: couple stereo system questions

cadillac kevin
04-01-13, 10:27 PM
As some of you know, i'm building a system for my FWB. I just have a couple questions (which hopefully are easy to answer)

I plan on mounting my amps and processor on the sides of the trunk (between the rear wheel well and the back of the trunk). Does anyone have any ideas of how to mount a board (14"x24") for the amps? I was thinking about screwing it into the side brace of the trunk (and putting a board in the middle of it to give me more to attach to)

For grounding, I plan on utilizing the rear seat belt/ top of back seat bolts (since they bolt directly into the body). Should I run a separate ground from each amp to one bolt (4 wires running to 4 ring terminals put on one bolt), put one ground per bolt (ground one on each bolt), or should I get a distribution block and run everything to the distribution block then run 1 wire to one of the bolts?

MrHolland
04-01-13, 10:46 PM
I would recommend doing a Big 3 Upgrade + body to frame upgrade if you haven't already. I also prefer distribution blocks. JMHO..

1980coupe
04-01-13, 11:59 PM
I attached my amps to the sides of the trunk. What I did is I removed the cardboard liner it had, traced the pattern on to a piece
of wood and cut the shape. Then, I gave myself a visual of how to do the layout. I marked the holes and used a holesaw to cut thru
the board so the wires can run thru them. Once, I did that I removed the grey liner carpet and glued it on the board
and screwed it on the brace. One screw is what holding it and never fallen. I had two amps, have one now and have the power and
ground distribution and a capacitor on one side..passenger.

cadillac kevin
04-02-13, 12:45 AM
I attached my amps to the sides of the trunk. What I did is I removed the cardboard liner it had, traced the pattern on to a piece
of wood and cut the shape. Then, I gave myself a visual of how to do the layout. I marked the holes and used a holesaw to cut thru
the board so the wires can run thru them. Once, I did that I removed the grey liner carpet and glued it on the board
and screwed it on the brace. One screw is what holding it and never fallen. I had two amps, have one now and have the power and
ground distribution and a capacitor on one side..passenger.
how thick of a board did you use?

1980coupe
04-02-13, 01:35 AM
Hmm, cant recall. It was scrap board from here at work that they were tossing and actually it was the tops of desks
I would say maybe an 1"- 1 1/2". And, I have it on both sides of trunk, so it wouldnt look weird. If you want an exact size
I can find out tomorrow in the morning...

cadillac kevin
04-02-13, 01:40 AM
Hmm, cant recall. It was scrap board from here at work that they were tossing and actually it was the tops of desks
I would say maybe an 1"- 1 1/2". And, I have it on both sides of trunk, so it wouldnt look weird. If you want an exact size
I can find out tomorrow in the morning...
If its not too much of a hassle for you, it would be appreciated.

Also, did you use a drywall screw or a sheetmetal screw for going into the brace?

The-Dullahan
04-02-13, 09:13 PM
I prefer to use bolts/nuts to hold everything in place. Never had to mount an amp in that fashion in my own car, due to...my lack of even having that part in my Brougham. But that is what I would do. So long as it is firm and not rattling, you really can use whatever method you wish to mount it, because in reality, typical amps do not weight very much.

As for grounding, I agree that the Big Three upgrade can help (though unless you are cranking out and consuming SERIOUS power, it's advantages are not really going to make a difference). As for grounding, you can really use any method you please, though as you said yourself, always bolt directly into the body. Make sure to sand or file down wherever you are mounting them to remove any paint or corrosion on the surface and make sure to use the sturdiest connection you can. Sting did not follow my advice on this, (not his fault, a friend did it) and then his amps kept overheating and clicking out.

On my own Brougham, I run everything big directly to the negative battery post. Far more convenient most of the time, but you do not have this option. I would not use a distribution box myself, I would just run the wires to wherever the closest point I could mount them is, even if this means making a path for them, then bolt them directly to that point. That is the greatest possible method, though this will usually mean different grounds for different devices.

csbuckn
04-02-13, 10:56 PM
I think the preferred method for grounding is to find the shortest possible way to a quality ground so that usually means running separate ground wires instead of a common ground. I'm trying to picture the sides of the trunk and I think that one brace is your only hope to work with. You should be able to go with a thinner board then 1" as long as you use a quality board. Nothing like compression board or MDF for mounting.

The-Dullahan
04-02-13, 11:47 PM
I would just run the wires to wherever the closest point I could mount them is, even if this means making a path for them, then bolt them directly to that point. This will usually mean different grounds for different devices.

I think the preferred method for grounding is to find the shortest possible way to a quality ground so that usually means running separate ground wires instead of a common ground.

^This guy gets it!

Someone else will have to chime in about the sides of this "trunk" thing though.

1980coupe
04-03-13, 12:07 AM
If its not too much of a hassle for you, it would be appreciated.

Also, did you use a drywall screw or a sheetmetal screw for going into the brace?
No problem. And sorry, I forgot to take a look. In the morning for sure.
I used any screw that I had and it's a long one. Don't know which kind I used, but it's there

cadillac kevin
04-03-13, 12:25 AM
I think the preferred method for grounding is to find the shortest possible way to a quality ground so that usually means running separate ground wires instead of a common ground. I'm trying to picture the sides of the trunk and I think that one brace is your only hope to work with. You should be able to go with a thinner board then 1" as long as you use a quality board. Nothing like compression board or MDF for mounting.

No, I won't be using compression board (press board/ particle board I guess?) I have plywood and finish plywood which I will be using (it's what I have so I might as well use it).

The-Dullahan
04-03-13, 01:08 AM
I prefer MDF you should just spray it down with jetliner first. Still, use what you have. That's always best.

The reason I use MDF is that it is free. Which reminds me that I need to finish my new sub box.

----------

Bedliner. Seriously phone...seriously?

cadillac kevin
04-03-13, 01:51 AM
I prefer MDF you should just spray it down with jetliner first. Still, use what you have. That's always best.

The reason I use MDF is that it is free. Which reminds me that I need to finish my new sub box.

----------

Bedliner. Seriously phone...seriously?
Sub box? I thought you had one?

I was going to build one of those btw, but I got my "miami vice" subs with a free box :)
Oh...btw, I saw a silver w/ silver top 87 electra hearse in the junkyard. Still had the landau bars (but they were super ratty)

The-Dullahan
04-03-13, 04:16 AM
I do. Then several months ago, I built another and sort of...never switched them. The difference being that the newer one does not have the attached amp rack that the older one does. An attached amp rack that is...not being used whatsoever...

Need to cover the new one and it will be good to go.

I'd love/hate to see a Hearse in my junkyard. I'd hate it, because there are better places for one...but I would totally take the rollers and landau bars off one if I found it.

Not sure what I would do with them...but I would take them.