with a giant lump up front, still manages to remain fairly thin, coming under 3500 lbs and with decent weight distribution, it's a mear 88lbs heavier than the 2.0T

Now I'd like to point out that varing sources are claiming the new CTS will show up with a 3616 lb curb weight, Wikipedia is calling for just shy of 4,000 lbs for the twin turbo version, at 3956. While I haven't yet seen where Wikipedia is quoting this number, it does seem relatively close to what the new build will *probably* weigh, given the current CTS-V auto trails at 4250lbs. however at best, we can assume this is the 'educated guess' of some anonymous poster unless otherwise proven .

It's fairly safe to assume with the plethora of TT V6 rumors running around on this car that this is the mill we'll see in the V, possibly with a different tune or power band to account for a lighter car, but generally the same components.

While it's also unreasonable to assume the additional 300+lbs in this number comes only from the twin-turbo variant, given that it's likely being influenced by additional technology not available on the base models (similar to the V receiving the bose/nav systems as standard) it's still fairly reasonable to assume that inter coolers, extra oil/coolant cooling capacity, and a pair of turbo's will rocket the ATS-V up at least 75+lbs on the engine side.

It's also safe to presume that similar to the V's of lore, that it will will receive 'standard' features listed as upgrades on base models, but it should also be said that the CTS receives many more goodies than than what an ATS will. Land departure warnings, radar cruise control and automatic braking for example.

Which then points us to the question. Given a heavier engine, and a car laden with 'standard' nav (maybe 10-30lbs with upgraded auto equipment?) heavier brakes, and possibly heavier drive train (in the form of an upgraded clutch)

How much will the ATS-V weigh? We can likely presume that there will only be cosmetic changes in the form of re sculpted fenders and front/rear fascias. I hardly believe that with all aluminum body panels they would go out of their way to CF, it's simply a great expense to save 10-20lbs. So really, we're looking at what a 3.6 ATS RWD weighs now (3440) plus something in the neighborhood of 100-150lbs.

How much did the E90 weigh? depending on options, 37xx seems to be what I'm reading.

Fraggy
04-04-13, 12:54 AM
I've seen E90s over 3800lbs. Lol. Pigs :)

marktanner
04-04-13, 10:43 AM
The CTS weights are listed on the Cadillac website. 2.0 T with 6 sp auto 3616, 3.6 with 8 sp 3745, and 3.6 TT 3952, all RWD. The 2.0 CTS is 243 lb heavier than the ATS auto, and the 3.6 is 284 lb heavier. I would guess most, but not all, of the 41 lb is due to the 8 sp tranny. The 210 lb increase for the TT with the same 8 sp is mind-boggling. It even has 18's, not 19's! However, turbo plumbing plus intercooler, LSD, and bigger brakes all weigh more, though 210 lb still sounds excessive. In any event, one could reasonably expect the ATS-V to weigh at least 200 lb more than the ATS 3.6, or about 3650 lb, unless they develop aluminum doors, roof panels, or other expensive light weight parts for this model.

The weight increase of the 2.0 manual over the auto is quite unexpected. However, the manual does have an LSD standard as well as an electronic parking brake. The Tremec may be beefier than necessary for the four, too. Of interest is the weight distribution, which shows more weight added to the rear (LSD). Only the Premium has the LSD standard for the 3.6, so the weight and distribution for that model would be nice to compare to the manual Premium.

73JPS
04-04-13, 08:54 PM
"Adding power makes you faster on the straights. Subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere." -Colin Chapman

Let's hope Cadillac... nay, all car manufacturers, re-acquaint themselves with this fact, in spite of all regulations that conspire against it.