Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Masking tire to paint the rim without taking tire off the rim

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  danoh123 
#1 ·
If you are lazy like me and want to paint the damaged rim or want to paint black like many of you here is a possible solution. Use the index cards, cut slight curve to the long side, fit them in between the rim and tire, and tape them together .... learned it hard way. 1) sand, 2) clean, 3) prime, 4) sand, 5) clean, and paint. Land vehicle Alloy wheel Wheel Vehicle Tire

See less See more
#2 ·
If you think that's lazy wait 'til you here my technique. I out half-a** tape all around the tire and got a flat head screw driver and just tucked in all the tape around the tire and rim. Took me a good 2 mins per tier. LMAO! Should seen the look on my friends faces who sat there and watched me do that.. o_O
Btw, I like your idea, and I can see how it would work, amazingly. But, it you ever need to re-do anything, be sure to give my tech a try. It's super fast and works fabulously. Tape and tuck method.
All you need: Tape, Screwdriver, and 10 mins.
Props to you though, man! Creative, that's forsure.

#3 ·
First time around I used masking tape, but only 1/2" wide one ... since that's all I had in the house at the time ... I had to cut the tape 4 to 5 inches long and then go around the curvature of the tire rim. I then had to go around once more since to cover more area of tire since I used 1/2" tape. For me that took quite a long time. Love to know how you did it exactly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.