: 2012 Rental Cars Compared: Volkswagen Passat, Ford Fusion, Chevy Malibu

Jesda
04-01-13, 11:01 PM
In October I joined Ian on a trip to Phoenix, Santa Maria CA, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas. He was looking for a high-end sedan, preferably a BMW 7-series, Mercedes S-class, or Mercedes CL, to purchase and drive back to Missouri for resale, so I tagged along for free.

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/P1130020-630x472.jpg

http://jesda.com/2012/11/04/2012-rental-cars-compared-volkswagen-passat-ford-fusion-chevy-malibu/

CTSCHICK
04-01-13, 11:24 PM
Totally disagree about the Malibu, I had 2012 Malibu with less than 10K on it for 3 weeks from Enterprise it was one of the biggest Pieces of crap I have ever driven.
The car was so bad I was actually going to consider looking for cars out side of GM and it also pushed me to buy a replacement car faster before I even had to turn it in just to get rid of it.

Jesda
04-01-13, 11:44 PM
Can you be specific?

ryannel2003
04-02-13, 12:13 AM
I agree with Jesda on this one (but I usually do anyways) as I have always found the Malibu to be a comfortable, quiet, well built and good looking midsized car. It handily beats the Fusion and Passat in this comparison though I have to say the short amount of seat time in the Passat was a good experience. Fusion? Not a fan of that design.

More importantly... where is the review of the BMW's I kept reading about? Hmmmmm.

CTSCHICK
04-02-13, 12:39 AM
Can you be specific?

Ok for starters the Malibu had 7500 miles on it and it had the same radio problem as my G5GT did with the screen on the radio occasionally Pixelating to the point of not being able to make out anything on the screen and it would stay like that for a day or so then clear up.
Common problem with that stereo obviously what ever it is they haven't been able to fix it.

The Glove box rattled

The real kicker was an occasional squeak in the dash, My b.f. isolated it and pulled the piece off and guess what was in there, Some one had placed a GM business card in there as a shim to tighten the fit to reduce the squeak I $hit you not.

My b.f. is a Gm only guy he actually used to be a Gm tech all of his friends are still Gm techs, I have only owned GM's and Out of my whole life I would have never thought I would hear the words from him saying If you do not want a Gm this time I understand.
The 2 of us were actually embarrassed for GM

To be honest it was like Deja vu all over again like my G5GT I know they will fix the glove box rattle just by sticking 2 black rubber stick on bumpers under the dash to tighten the fit putting more pressure on the glove box latch.

The 2.4 ecotec still has the VVT Delay just like I had tuned out in my G5GT
The Mileage was worse due to the size and weight of the car and I didn't see any where near the estimated mileage with it.

The reason I had the rental Malibu was because my G5GT was flooded during Sandy and I specifically requested a Gm rental car.
And I still wonder how many people get turned off by GM just because of that rental car.

Jesda
04-02-13, 12:53 AM
The main issue I've noticed, after driving several Malibus around at auctions, is that after 50-100k they develop a clunk in the steering at low speeds. Same goes for Aura, Lacrosse, Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave.

ryannel2003
04-02-13, 12:56 AM
The main issue I've noticed, after driving several Malibus around at auctions, is that after 50-100k they develop a clunk in the steering at low speeds. Same goes for Aura, Lacrosse, Acadia, Outlook, and Enclave.

Intermediate steering shaft. The Impala did that before my grandfather traded that piece of shit in. He never bothered to get it fixed because it was going to come back at some point.

CTSCHICK
04-02-13, 12:59 AM
I agree with Jesda on this one (but I usually do anyways) as I have always found the Malibu to be a comfortable, quiet, well built and good looking midsized car. It handily beats the Fusion and Passat in this comparison though I have to say the short amount of seat time in the Passat was a good experience. Fusion? Not a fan of that design.

More importantly... where is the review of the BMW's I kept reading about? Hmmmmm.

My Mother owned a 2006 Impala SS her car got flooded in Sandy to I let her borrow the Malibu she hated it to and bought a Fusion lol

ryannel2003
04-02-13, 01:01 AM
My Mother owned a 2006 Impala SS her car got flooded in Sandy to I let her borrow the Malibu she hated it to and bought a Fusion lol

My grandfather would have never personally bought a car with a 4 cylinder engine. Honestly he didn't even want a V6 engine and was originally looking at '13 Dodge Charger R/T's. But in the end I told him that car was not going to ride as nicely as the Impala and I thought the LaCrosse has decent pick-up for a V6 car. IMO it's the best application of the 3.6 V6 to date. 3500 miles later it's an excellent car. I'm driving it to class tomorrow.

CTSCHICK
04-02-13, 01:06 AM
My grandfather would have never personally bought a car with a 4 cylinder engine. Honestly he didn't even want a V6 engine and was originally looking at '13 Dodge Charger R/T's. But in the end I told him that car was not going to ride as nicely as the Impala and I thought the LaCrosse has decent pick-up for a V6 car. IMO it's the best application of the 3.6 V6 to date. 3500 miles later it's an excellent car. I'm driving it to class tomorrow.

Ah ok I remember you posting the Lacrosse sadly my Mother didnt have the patience to check out other cars and based her experience off of her Impala and my Malibu rental car and went to the Fusion.

My complaints with the Malibu were legit though other than the blandness too if there wasnt a problem with it then they wouldn't be rushing to change it already