: Doing my own mods...need experience based input!

thegraham77
03-31-13, 06:01 AM
I'm planning on installing some mods and I could use some advice from anyone who has also installed the same mods by themselves. I have a 2.55 upper pulley, new belt and ID850 injectors to put in...and a tune when I get all those installed.
Has anybody put these mods on their cars by themselves? If so, how simple/difficult is it? Any tricks that may make my life easier when installing them? I watched a video on how to change the pulley...I'd like to think I'm fairly mechanically inclined so it didn't look TOO hard. When changing the injectors does the fuel system/lines need to be de-pressurized?

Any tips or tricks, things that worked or didn't work for you would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

Stillborn
03-31-13, 01:32 PM
you wont need those injectors with just a 2.5 upper. at this stage (12-13psi) they're (id850's) counterproductive. get a cai and a catch can in the meantime. if you go with headers and or a lower pulley the injectors will come in handy. if you've never "pressed" anything before i would suggest leaving it to those who have. good luck. if i was in your shoes i might switch pulleys out for the 2.3 then you can use your injectors. also you may want the 100mm hd idler pulley.

if you want to take off the snout and get a shop to switch out pulleys that might be your best bet money wise. if you mess it up(a few here have) it's going to cost you triple.

thegraham77
03-31-13, 03:38 PM
I've already got a CAI and cat back exhaust...forgot that part on my original post.

Thunder V
03-31-13, 11:41 PM
How would ID 850 be counter productive? With proper tune, how would that be possible? I am new on here with the Vs, but don't see how that is possible with PROPER tune. I agree at that level they may not be needed, but don't see how they can hurt.

Stillborn
04-01-13, 01:55 AM
How would ID 850 be counter productive? With proper tune, how would that be possible? I am new on here with the Vs, but don't see how that is possible with PROPER tune. I agree at that level they may not be needed, but don't see how they can hurt.

there is a long debate in which this discussion was had already, only now it's in reverse. if injectors were a one size fits all
then it would be so. it's not... and in order to work synergistically all things should be optimal. i'm not saying you cant, it's
just i wouldn't. like i said, i would exchange that 2.5 for a 2.3 and use those $800+ id850's and be done with it. then all he'll
need is to upgrade his cooling capacity, but it's not high stakes if he's not tracking it anytime soon...for the street it will be fine.

Thunder V
04-01-13, 09:39 PM
there is a long debate in which this discussion was had already, only now it's in reverse. if injectors were a one size fits all
then it would be so. it's not... and in order to work synergistically all things should be optimal. i'm not saying you cant, it's
just i wouldn't. like i said, i would exchange that 2.5 for a 2.3 and use those $800+ id850's and be done with it. then all he'll
need is to upgrade his cooling capacity, but it's not high stakes if he's not tracking it anytime soon...for the street it will be fine.

I do agree they are bigger than needed, but i thought, with IDs having all the necessary numbers available for tunning that it would be fine. I would rather have too much injector as opposed to not enough. I wouldnt think these injectors would hurt performance at this level, and would still have reserve for future mods.

topend22
04-02-13, 11:23 AM
you wont need those injectors with just a 2.5 upper. at this stage (12-13psi) they're (id850's) counterproductive. get a cai and a catch can in the meantime. if you go with headers and or a lower pulley the injectors will come in handy. if you've never "pressed" anything before i would suggest leaving it to those who have. good luck. if i was in your shoes i might switch pulleys out for the 2.3 then you can use your injectors. also you may want the 100mm hd idler pulley.

if you want to take off the snout and get a shop to switch out pulleys that might be your best bet money wise. if you mess it up(a few here have) it's going to cost you triple. what he said. Do the 2.3 pulley, I have it and love it. But you will need the injectors with the 2.3

Betiwin
04-02-13, 11:45 AM
Mike do you have an aux idler with your 2.3?

topend22
04-02-13, 11:50 AM
Mike do you have an aux idler with your 2.3?. No, I do not, you don't need it with the 2.3. The belt wraps 3/4 around the pulley it is so small. I have zero belt slip.

kwilson
04-02-13, 07:03 PM
I have a set of LPE 63lbs injectors that were used for about two weeks (1,000 miles +/-) prior to installing ID's that I'll let go of for $350 if your interested

V locity
04-04-13, 10:33 PM
You'll be just fine with the 850s. Then you'll have room for improvement

Smokin80
04-04-13, 11:21 PM
ok...so im thinking of doing the 2.3 with 850's.......

I have the diablosport intune. Can i use the canned pulley tune and just adjust the injector slope to run the 850's? If yes can someone give me a starting point for percentage on the slope? Then i can do some logs at cruise to get it dialed in. I plan on getting a custom dyno tune but im looking to use the diablosport tune as a stepping stone. I hope this is on topic. Dont mean to step on the op's toes.

If i cannot adjust the canned tune easily for the 850's ill likely just skip injectors for now and go with the 2.55 pulley.

Thanks for the input!

V locity
04-04-13, 11:27 PM
The 850s come with all the tune info for the injector tables :)

Smokin80
04-05-13, 12:31 AM
Ok so I assume that means I can adjust for them on the intune without a dyno tune?

V locity
04-05-13, 08:14 AM
You'll still need a tune... It's just the injector tables will be complete already.