: timing chain and rear differential

hicks1858
04-02-13, 09:01 AM
Im new to this forum so here we go. I just had my catalytic converter in the shop and was dianosed with a p0430 and was told that was a catalyst efficiency code. Ok I then had cadillac replace the catalytic converter. I drove the car and now its misfiring. The car was surging before I took the car there but they went and replaced the cat anyway. I thought that was the problem which they had diagnosed it with a previous week. I did not have the money at the time. Ok I bring the car back and now am told that the timing chain needs to be replaced a second time. $16-1900 and then am told not to drive the car because I will burn out the cat? Why was I not told that in the first place when I could have had the timing chain done at the time. It cost me $846.00 to do the cat. Now Im told that the rear differential bushing needs to be replaced again yet a second time. Im just at my wits with this car and is changing this timing chain a DIY. I currently have about 162000 miles on the 2007 cadillac srx..had the timing chain and rear differential bushings replaced at 57000mi. Is it normal for these to wear so fast and the rear diffirential bushing replacement is $500.00 labor.

jdq
04-04-13, 06:03 PM
I replaced the diff bushing year and half ago and seems it is starting to go again, $50 part in canada and is DIY if you are somewhat mechanically inclined .Not lookin forward to doin it but sure beats payin $5-800.There is a step by step if u search differential bushing .Took the whole day to chisel it out lol