: Right front FG2 is leaking. Just confirming that QA1 is the way to go.

rand49er
04-01-13, 05:45 PM
Darn FG2 has only 29k on it. Read a bunch of old threads, and being that FG2s are nearly impossible to come by (especially singles) it seemed that QA1 was the way to go. KW and Penske are too pricey. I called Nick at OC Shocks in Ohio, and he gave me a ballpark number, and it's even cheaper than I got the FG2s for in the first place.

Has anything changed since these old threads were new two and three years ago?

rand49er
04-01-13, 08:00 PM
Duh! Just saw this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/284246-fg2s-vs-d2-racing-coilovers.html

At two weeks old, this would seem to be fairly authoritative for my purposes. Okay, so if the FG2 I've got my eyes on falls through, then it's OC Shocks.

Skidmarcx
04-01-13, 08:10 PM
I have a used front FG2 if you're interested... I'm not looking to make a ton of money on it just want it out if my garage lol

PJGross
04-01-13, 10:07 PM
Randy,
Maybe it's BECAUSE you only have 29k on those suckers! ;) Mine at 99,458 (as of tonight) are on borrowed time, but driving them year round keeps the seals lubed. :)

I don't know if things have changed much, but I had QA1s on my Impala SS for several years. They could not take year round driving. Every winter, at least one would blow a seal. Rebuilding is possible, but the bodies were so corroded that it wasn't really worth it in my experience. I really liked the 12 position adjusting on them, though. It made track days great having a "course" tuning tool. When I sold the SS I threw out 3 decent ones and 4 "dead" ones that were waiting for rebuilds. (I had gone back to Bilsteins in the end)

I know, I have a V and it shouldn't see snow. My V loves snow, though! ;) Especially with your old rims powdercoated black!

-PJ

odla
04-02-13, 12:13 AM
I was in the same boat. Fg2 and no replacements that were cost effective. i too went with Qa1. I have my old fg2's sitting around. If you want you can have them. I don't remember which one went bad. Let me know. They seen some track days and had about 40k on them.

PISNUOFF
04-02-13, 07:07 AM
I have to rebuild at least one QA1 every year also. I use to think it was Nick at OC Shocks not knowing what he was doing but apparently that's not the case. In 5 years I've only needed to replace one body though. Both fronts are currently in need of repair because of blown seals.

rand49er
04-02-13, 07:57 AM
Sounds like those QA1s are a bit high maintenance. Of course, that's on Brian's car, though. Ha ha!

Still, taking them off every year and sending them in to be rebuilt then putting them back on sounds like a PITA.

Plus, I don't mind putting a hundred bucks or a couple of hundred into a mod here and there, but I'm also trying to keep my piggybank moving ahead for a new ATS-V or possibly a Gen 3 CTS-V, and at nearly a grand going into a set of shocks isn't on my list right now. I'd like to be done putting bigger money into my Gen 1.

darkman
04-02-13, 09:03 AM
Sounds like those QA1s are a bit high maintenance. Of course, that's on Brian's car, though. Ha ha!

Still, taking them off every year and sending them in to be rebuilt then putting them back on sounds like a PITA.

Plus, I don't mind putting a hundred bucks or a couple of hundred into a mod here and there, but I'm also trying to keep my piggybank moving ahead for a new ATS-V or possibly a Gen 3 CTS-V, and at nearly a grand going into a set of shocks isn't on my list right now. I'd like to be done putting bigger money into my Gen 1.

I'd put a pair of FE4s on the front, perhaps with some lower-rate springs in the Ground Control, and call it a day.

rand49er
04-02-13, 09:23 AM
Yeah, I thought of FE4s, but I'm not so sure about lower-rate springs ... I really like the ride with these 600s in the front.

Still trying to wrangle an FG2 as my first option; QA1s are still my second.

OneFast V
04-02-13, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I thought of FE4s, but I'm not so sure about lower-rate springs ... I really like the ride with these 600s in the front.

Still trying to wrangle an FG2 as my first option; QA1s are still my second.

You could get D2 coil over kit for about $900 and re use your ground control springs on the d2 kit....

rand49er
04-02-13, 01:57 PM
You could get D2 coil over kit for about $900 and re use your ground control springs on the d2 kit....That's not far from the ~$850 OC Shocks wants for a set of QA1s. Don't know much about the D2 kit, but I was hopefully going to utilize my GC kit and Eibachs with the QA1s (if I go that route). Is that a valid plan?

How do D2s compare with QA1s?

OneFast V
04-02-13, 02:17 PM
That's not far from the ~$850 OC Shocks wants for a set of QA1s. Don't know much about the D2 kit, but I was hopefully going to utilize my GC kit and Eibachs with the QA1s (if I go that route). Is that a valid plan?

How do D2s compare with QA1s?

I have not run the QA1s but i like my D2s so far, they are 32 way adjustable. They however are not rebuildable like the QA1s. I have about 7k miles on mine and no issues yet.

rand49er
04-02-13, 02:35 PM
... they are 32 way adjustable ...Hm-m ...

... They however are not rebuildable like the QA1s ...Double hm-m ...

lollygagger8
04-02-13, 03:20 PM
I'd buy two FE4's and call it a day if it was me.

OneFast V
04-02-13, 03:28 PM
Correction 36-way adjustable and i just got confirmation from D2 racing you can buy single replacement struts at $130 each and they generally carry stock.

lollygagger8
04-02-13, 03:49 PM
Or get this dude to sell just the shocks...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p10108-used-set-of-fg2-27s-and-springs20k-miles500-00-shipped-.html

JDB
04-02-13, 04:28 PM
I have a used front FG2 if you're interested... I'm not looking to make a ton of money on it just want it out if my garage lol

2nd. I too have a spare. I also am still running rear FG2s. So, if someone wants to make a full set...

Or if Randy wants one... has about 30k.

rand49er
04-02-13, 04:37 PM
Or get this dude to sell just the shocks...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-classifieds/cadillac-cts-vs-for-sale/p10108-used-set-of-fg2-27s-and-springs20k-miles500-00-shipped-.htmlEven if he'd let just the shocks go for, say, $200, I'd go for the QA1s. Yeah, I know that doesn't seem to make sense, but I'm a bit soured on FG2s at the moment. Besides, I might have one FG2 coming. If it fails sooner rather than later, then eff it, I'll get the QA1s.

----------

2nd. I too have a spare. I also am still running rear FG2s. So, if someone wants to make a full set...

Or if Randy wants one... has about 30k.I think I'm good ... or expect to be. I'll know soon.

Skidmarcx
04-03-13, 12:09 PM
Randy your inbox is full... I pulled the shock from my garage parts pile and looks like it's starting to leak I compressed the piston and didn't like what I saw... it's been sitting for over a year and I'd rather not send you a leaking shock... sorry

rand49er
04-03-13, 02:36 PM
Randy your inbox is full... I pulled the shock from my garage parts pile and looks like it's starting to leak I compressed the piston and didn't like what I saw... it's been sitting for over a year and I'd rather not send you a leaking shock... sorryWhoa! Glad you saw that. I might have another one, but I'm keeping OC Shocks tel no. close at hand.

JDB
04-03-13, 03:11 PM
:cheers:Send me a case of Bell's Winter White Ale and you can have my spare FG2.

rand49er
04-03-13, 04:47 PM
:cheers:Send me a case of Bell's Winter White Ale and you can have my spare FG2.Bell's Porter is my all time favorite beer.

Seriously, can even send beer via UPS?

AAIIIC
04-03-13, 06:42 PM
Perhaps the spring rate that is 50% higher than stock explains why your FG2s aren't lasting?

FuzzyLogic
04-03-13, 08:38 PM
Perhaps the spring rate that is 50% higher than stock explains why your FG2s aren't lasting?

Dunno. I've been running linear springs in the Ground Control configuration from 550 in-lbs to 850 in-lbs and my FG2s are in very good condition. 26k miles total--18k of those with the Ground Control setup.

V for victory
04-03-13, 08:56 PM
I just sold my FG2's new in the box to MoTown the other day, He might just have the last set on the planet still in the box. Ha

rand49er
04-03-13, 09:39 PM
Perhaps the spring rate that is 50% higher than stock explains why your FG2s aren't lasting?If the other one blows out soon, then this theory will get a whole lot more credible. Wonder how other hi-rate spring owners are doing on this.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 05:09 PM

Choose wisely. I want that V perfect when I buy it...

rand49er
04-04-13, 06:31 PM
Choose wisely. I want that V perfect when I buy it...How's your piggybank looking?

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 08:25 PM
How's your piggybank looking?

Now? Cooked.

JDB
04-04-13, 09:34 PM
:alchi:
Bell's Porter is my all time favorite beer.

Seriously, can even send beer via UPS?

You say what's in the box... so...

odla
04-08-13, 01:50 PM
rand49er has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

I tried to call the number you gave me but no answer.

rand49er
04-08-13, 03:25 PM
rand49er has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space

I tried to call the number you gave me but no answer.PM box fixed. Sorry about that.

Not sure why the number didn't work.

odla
04-08-13, 07:04 PM
pm sent.

ronr
04-25-13, 09:29 PM
You still need one? I may have a used one laying around in the garage, and local :)