: 1989 Cadillac Brougham Knocking PLEASE HELP!!!

reelheavy
04-01-13, 03:03 PM
Ok. So last night I was on my way back to school when I got off the highway and came to a red light my caddys oil light came on and then the check engine light popped on. And as I would be sitting at the light the light would stay on but as I accelerated again, it would go off. So I got back to my dorm and I could not check the car out due to the lack of light. So I checked it out this morning. I check the oil, and it was full and all the other fluids were fine. So started the car up and it was like a ticking noise and I hit the gas slightly and the ticking got louder but then would eventually fade away. I drove the car around the block and the oil light never came on but the check engine light was on the whole time. The car seemed to be sluggish and lacking power. I did not try to give it to much gas, but it was not the same car I was driving last week.

Last weekend I did a full tune up on the car and it was riding GREAT!!! until last night. I need some help trying to figure out what the problem is and whether it can be fixed, or should I start looking for another ride??? Please Help. My # is 240-431-3310 Thanks.

csbuckn
04-01-13, 03:16 PM
Doesnt sound good. If you want to find out for sure, rent an oil pressure gauge and check the oil pressure. Oil light with a normal amount of oil usually means very thin oil or bad oil pump. When's the last time you changed the oil? Either way, I would change the oil just to make sure you do have the correct amount of oil in.

reelheavy
04-01-13, 03:28 PM
I changed to oil last Saturday.

jayoldschool
04-01-13, 03:40 PM
My old 87 Caprice with the 307 started to dimly illuminate the oil light when it was hot at idle in drive. I used to always think that it was the engine wearing as it got older, and the mains opening up in clearance... UNTIL one of the members here talked about the exact same issue, and how he resolved it simply by putting in a fresh oil pump. Give it a shot.

cadillac kevin
04-01-13, 03:47 PM
I'd guess the oil pump went out.

TopherS
04-02-13, 12:30 AM
I get a similar problem when my oil level goes low...which it appears you've checked. As I come off of a freeway offramp, my oil light will go on. That issue always goes away on my car with topping off or changing the oil. I've never gotten the check engine light, though.

Oddly enough, I had gotten my oil changed today and told my mechanic that I was having a similar problem as what you are experiencing...very, very heavy knocking and half-power under acceleration...but it was not consistent...seems to happen more after coming down from highway speeds...when back in in-town driving. The mechanic thought it could have something to do with the lock-up converter on my transmission. Not sure, though. But after the oil change, it went away???

Since your check engine light has come on, your car my have set some trouble codes. It's worth having them read to see what's been set.

Please post back with your findings...as I am having similar problems.

deVille33
04-02-13, 10:47 AM
Do a compression test of your engine. If your timing gear has shed it's teeth, they could be caught in and blocking your oil pick-up screen. Your poor running engine suggests there is more going on than a pump problem.

----------

Is it a ticking or a rap? A ticking suggests a lifter problem. A rap = a connecting rod bearing may have spun. Pull one plug wire at a time and run the car. If the noise goes away after you have pulled the plug on whatever cylinder, it is a spun connecting rod on that cylinder. You can run the car like that for awhile, just don't push it. If it is a ticking and it doesn't go away, it is a lifter tick. This means there is lifter failure or insufficient oil getting to the lifter.

reelheavy
04-03-13, 08:55 AM
Ok. So my first step should be to get the oil changed. Is there any specific oil I should use because I don't know how many times the mileage has rolled over. It may be 140k or 240k miles on the car. Which weight of oil should I use?

csbuckn
04-03-13, 09:09 AM
What oil did you use last saturday?

reelheavy
04-03-13, 09:29 AM
5w-30 penzoil high mileage

----------

I was told to use 20w-50. This time.

TopherS
04-03-13, 12:28 PM
My mechanic has moved my car to 30W, even though I've only got 77K miles on mine. I've got a couple small leaks, so he suggested that 30W would slow it down.

jayoldschool
04-03-13, 05:31 PM
30W will only increase start up wear. It will flow poorly at cold temperatures. It is the same viscosity hot as 5W30. It won't leak any less with 30W. Get some proper multi-viscosity oil back in there ASAP.

reelheavy
04-03-13, 06:10 PM
30W will only increase start up wear. It will flow poorly at cold temperatures. It is the same viscosity hot as 5W30. It won't leak any less with 30W. Get some proper multi-viscosity oil back in there ASAP.

What do you mean by multi-viscosity oil?

MoistCabbage
04-03-13, 06:13 PM
Oil that takes on the properties of different viscosity oils, depending on temperature. 5W-30, 10W-40...

reelheavy
04-03-13, 06:15 PM
Oil that takes on the properties of different viscosity oils, depending on temperature. 5W-30, 10W-40...

Oh ok. So what would you recommend?

MoistCabbage
04-03-13, 06:18 PM
Whatever your owners manual suggests for your climate. 10W-40?

cadillac_al
04-03-13, 08:10 PM
Can you even buy straight 30 weight any more? It seems I only see it in the lawnmower section. You might want to double check what was put in there. Try some name brand high mileage 10w30 or 10w40 and see if that helps. Also make sure it isn't just idling too low. The only time the oil light ever flickered on my 92 Deville was when I tried some Carquest 5w30. I went back to 10w30 and the oil light didn't flicker any more. Go figure huh?

reelheavy
04-05-13, 09:58 PM
The prognosis is in and it is a thrown rod. Me and my mechanic torn the car apart today and that is the problem. That 307 was good to me but now it is tome to really get the caddy the way I want it. I am looking for a 472 to go into the car and I am going to make it my project car. I guess its time to go get a car note. And slowly but surely put the car back together the way I want it. I appreciates all you guys help in trying to help me get the issue resolved you all were a great deal of help.