: 78 Sedan Deville questions - Rear filler, vinyl top and headlliner availability

prostock
03-31-13, 10:37 AM
I came across a very inexpensive 78 deville that has the rear fillers cracking, no headliner and needs a vinyl top. Are these items still available and if so, what's the best source?

cadillac kevin
03-31-13, 10:48 AM
I came across a very inexpensive 78 deville that has the rear fillers cracking, no headliner and needs a vinyl top. Are these items still available and if so, what's the best source?

Vinyl top and headliner are still available. Ask a local auto top/ upholstery shop for pricing. Fillers are available reproduction.

prostock
03-31-13, 11:04 AM
Who is reproducing the fillers?

----------

I found some on ebay.

cadillac kevin
03-31-13, 11:26 AM
Make sure the top is still solid under the roof. If theres alot of rust under it, you could be in for a few hundred (minimum) in body work before the new top can be installed.

prostock
03-31-13, 12:16 PM
I don't think the top is bad enough for rust issues. The car still wears its original paint.

talismandave
03-31-13, 12:39 PM
Hard to tell from a long shot like that, but looks pretty good. How inexpensive would be the next question?

prostock
03-31-13, 12:45 PM
Less than a grand, but it has a salvage title. Supposed to run and drive well.

talismandave
03-31-13, 12:53 PM
If true and no signs of bubbling around the top and under the damaged areas of the top, sounds like a cheap fun driver for the money. You might even be able to get away with a vinyl repair kit to fix the top if not too bad. I had one years ago that I repaired with a paintable silicone caulk, and a repaint with vinyl paint. Came out passable for "driver" car. Salvage title will kill resale, but won't prevent you from enjoying the heck out of it!

prostock
03-31-13, 12:57 PM
I don't know if even it having an "R" title will kill resale. What difference does it really make on a car this old if it wasn't totaled due to crash damage? If this one truly is original paint, it definitely hasn't been crashed hard. I hope to go see it next weekend.

amunderdog
03-31-13, 01:33 PM
Have you noticed they are not making parking spaces the way they once did?
http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5026259455640573&pid=1.7
http://www.timhaahs.com/images/uploads/pdb_1a.jpg

Nice looking Deville
I would want to investigate the salvage title portion of the vehicle very closely.

Benzilla
03-31-13, 03:10 PM
Nice Sedan DeVille! Looks to be color #74 Mulberry. Is the cardboard headliner board itself missing, or just the fabric? As mentioned, you can easily get ABS plastic reproductions for the bumper fillers for a few hundred. You can get great reproduction fabric for the headliner & vinyl top from SMS Auto Fabrics, it should be identical to original. They sell pre-stitched vinyl top kits that just have to be glued on, basically. (not as easy as it sounds, but much better than buying material by the foot & trying to copy it yourself).

You need to know why it was given a salvaged title, and find out as much as you can about the problem! Go to this site, and type in your VIN. It should tell you about any total loss records, and their date as well as what caused it. It picked up on my Phaeton's freshwater flood record from Feb 2nd, 1998; should work for you too! https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

I'll be interested to see what you discover!
-Ben

prostock
03-31-13, 05:57 PM
Nice Sedan DeVille! Looks to be color #74 Mulberry. Is the cardboard headliner board itself missing, or just the fabric? As mentioned, you can easily get ABS plastic reproductions for the bumper fillers for a few hundred. You can get great reproduction fabric for the headliner & vinyl top from SMS Auto Fabrics, it should be identical to original. They sell pre-stitched vinyl top kits that just have to be glued on, basically. (not as easy as it sounds, but much better than buying material by the foot & trying to copy it yourself).

You need to know why it was given a salvaged title, and find out as much as you can about the problem! Go to this site, and type in your VIN. It should tell you about any total loss records, and their date as well as what caused it. It picked up on my Phaeton's freshwater flood record from Feb 2nd, 1998; should work for you too! https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

I'll be interested to see what you discover!
-Ben

Thanks for the info. Salvage titles don't scare me. I've fixed many and got R titles for them.

cadillac_al
03-31-13, 07:47 PM
I doubt if the salvage title is that big a deal now. Every state has a way of dealing with these old cars and almost no state will issue a title for a car this old anyway. If I bought a nice old car with title, my state wouldn't issue me a new title in my name anyway. I think most states are getting that way now. The car looks nice though and I always like those colored hubcaps.

talismandave
03-31-13, 08:31 PM
I guess if you are lucky enough to live in a bill of sale state it might not make a difference. I had no idea WI was one of only a few states that require a title. :noidea: (I will defer to people who buy and sell nationwide on that one.)

I do know that getting a title for my car here was difficult and costly because it came only with a bill of sale. I would not even consider a car with a salvage title. I would not want to go through having to have a car of that age inspected by the DOT just to get a title.

If WI is one of only a couple of states that still title old cars though, that shouldn't affect your pool of potential buyers. Sorry to give you bad info. I guess I shouldn't assume that the way they do it where I live is the same as where others live!:canttalk:

prostock
03-31-13, 08:55 PM
I doubt if the salvage title is that big a deal now. Every state has a way of dealing with these old cars and almost no state will issue a title for a car this old anyway. If I bought a nice old car with title, my state wouldn't issue me a new title in my name anyway. I think most states are getting that way now. The car looks nice though and I always like those colored hubcaps.

PA issues titles for everything. A salvage CERTIFICATE here needs to have a PA enhanced inspection done at a garage licensed to do so. Then it is issued a RECONSTRUCTED or R title. I just did a 2002 deville last week. If there is no title you'd have a rough time in PA.

----------

I guess if you are lucky enough to live in a bill of sale state it might not make a difference. I had no idea WI was one of only a few states that require a title. :noidea: (I will defer to people who buy and sell nationwide on that one.)

I do know that getting a title for my car here was difficult and costly because it came only with a bill of sale. I would not even consider a car with a salvage title. I would not want to go through having to have a car of that age inspected by the DOT just to get a title.

If WI is one of only a couple of states that still title old cars though, that shouldn't affect your pool of potential buyers. Sorry to give you bad info. I guess I shouldn't assume that the way they do it where I live is the same as where others live!:canttalk:

The car has a salvage certificate to prove ownership. See my earlier post on what needs done to get a R title to put it back on the road.

talismandave
03-31-13, 09:40 PM
:thumbsup: Cool. You know what your doing and your local market. Have fun and let us know how it goes.

prostock
03-31-13, 09:46 PM
Its surprising he's had this car for sale for a while. Its about 90 minutes from where I live, but I think next weekend I'll take a look.

Benzilla
03-31-13, 11:51 PM
Just for the sake of knowing what might be lurking in the car, I'd run the vin just to see why it was salvaged in the first place. It could be hiding behind very convincing body work, that if done years ago would have faded with the original paint by now. If it was a flood car, there's a lot to check & make sure it was treated properly afterwords. Why not find out if it was stolen while you're at it? It's free to check, and good to know! :)

I had a hell of a time getting a California salvage title to transfer when I tried in Tennessee. Barely got through with a loophole. It's a long ridiculous story. Really hope your state is smarter about it!

-Ben

Vitaqueen
04-01-13, 04:04 AM
This brings back memories of my 78. It was the first Cadillac I ever got. I wish I still had it. I hope you purchase the vehicle. You will love it my friend.

prostock
04-01-13, 07:42 AM
Just for the sake of knowing what might be lurking in the car, I'd run the vin just to see why it was salvaged in the first place. It could be hiding behind very convincing body work, that if done years ago would have faded with the original paint by now. If it was a flood car, there's a lot to check & make sure it was treated properly afterwords. Why not find out if it was stolen while you're at it? It's free to check, and good to know! :)

I had a hell of a time getting a California salvage title to transfer when I tried in Tennessee. Barely got through with a loophole. It's a long ridiculous story. Really hope your state is smarter about it!

-Ben

I've converted numerous salvage certificates to R titles. I know the process and it doesn't bother me.

Benzilla
04-01-13, 11:50 AM
Ok, so why was it given that title? You want advice, find out what happened to that car.

prostock
04-01-13, 12:16 PM
I plan to when I look at it. The advice I was asking for was locating parts.