: Ultraview Sunroof Problem - Brand New 2013 CTS-V Sedan - need advice, help

MIRINCTSV
04-01-13, 01:14 PM
hey guys, so i picked up my V this past wednesday and am generally happy with it

the main problem for me is the ultraview sunroof and the flimsy/transparent sunshade that comes with it - dont get me wrong, the roof looks beautiful, but i didnt realize how useless the sunshade is until i was able to drive the car for a few days

however - i have really fair skin and get sunburnt really easy - skin cancer is also very prevalent in my family

over the weekend i got the sunroof tinted with 5% ceramic film and this seems to help somwhat, but I still feel as if Im cooking under the sun (its a problem in LA)

so now I am considering the following options

1. vinyl wrap the entire roof including ultraview (not sure if this is even possible)
2. get custom interior upholstery - I was thinking black suede headliner inc. sunshade
3. trade in the car for something else

despite all of the great things the V has going for it, if I can't resolve this one issue Im afraid im going to have to get rid of it :(

any suggestions are welcome, thank you

sykb47l
04-01-13, 01:43 PM
If the shop used standard tint thats the problem. There are tints that block more heat that work great.

MIRINCTSV
04-01-13, 01:44 PM
nah it was huper optik ceramic film

DCV
04-01-13, 02:37 PM
well, have a shop just get some steel and weld it in, prime, paint...and your done.

Rule12b
04-01-13, 03:57 PM
well, have a shop just get some steel and weld it in, prime, paint...and your done. I used a single plate of carbon fiber. Probably not what he's looking for his DD though ;-)

MIRINCTSV
04-01-13, 06:14 PM
I used a single plate of carbon fiber. Probably not what he's looking for his DD though ;-)

actually, id be very interested in a CF piece - can you give me any more info or point me in the direction of a reputable vendor?

i called a couple of car wrapping spots and they seem like they can do the job - probably be another couple of weeks until i can get it done, meanwhile wearing a hat and longsleeves while driving (serious p.i.t.a.)

but I am a sucker for quality carbon fiber :)

RobF300
04-01-13, 06:29 PM
if your skin is that sensitive why did you get the roof??
maybe black vinyl wrap it

MIRINCTSV
04-01-13, 06:35 PM
if your skin is that sensitive why did you get the roof??
maybe black vinyl wrap it

-beacuse I didn't realize how thin/transparent the sunshade is until i actually drove it for a few days - ive owned cars with sunroofs before with no problem as Im interested primarily for resale value

-the plan is to try and vinyl wrap it - i read on some mini/bmw forums that guys in super hot and sunny climates are vinyl'ing their sunroofs as standard practice

-but you are right i shoulda known better, i initially wanted no sunroof but the sales guy convinced me :(

Rule12b
04-01-13, 06:41 PM
actually, id be very interested in a CF piece - can you give me any more info or point me in the direction of a reputable vendor?

i called a couple of car wrapping spots and they seem like they can do the job - probably be another couple of weeks until i can get it done, meanwhile wearing a hat and longsleeves while driving (serious p.i.t.a.)

but I am a sucker for quality carbon fiber :)

Oh man, my car is track only. It's a carbon fiber piece that's pop-rivetted in. I would never suggest it for a daily driver. Next to a roll cage (which I have too), it's probably the single irreversible leap across the great divide between road and track. I was just being silly for those who know my car. For what it's worth, it did shave about 100lbs off the the car, and from a high center of gravity point, but I'd never suggest it for a DD all the same since the appearance is, well, not exactly showroom stock. . .

MIRINCTSV
04-01-13, 06:52 PM
Oh man, my car is track only. It's a carbon fiber piece that's pop-rivetted in. I would never suggest it for a daily driver. Next to a roll cage (which I have too), it's probably the single irreversible leap across the great divide between road and track. I was just being silly for those who know my car. For what it's worth, it did shave about 100lbs off the the car, and from a high center of gravity point, but I'd never suggest it for a DD all the same since the appearance is, well, not exactly showroom stock. . .

for sure, my last two cars were an e46 m3 and a e92 m3 w/cf roof - so you are definietly speaking my language! :) but I know what you are talking about after looking into cf roof conversions for my e46 m3

thx again!

Rule12b
04-01-13, 08:21 PM
for sure, my last two cars were an e46 m3 and a e92 m3 w/cf roof - so you are definietly speaking my language! :) but I know what you are talking about after looking into cf roof conversions for my e46 m3

thx again!
Welcome to the V, I made the same progression you did out of the M's. Enjoy!

ptrd
04-01-13, 10:10 PM
Man this is the best sunroof cover so far I've had in the past two cars I've owned.

Mini Cooper S (shade is pretty much non-existent)

Z3 M Coupe (there is no shade)

Karch
04-02-13, 12:03 PM
Not that this is going to help the OP, but I drove a few V's before finally being able to close a deal and take delivery.

I missed out on the first one by 18 hours, it didn't have a roof, and the next one was a few weeks later, with a roof.

I wound up not buying that one, but what I did realize is that I didn't want a roof, absolutely. Not because I have fair skin, but being that I too am in L.A., I just don't want the sun beating down on me all day in the car. When I want sun, I go golfing, hiking, and now playing softball.

If there's any consolation, they are very hard to find without a roof if you are picky about colors and options. I am very picky, so it took me awhile.

Random84
04-02-13, 01:13 PM
Seems like an opaque black vinyl wrap on the inside of the sunroof would be discrete, low cost and block out virtually all of the light - problem solved.

Smokin80
04-03-13, 02:35 PM
I also tinted my roof darker.

But in your case I would for sure just vinyl wrap it. Depending on the color of your car you could do it on the inside or outside. Pretty easy to double it up to if a bit of light bleeds through the vinyl.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 09:44 AM
I would remove the screen and replace it with a less transparent material...