: Plasti-Dip?

ffamousamos
03-31-13, 09:39 PM
Has anyone "Plast-Dipped" thier ATS? I have a raven black 2.0 Performance model and I think there's to much chrome on it. Thinking about coating the wheels, window trim and grill. Any thoughts or experiences? Thanks

bungee91
03-31-13, 10:35 PM
I was considering doing the grill and window trim but haven't gotten to it yet (weather mainly).
However I think instead of doing the grill, I'm planning on just purchasing the black chrome grill that Cadillac offers. I'm thinking it may look better anyhow.

Y2tony3
03-31-13, 11:28 PM
I am going to paint my chrome moldings and grill black. Definitely makes the car look more aggressive if thats the look your going for. Thinking of the mesh grill but the factory one looks good too so I'm going to see how it looks painted first before I spend 700 on a grill.

I will be painting and customizing my ATS to the fullest but not until I have a drop kit for it, which no company has made yet!! I don't like leaving things half done. The wait is killing me!!!

RxATS
04-01-13, 01:47 AM
A guy on instagram posted pics of his ATS w/ black rims and grill he did using plast-dip. If you have instagram, search for the user name "henschel760"

Nscala18
03-14-14, 08:28 PM
I recently picked up the 2014 Cadillac ATS in phantom gray. I was wondering what people think about plasti dipping the wheels black and how it would look. I haven't seen a picture of the car with it but I just wanted to get peoples take on it

Thank you

Groomie
03-15-14, 12:17 AM
Plasti dip was great for me. Now I am having it all powder coated. Black raven performance.

Groomie
03-15-14, 12:18 AM
Plasti dip was great for me. Now I am having it all powder coated. Black raven performance.

Groomie
03-15-14, 12:19 AM
Here's another. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Nscala18
03-15-14, 12:40 AM
How do you think it would look with phantom gray car paint with the plasti dipped wheels?

Groomie
03-15-14, 12:46 AM
Think it would look good. The great thing about it is if you don't like it, just peel her back off.
That is what I just did and the good ole ats is going in next thursday for some powder coating.

Nscala18
03-15-14, 11:01 AM
Exactly, Thats what i figured. I just wanted to see what other people thought. Thank you

M5eater
03-15-14, 11:03 AM
Thoughts?

I wouldn't do anything unless you're completely removing the part.

Plastidip, like actual paint, gets everywhere you haven't masked off within a 10' radius.

In terms of removal, that greatly depends on your application method and layers, too thin and you'll need a pressure washer and a few hours to take anything off.

I can't believe that some people acutally do their whole car with the stuff, it must get int every single little Orpheus that they'll never be able to remove.

That said I've used it with great sucess, the C4's wheels are going on a almost a year of the stuff on my chrome rims and it hasn't peeled yet (granted I've driven it < 5K miles probably)

Nscala18
03-15-14, 11:04 AM
193737 Thats the color of it with the regular polished wheels.

Nscala18
03-15-14, 11:06 AM
I havent done anything to my car yet. If I do plasti dip it, I am only doing the rims

carpenter
03-15-14, 01:20 PM
Think it would look good. The great thing about it is if you don't like it, just peel her back off.
That is what I just did and the good ole ats is going in next thursday for some powder coating.

Are they able to take the window trim pieces off? (assuming you are getting the window trim done) I checked with my dealer and they felt like it could be a problem taking off the trim pieces in that they were just stuck on and could easily bend trying to remove them. Mine goes in in 2 weeks for them to paint the trim, door handles, grill and lower DRL horizontal bar. They are just painting the handles and trim while on the car.

Groomie
03-15-14, 01:37 PM
Your right about the whole car thing. Would be a mess. I did the front grill while taping up the shutters. The emblems, rear fascia, door handles, window trim and wheels. Looked great as I had it on for about a month or so. Lasted great, looked great and all came off pretty easily in about 2 hours.

bk6539
03-26-14, 04:18 PM
I did mine about a month ago. Posted in ATS section. Plasti-dipped 2 chrome strips in front, 1 chrome strip on rear, window trim,and wheels (left center cap as is).I will be getting black license plate covers soon as well. 197001197009197017197025197033

deedle
03-26-14, 05:20 PM
how difficult was the window trim? did you leave a space along the top and bottom then place it right up next to the trim on the actual window portion where it rolls down? I've already done the door handles...they are super easy to remove and do off the car.

KoomsATS
03-26-14, 07:19 PM
Thoughts? I wouldn't do anything unless you're completely removing the part. Plastidip, like actual paint, gets everywhere you haven't masked off within a 10' radius. In terms of removal, that greatly depends on your application method and layers, too thin and you'll need a pressure washer and a few hours to take anything off. I can't believe that some people acutally do their whole car with the stuff, it must get int every single little Orpheus that they'll never be able to remove. That said I've used it with great sucess, the C4's wheels are going on a almost a year of the stuff on my chrome rims and it hasn't peeled yet (granted I've driven it < 5K miles probably)

Buy a Honda!

MikeJCx9
04-21-14, 05:10 PM
Thoughts?

I wouldn't do anything unless you're completely removing the part.

Plastidip, like actual paint, gets everywhere you haven't masked off within a 10' radius.

In terms of removal, that greatly depends on your application method and layers, too thin and you'll need a pressure washer and a few hours to take anything off.

I can't believe that some people acutally do their whole car with the stuff, it must get int every single little Orpheus that they'll never be able to remove.

That said I've used it with great sucess, the C4's wheels are going on a almost a year of the stuff on my chrome rims and it hasn't peeled yet (granted I've driven it < 5K miles probably)
I'd have to agree. I would NEVER do my car with Plasti-Dip. I'd only do parts indoors with EVERYTHING covered/masked off or completely removed/off the car.

Personally, IMO I like certain things blacked out, but when it's too much it definitely screams excessiviness especially on such a high standard luxury brand full and rich in history, which is known for class and elegance. To cover each and everything single piece of trim up with some cheap ass can of flat rubber paint is insane to me and only makes it look exactly that "cheap" like unfinished moldings/trim on economy cars.

Ehhhh...to each their own is right I guess.

On another note, you got rid of your V M5eater?! I loved that Opulent Blue man...and it's "orifice" lol!!! :hide:

Jerzeyboy730
04-21-14, 11:20 PM
I only did my grill bezel, reason being the black chrome Crome GM was to subtle, and it would be to many different shades of chrome, brushed, and black chrome.
Other reason, it's durable, even if you get a piece of chrome painted at a body shop, it's has a better chance of chipping on highway, as plasti-coat (dip) is pretty durable.http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f20/jerzeyboy730/Mobile%20Uploads/photo1.jpg