: Ticking from the front of the motor...

ctsvdubbz
04-01-13, 04:33 PM
Checked everything up top.. Header bolts, rockers, coils,... Ticking seems to be coming from the front.. Put a stethescope right behind the crank pulley.. Seems to be real loud right there.. Could it be a timing chain issue cuz i was leaning towards that and plan to change it.. But just wanted some input see if anyone else had any ideas...

Litlgangsta
04-05-13, 11:50 AM
*bump* I to have this problem and would like to hear some opinions.

rand49er
04-05-13, 12:50 PM
Geez, those timing chains last well past 100k miles unless they're driving a very serious camshaft at very serious RPMs.

How many miles do you have?

Could it also be one of the front rods (loose cap)? Can you post up a vid with audio?

ctsvdubbz
04-05-13, 10:22 PM
I will post a video.. Last summer i let my little brother take it for a day.. Came back with a broken valve spring and a slightly bent valve... Im thinking maybe a bent pushrod also? Would that tick? All the work was done by a machine shop n changed everything in the head except pushrods...

darkman
04-05-13, 10:47 PM
I will post a video.. Last summer i let my little brother take it for a day.. Came back with a broken valve spring and a slightly bent valve... Im thinking maybe a bent pushrod also? Would that tick? All the work was done by a machine shop n changed everything in the head except pushrods...

Yes, a bent pushrod can cause a tick.

robojesus
04-05-13, 11:52 PM
Yes, a bent pushrod can cause a tick.

i agree, but not in this location. i think what he is hearing is likely a bearing in an accessory drive pulley/tensioner pulley.

i can't envision a scenario in which an impending timing chain failure would make a ticking sound.

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-13, 12:10 AM
would you say it's more of a tickticktick tick tick ticktick or more of a tick ticktick tick tick ticktick

there's a little bitty change...it's not the same, that little bitty "ting"

robojesus
04-06-13, 12:55 AM
delta, it could be the rear end. he might need some octane booster to get it figured out for sure.

ls6v
04-06-13, 01:04 AM
mine ticks and I only have 8700 miles on my 04, especially when the motor is cold, is this a common thing or should I be pooping? its like a mild lifter tick sound

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-13, 01:24 AM
for real, though, robojesus, I think he should try a speed density tuen

ctsvdubbz
04-06-13, 11:29 AM
Took off the main belt... Still ticked.. Used a stethoscope.. I know they arent always 100 percent accurate... Seems reql loud on the bottom right below the crank pulley..

----------

Definitely right in the front...

robojesus
04-06-13, 12:08 PM
crank or rod bearing maybe!?!?!

JFensty
04-06-13, 03:48 PM
Seems like a bearing would be more of a pronounced knock instead of a tick.

Where's that video?

And the cold ticking is most likely piston slap which is somewhat common on yhe ls6 when the motor is cold.

D3l7a3ch0
04-06-13, 04:05 PM
Took off the main belt... Still ticked.. Used a stethoscope.. I know they arent always 100 percent accurate... Seems reql loud on the bottom right below the crank pulley..

----------

Definitely right in the front...

is that where the oil pump is located

ctsvdubbz
04-06-13, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLn7daWgXkY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

D3l7a3ch0
04-07-13, 03:18 AM
I have recently retired from noise diagnosing through the internet, but good luck with your search.

my recommendation is, until you know what part you have to pull, take it to a mechanic on-the-clock or otherwise, so they can run diagnostic actions in person

may you continue to work hard in your endeavors, brother.

ctsvdubbz
04-07-13, 09:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyx5Np7Z2oE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ctsvdubbz
04-11-13, 05:37 PM
Any ideas?

darkman
04-11-13, 06:29 PM
In your first post you listed rocker as one of the things you had already checked. Have you had both valve covers off?

ctsvdubbz
04-11-13, 08:48 PM
Yes i torqued all the rockers.. And had both valve covers off..

darkman
04-11-13, 09:20 PM
I couldn't here anything all that unusual on the video. I know I here more noise with my engine cover off, which is one of the reasons GM puts them on there. You might see what it sounds like with engine cover on.

Also if you can put it on Rhino ramps or jack stands and get under the car with a stethoscope any rod or main bearing noises will be louder on the bottom side of the motor. How is your oil pressure?

ctsvdubbz
04-11-13, 10:15 PM
Oil pressure reads real high.. Think it may be broke... Been that way since i got it... Used a stethoscope seems to be coming from the bottom right in front of the crank pulley...

----------

A bearing would be a knock id think.. And theres no shavigs of metal in the oil..

darkman
04-11-13, 10:21 PM
The sound of a spun main bearing is more of a metallic squeal than a knock - very ugly sound. The rod bearing, of course is a knock. The typical way to check the oil for metal is to cut open the oil filter.

D3l7a3ch0
04-12-13, 02:03 AM
The sound of a spun main bearing is more of a metallic squeal than a knock - very ugly sound. The rod bearing, of course is a knock. The typical way to check the oil for metal is to cut open the oil filter.

all the oil filters I cut open have shavings in them like I just hacksawed through metal! help! (and some of it is even the same color as the paint on the outside of the filter--help!!)

sssnake
04-12-13, 11:13 AM
When you took the valve covers off did you check all of the pushrods (roll them on a clean flat surface)? I couldn't here anything with the rpms up but at the end of the clip I thought I heard a familiar tick. If the pushrods are slightly bent it reduces preload and makes the valve train noisy among other issues.

ctsvdubbz
04-12-13, 10:21 PM
Did not check the push rods that could also possibly be... Everyone ive talked to says its lifters or something top end.. Which kinda makes me a little less worried... But i will check them and price lifters and maybe rockers n just replace it all... The stethoscope was loud right behind the crank pulley... So that worried me alot..

darkman
04-12-13, 10:44 PM
For what it is worth a failing harmonic balancer can become noisey even without developing any visible wobble.

ctsvdubbz
05-11-13, 03:55 PM
Swapped the pushrods... Tick is gone... Some of the pulleys are a little noisy still but sounds 100 times better... Found one pushrod that was bent.. Not by much at all... Cant believe a bens that slight would cause a tick like that..

sssnake
05-13-13, 02:20 PM
Swapped the pushrods... Tick is gone... Some of the pulleys are a little noisy still but sounds 100 times better... Found one pushrod that was bent.. Not by much at all... Cant believe a bens that slight would cause a tick like that..

Be sure the lifters and cam are ok. With a bent pushrod you may find damage to them as well.