: Steering Wheel Shaking - Service Stablity Light

serprider
03-31-13, 01:47 PM
About a year ago my service stability light started coming on during the ABS check when starting to drive (I think its around 5-10 mph). It was a intermittent problem and only happened in the cold. Well now that it is spring it started doing it every time I drive the truck. Over the last week I have noticed the steering wheel start shaking really bad moreso when I veer to one side then the other. I have done alot of research and found out it could be one of few things, wheel bearings, a pressure switch, abs system or an abs sensor. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the wheel shaking like crazy and the stability light?

Thanks!

The stability code is : C0281

the cadillac man
03-31-13, 02:54 PM
About a year ago my service stability light started coming on during the ABS check when starting to drive (I think its around 5-10 mph). It was a intermittent problem and only happened in the cold. Well now that it is spring it started doing it every time I drive the truck. Over the last week I have noticed the steering wheel start shaking really bad moreso when I veer to one side then the other. I have done alot of research and found out it could be one of few things, wheel bearings, a pressure switch, abs system or an abs sensor. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem with the wheel shaking like crazy and the stability light?

Thanks!

The stability code is : C0281

Try turning the stability system off to see if the shaking goes away as the code is a abs code

Here is the code description

DTC C0281
Circuit Description
The stop lamp switch signal informs the electronic brake control module (EBCM) when the brake pedal is pressed.

Conditions for Running the DTC
Either of the following conditions will cause the DTC to run:

The ignition is ON and the vehicle achieves at least 56 km/h (35 mph) before coming to a stop.
The ignition is ON and the vehicle experiences an antilock brake system (ABS) event lasting at least 1 second.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
The EBCM detects an open or shorted brake switch or brake switch circuit.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The EBCM disables the VSES.
The message center displays the SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM message.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC
The conditions for setting the DTC are no longer present and you use the scan tool Clear DTCs function.

Diagnostic Aids
Thoroughly inspect connections or circuitry that may cause an intermittent malfunction.

I hope this helps

serprider
03-31-13, 06:49 PM
How do you disable stability system? As of right now the traction control or whatever light wont come on.

the cadillac man
03-31-13, 08:12 PM
How do you disable stability system? As of right now the traction control or whatever light wont come on.

The little button with the car with lines behind it is for the stability system

serprider
04-01-13, 06:00 PM
I tried pushing it and as of now it does nothing. It used to flash something on the notification panel.

the cadillac man
04-01-13, 06:33 PM
I tried pushing it and as of now it does nothing. It used to flash something on the notification panel.

That shuts the system off till next restart