: Electrical problem with drivers window switch

tromans
04-01-13, 03:41 PM
I am having an issue with my 4 button, 2 switch front/2 switch rear, window controls. All other windows work but the switches on the drivers door don't. Thinking it was just bad switches I tested them with a multi meter and they all seem to be working. So now I'm thinking its an electrical issue. Like I said, all of the other windows work independently so I don't think it's the fuse. Maybe a relay??? Where would that relay be? If anyone can help I would appreciate it.

1980coupe
04-01-13, 07:06 PM
Get yourself another panel with the window switches and go from there. Its not the window motors thats for sure
because they do work at their respective door. Check the main wire that feeds the power to the main driverside
switch...

tromans
04-01-13, 08:01 PM
I am not getting any power through the wiring harness to the switch. It looks like the harness runs from the door to the fuse block. I thought there might be an in-line fuse but I'm not seeing one. I really hate to have to take her to the dealer and pay $105 per hour but I might not have much of a choice.

1980coupe
04-01-13, 09:13 PM
To which switch the main one on the driver side door. It could be that the wire can be pinched in the rubber boot
that is between the door and body. There is a window circuit breaker it is one the fuse panel and its a silver fuse
Also, up under the dash on both driver and passenger side are junction boxes which are white and feeds power from one side to another..

tromans
04-01-13, 09:38 PM
I did check the silver window fuse and it seems to be working. I will check to see if the wires are pinched in the boot. Question about the junction box...if they send power to both sides would that mean that if they were bad then the rear window on the driver side wouldn't work?

cadillac kevin
04-01-13, 10:10 PM
if they are pinched/ broken, you may not be able to tell (or it may be like my safari van where the wire casing was broken, and the wire was broken in half)
If you can figure out which wire is the main power wire, repalce it from inside the interior into the door.

1980coupe
04-02-13, 12:11 AM
I did check the silver window fuse and it seems to be working. I will check to see if the wires are pinched in the boot. Question about the junction box...if they send power to both sides would that mean that if they were bad then the rear window on the driver side wouldn't work? that could happen, it's possible the wire that feeds into or out of the junction box came loose. Or do it the mickey mouse way...run a jumper wire from where you do have power
and connect to the window you want up or down..my uncle did that to his datsun..
It wouldnt go down from the passenger side switch but did from the master switch on driver side, so he cut the wires
from the passenger and extended them to run across under the dash and to the master switch and touched them to
driver window switch so whenever he rolled the window down, both will go down and up from one switch. Need to do that
on my 78, passenger side is giving me issues

SafariOne
04-02-13, 12:18 AM
One thing that I have found in the past is ....if you have ever left the window down and it has rained the moisture will get into the switch area and cause oxidization. When you pull the switch out of the door you will see green buildup on the switch contacts and that is enough to stop the circuit from functioning. The switches will disassemble, clean up nicely, and with some dieelectric grease go back together and work fine again.
the door hinge area is another culprit of course. Another culprit is the grounds which become corroded.