: V-Wagon Order -- 12+ Weeks to Delivery?



r_calif
04-02-13, 12:22 AM
I placed an order for a 2013 V-wagon in mid-January. The car was built around March 4, but it *still* hasn't been shipped from Lansing (to the SF Bay Area). So I'm looking at, best case, a late-April delivery or over twelve weeks from order. Anybody else in this boat? The dealer said he had several customers experiencing such a delay, but no details on the cause yet.

sierrabenz
04-02-13, 01:37 AM
Mine was ordered on December 8th and arrived at the dealer (Michael Cadillac in Fresno) on March 18th -- I picked it up on the 20th. Three and a half months more or less.

1997BlackETC
04-02-13, 01:45 AM
It can be a long wait for sure, I've heard as low as 5 or 6 weeks and as much as 4 months. I don't think I'll ever order another car again, I'll just get them off lots even if it's not exactly what I wanted, I just hate the waiting game, I'm impatient.

IBMike
04-02-13, 01:46 AM
damn, that sucks. Maybe they'll let you fly there and drive it home yourself! :)

ThunderGray34
04-02-13, 02:09 AM
In theory, ordering from Capital Cadillac would reduce the delivery time. (I ordered (non-CTS-V) from Capital.)
http://www.capitolcadillac.net/index.htm

Belairlover
04-02-13, 03:28 AM
Trust me, it's worth the wait
Mine took 12 weeks , seeing the car for the first time was AWESOME, just take lots of pictures and a video.....

Jinx
04-02-13, 03:49 AM
This is the third car I've ordered. It's exactly what I want, and I'm going to have it for years. Eight weeks isn't so bad.
But twelve weeks? That's cruel and unusual punishment. ;)

nytoolmkr
04-02-13, 06:12 AM
mine was 6 weeks to the day......ordered Friday 2/15 got the call it was ready on Friday 3/29.......picked it up 3/30

neuronbob
04-02-13, 07:15 AM
Dealer allocation, allocation, allocation.

You know, we could use a primer on this site about ordering and what questions to ask. I knew what to ask by being on this site for so long.

Question 1 (ask sales manager, not salesman): do you have allocation? Dealers have this info usually on Mon or Tues so best to ask then. If no, then ask when will you have allocation? If answer is I don't know, move on to next dealer unless you don't mind a long wait, got a super deal, or have a good relationship with your dealer.

Question 2: any parts you want on restriction? That will affect what you can order in a timely fashion.

Ask for weekly updates as the sales manager gets info once a week on your build. My dealer pretty much automatically emailed weekly reminders. I had an awesome sales experience at Central Cadi here in Cleveland.

Anyway, I asked my dealer these questions and the answers were no, next week, and no. So I ordered, dealer was able to get allocation within five days, and exactly six weeks later I had my car, despite the Thanksgiving holiday shutting the factory down. A hefty deposit and the dealer's being moderate-high volume in a major metro helped.

1997BlackETC
04-02-13, 10:44 AM
Ya, but what if the dealer says to all the questions Yes, Yes and Yes, but in reality the answers are No, No and No? Thats generally the way it works, everything is just Yes sir.

stl_ls1gto
04-02-13, 12:13 PM
it appears they build a bunch of V's at the same time. I ordered my V wagon in late January, was delivered about 2 weeks ago. Other V wagons were also delivered to members on here the same time mine was, they were all built at the same time - and some of the other members ordered weeks before me

Jinx
04-02-13, 12:51 PM
How can the dealer prove he has allocation?
And what's the progression of status codes for an order these days?

stl_ls1gto
04-02-13, 01:05 PM
I was in my dealer yesterday to pick up the title, and they said they have 3 V wagons on order, they said there has been a huge amount of last minute ordering of the V wagons.....allocations might play a huge part in these last minute rush orders

neuronbob
04-02-13, 02:45 PM
Ya, but what if the dealer says to all the questions Yes, Yes and Yes, but in reality the answers are No, No and No? Thats generally the way it works, everything is just Yes sir.

That's a fair point. I am lucky in that the salesfolk I dealt with were pretty straight with me, one of the reasons I gave them my business. Had they been lying slime......you guys would have heard about it from me.

r_calif
04-03-13, 01:02 AM
The sales manager reports that, since the car is already made, the problem is with the shipping company that contracts with GM. So it doesn't seem it's a dealer allocation issue. In any case, Cadillac is going to give me a $1,000 voucher good toward the purchase price. That makes the delay easier to take -- and they did that without my complaining first.

VMoose
04-04-13, 03:13 AM
Maybe they can throw in some bonus Cadillac swag or accessories when you pick it up too!

Gman1023
04-07-13, 01:51 AM
Just got my build date today, May 13th. I ordered March 9th, so by the time it ships and I pick it up it will probably be 10 or 11 weeks. Long for sure, but it will be worth it. I presume it's at least partially allocation related (I ordered from a small-town dealer) but that in itself is a tradeoff. In my experience a lot of the high volume dealers aren't too interested in dealing on the price the way the smaller ones are, so it's worth it to me to wait a few extra weeks and drive a few more miles to get a good deal on the V.

I think though that in addition to the allocation issue, Cadillac is definitely batching production of the V's, especially the Vagons as production on V2s slows to a trickle. I'm suspecting that mine will be one of the very last build dates for 2013 Vagons.

Random84
04-07-13, 10:06 AM
Just got my build date today, May 13th. I ordered March 9th, so by the time it ships and I pick it up it will probably be 10 or 11 weeks. Long for sure, but it will be worth it. I presume it's at least partially allocation related (I ordered from a small-town dealer) but that in itself is a tradeoff. In my experience a lot of the high volume dealers aren't too interested in dealing on the price the way the smaller ones are, so it's worth it to me to wait a few extra weeks and drive a few more miles to get a good deal on the V.

I think though that in addition to the allocation issue, Cadillac is definitely batching production of the V's, especially the Vagons as production on V2s slows to a trickle. I'm suspecting that mine will be one of the very last build dates for 2013 Vagons.

What kind of price did you get on your V (relative to invoice)? I know ultimately the price depends on whatever incentives/rebates are active when the car is delivered, my big-town high volume dealer offered $500 below invoice + incentives... which I figured was fair given the new vehicle order uncertainty (versus on the lot and known incentives), my having a trade in I would drive for another 6+ weeks... and the fact that Manual Wagons are hard to come buy.

I had another dealer (the only other one within 100 miles or so), beat their offer by a hundred bucks... but that salesman had never actually ordered a car before, they had no allocation, and they were wrong about the last day to order (premature by 3 weeks) - so I figured the $100 difference is a tip for competency.

Yeah, I know there is more money on the table... but I'm paying a premium for the new car/order experience. My point being that, in my case, the experience was better through the larger dealer (with the same pricing) - and at least this way I know the car will A: be built, B: be ordered correctly, and C: hopefully come in a little more quickly relative to the smaller, incompetent dealer that is further away.[COLOR="Silver"]

Jinx
04-07-13, 12:14 PM
An extra hundred bucks? But that's an extra $1.67 a month over five years... ;)

Random84
04-07-13, 12:53 PM
An extra hundred bucks? But that's an extra $1.67 a month over five years... ;)

Yeah, the funny part was the dealership I went with initially offered invoice. But there was extensive back and forth about my trade-in, and when I came back in they were using $500 under invoice "like we promised." So even though I know they're making a decent buck even before dealer cash-back when the car is delivered... My price was about the same as anywhere else I could find once I calculated in fair value on my trade.

So yeah, everyone's situation is different, my dealer would have done at least a grand under invoice for a car physically on the lot at the time. I think this is because there was a dealer cash incentive (in addition to typical holdback) for last month that they would have calculated into the negotiation.

FWIW there is a Black Diamond CTS-V wagon with every option (auto) with a $74,550 MSRP that their bottom dollar was around $67ish if I recall correctly. It was a 2013 GM show car with 300 miles on it. That Black Diamond looks absolutely fantastic with chromies and red calipers... but I couldn't settle for the auto. Please don't reference my post if you call in, I don't want to send any mixed messages or offend anyone at the dealership - just putting it out there that this car is available (and gorgeous).

ETA: http://images.cobaltgroup.com/7/4/3/6785395347x640.jpg

Gman1023
04-07-13, 12:58 PM
What kind of price did you get on your V (relative to invoice)? I know ultimately the price depends on whatever incentives/rebates are active when the car is delivered, my big-town high volume dealer offered $500 below invoice + incentives... which I figured was fair given the new vehicle order uncertainty (versus on the lot and known incentives), my having a trade in I would drive for another 6+ weeks... and the fact that Manual Wagons are hard to come buy.

I had another dealer (the only other one within 100 miles or so), beat their offer by a hundred bucks... but that salesman had never actually ordered a car before, they had no allocation, and they were wrong about the last day to order (premature by 3 weeks) - so I figured the $100 difference is a tip for competency.

Yeah, I know there is more money on the table... but I'm paying a premium for the new car/order experience. My point being that, in my case, the experience was better through the larger dealer (with the same pricing) - and at least this way I know the car will A: be built, B: be ordered correctly, and C: hopefully come in a little more quickly relative to the smaller, incompetent dealer that is further away.[COLOR="Silver"]

In my case, they dealer took the invoice price and then subtracted current incentives ($2000 dealer cash at the time) plus gave me more than the "Excellent" KBB trade in for the trade. The other dealers I talked to, both a large city dealer and a higher volume suburban dealer were unwilling to go below $1,000 over invoice on an order. However, in both cases they had a 2012 Vagon on the lot that had been hanging around a while, so the unwillingness to order is not totally unexpected. The experience at the dealer I'm buying from has so far been very positive. The salesman I'm working with placed an order last year for a very similarly optioned Vagon so they do have experience with the process. The lack of allocation is not a worry to me, I'll still have the car before Memorial Day and the longer it takes the more cash I'll put down to get a smaller payment.

Sounds like you made the right decision, the extra $100 is nothing when you're ordering a car like this and a good dealer is worth thousands.

Random84
04-08-13, 12:40 PM
In my case, they dealer took the invoice price and then subtracted current incentives ($2000 dealer cash at the time) plus gave me more than the "Excellent" KBB trade in for the trade.

I think you got an awesome deal then - by all accounts $1500 more than I was able to wrangle as I placed my order at the end of March (literally, the 30th so it was "picked up" 04/01 I think) and have the same target production date (week of May 13th). So I'm guessing that they make them in batches...

I also find it interesting that your dealer gave you the $2K dealer incentive, since my understanding is that the incentives only count when the car is delivered (and there's a risk, abeit small, that they could lose that by the time May arrives)? In either case, since I had to walk away once to sweeten the deal, I had the impression that their second offer was a take it or leave it proposition...

<fingers crossed for May Incentives>

Gman1023
04-08-13, 07:59 PM
I think you got an awesome deal then - by all accounts $1500 more than I was able to wrangle as I placed my order at the end of March (literally, the 30th so it was "picked up" 04/01 I think) and have the same target production date (week of May 13th). So I'm guessing that they make them in batches...

I also find it interesting that your dealer gave you the $2K dealer incentive, since my understanding is that the incentives only count when the car is delivered (and there's a risk, abeit small, that they could lose that by the time May arrives)? In either case, since I had to walk away once to sweeten the deal, I had the impression that their second offer was a take it or leave it proposition...

<fingers crossed for May Incentives>

Thanks, man! Sounds like you got a good deal on yours too. It's a crapshoot when you're ordering. Given that I was special ordering I feel I did great. Could I have played hardball and tried for more money off? Maybe, but I felt that the dealer was very fair with me and was giving signals of running out of steam on the negotiation. The dealer does have a bit of leverage too with the end of the model run fast approaching, if you want to order a car they can really play that to their advantage right now.

On the incentives, I was under the same impression about the incentives at time of delivery being the ones which take hold. That makes it tough on everybody though when ordering a car given the long lead time. Perhaps it is becoming/has become standard practice among some dealers to negotiate in incentives at the time of order to simplify the process. Either way, I will be keeping my ear to the tracks and if incentives are better at time of delivery I'll negotiate for them to add the difference in value on top of what I already have. I've heard of that working for folks in the past so why not?