: Thinking a trade??

vettegirl
04-02-13, 12:35 AM
Went from a vette to the V and it took some adjusting, but I'm really starting to love the car. I have a silver 2011 with 21k miles and the only thing that could make me love it more is to have the recaros and a 6spd manual.

Think I could find a private owner or dealer who would want to make a close to even swap?? The 6spd is the biggest hang up for me :-\

1997BlackETC
04-02-13, 12:48 AM
You never know, might be worth it posting your trade request in the classifieds, maybe someone has a 6 speed who wants an auto?

IBMike
04-02-13, 12:52 AM
You might get lucky and someone on the board who you could work something out with; BUT, given the Recaros are $3k plus, you might have to come out of pocket a little. Guessing unless you know a dealer who's willing to hook you up, they'll be looking for their cut which would rule out anything close to an even trade.

Random84
04-02-13, 07:15 AM
You might get lucky and someone on the board who you could work something out with; BUT, given the Recaros are $3k plus, you might have to come out of pocket a little. Guessing unless you know a dealer who's willing to hook you up, they'll be looking for their cut which would rule out anything close to an even trade.

+1

You're not anywhere close to even on a trade unless you swap out for a 2009 with more miles. If you try to swap for a car of the same year/miles with Recaros and manual... you'll get hosed: not only would someone want a little for their time, but the $2500 for seats means you're paying around $4K for the option best-case scenario... with the big assumption being that you can find someone who likes silver, base seats and autos preferentially over whatever they currently have.

Going to a dealer? Forget it - they'll take you to the cleaners; might as well trade it in and buy new! :D

V-Roll
04-02-13, 12:48 PM
I agree with Random84 except for the comment about silver color, it's one of only maybe a couple colors that have actually stayed modern/ new looking through the years. I would not have bought my V2 w/ out recaros & 6M. Also glad it doesn't have the space robbing, crackling and potentially leaking sunroof..

neuronbob
04-02-13, 01:52 PM
Random84 hits the nail on the head. I sucked it up for almost four years and then traded out for a 6MT with Recaros. Not that the automatic is bad (it's not) or that the regular seats are awful (they are not, but the Recaros are clearly better)....

In any case, someone bought my silver 6AT 2009 with regular seats within a couple of months of my trading it, so there is clearly a market out there for such cars. You will likely have to wait a long time for a trade with another user of the type you are proposing.

Stillborn
04-02-13, 03:09 PM
just goes to show what impulsive purchases will do,... they cause regret and diluted self worth. always plan accordingly and think things through.
like a 2010 with said options for the same price. as for the unhappy auto vs stick issue, try sport mode shifting for a few weeks and all you'll find is your left foot is stationary, they are both manually controlling up and down shifts at your desired rpm. i use the console shifter with light taps and find it much more responsive than the dozens of manuals I've owned. it's all perception (in your head) there is where the problem lies. as for the recaros, thats been beat to death as why one
would buy a super car with base (entry level) seats is just ridiculous and very "green". this is not meant to ridicule the op, it's just logic for the archives.

Rule12b
04-03-13, 02:58 AM
Well I could help you with the recaros...:-)

VMoose
04-03-13, 04:38 AM
I don't believe any amount of sport-shifting will be as satisfying as a 6MT. Yes, it's slower, but the enjoyment factor far outweighs it. For a DD, I'm not so concerned about racing every car on road or timing 0-60 runs on my way to work. I love having a relatively rare, fast, good looking car. I've decided to order a V wagon with 6MT, because I think it makes an already great ride that much more unique and fun to drive.

I think trading an auto with base seats for a manual with recaros is less a problem of the head, and more a problem of the bank account. If you want the 6MT and recaros and have the money to make the switch to a car with those options, then go for it. Otherwise, be happy with what you have!

RaVeNous
04-03-13, 09:27 AM
Even if you're car is worth more than the trade, unless its thousands more, a dealer isn't going to trade straight up - it just costs them money.

While I was searching for my car recently, cars with the Recarro seats were priced higher than those cars without by $1000-2000 dollars typically with similar other features. I found manual cars to be priced just a tad lower too. Those seats were one of the only options that I found to have a very clear premium on the asking price.

This will make it difficult to trade. I HAD to have the seats simply because of the look and adjustment for aggressive driving. It just so happens they are really comfortable for me as well. Honestly, you'd be better off doing a retrofit for the cost an PITA of trying to trade cars. The manual vs. auto thing - they both have their strong points. I personally searched for cars that had all of my other wants, and would have been fine with either transmission. They both are fun.

thebigjimsho
04-03-13, 05:35 PM
Went from a vette to the V and it took some adjusting, but I'm really starting to love the car. I have a silver 2011 with 21k miles and the only thing that could make me love it more is to have the recaros and a 6spd manual.

Think I could find a private owner or dealer who would want to make a close to even swap?? The 6spd is the biggest hang up for me :-\

I knew you'd come around...

Mongopush
04-03-13, 06:36 PM
The problem is used manuals are hard to find,that is with low miles. When I did find one, the dealers had them way overpriced since they are harder come by. They were plenty of AT's but rarely 6MT's w/ Recaros . Your better of ordering new the way you want but would need to hurry , maybe dealer incentives would help you a little overall .