: Snazzy new Impala ad suggests "high class" rather than "full size rental class"

Jesda
03-30-13, 10:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-bRSJ-dtN6g

Stingroo
03-30-13, 10:55 PM
It's a damn nice car, too. Saw one at the Jacksonville auto show. Sat in it, played extensively. Very VERY roomy.

orconn
03-30-13, 11:28 PM
Glad to see formal wear back in fashion!

talismandave
03-30-13, 11:42 PM
Great ad. :thumbsup:

Looks like at least one GM division is courting luxury car buyer looking for class.

I guess they figure if Cadillac is going after Pontiac's abandoned performance buyers, they might as well go Cadillac's abandoned luxury buyers!

All that's left is for Buick to come out after family/economy buyer's and we have the whole GM line-up again....sort of?:hmm:

drewsdeville
03-31-13, 12:06 AM
Don't know about the ad, but the car still feels rental class to me, only updated to 6 years behind the times rather than 10 like before (along with most GM offerings at the show this year) :bigroll:

ben.gators
03-31-13, 01:33 AM
I absolutely love..... the music, Frank Sinatra, and the classic ad!

Besides the music, I like the car as a gutsy family sedan! Impala can not be a luxury sedan, and it can not attract the attention of luxury buyers, even by advertising it by legendary Sinatra, classic satire, and old school hair styles! I saw the Impala in Hawaii's auto show last weekend, and I liked it as a clean and classy family sedan, but nothing more! Also it seemed to me that the new Impala looks like to Ford five hundred!

77CDV
03-31-13, 01:35 AM
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/65chev/bilder/3.jpg

And eveything old is new again. Nice to see GM getting it's money's worth out of the XTS's platform.

ben.gators
03-31-13, 01:39 AM
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/chevy/65chev/bilder/3.jpg

And eveything old is new again. Nice to see GM getting it's money's worth out of the XTS's platform.

I am happy to hear that and totally looking forward for it! Wearing shorts and flip flops when going on a date, seriously?!

Jesda
03-31-13, 01:41 AM
Also it seemed to me that the new Impala looks like to Ford five hundred!

I put 4500 miles on a Ford Five Hundred this year (just sold it today!) and can't see a whole lot between them, in terms of style, that's similar. The Ford takes after VW/Audi's traditional arch-shaped roof, outwardly curved sides, and geometrically simple lamps. The Impala, though equally tall, comes across as longer and more athletic thanks to sharply-carved horizontal lines and the greenhouse kinks up at the rear. I think the designers did a great job of making a too-tall car look long and sleek.

ben.gators
03-31-13, 02:37 AM
Although the body and roof lines are different, they both are chunky and tall cars. That is why the new Impala reminded me of the five hundred.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-31-13, 08:32 AM
That's a good ad! It really reminds me of what an Impala WAS back in the early '60s. A classy, somewhat formal, although not too formal (expensive) sedan for middle class America.

orconn
03-31-13, 05:56 PM
A trip to the Mall is all it takes to get a good idea of where "middle class" American taste has gone! But kudos to the Chevrolet Division for attempting to put the middle class back on the road to a higher level of style and personal self esteem.

gdwriter
04-01-13, 12:40 AM
I like both the ad and the car. I wouldn't kick one out of my garage. This is probably the best Impala since the 60s classics like Betty.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-13, 07:22 AM
Moreso than the 1994-96 Impala SS?

CTSCHICK
04-01-13, 02:48 PM
Even though I would never buy one it looks a lot nicer than that last version
I hope it does well with sales so Gm can make other cars that I might buy

CadillacLuke24
04-01-13, 06:12 PM
Even though I would never buy one it looks a lot nicer than that last version
I hope it does well with sales so Gm can make other cars that I might buy

Yeah, like the SS :sneaky:

Jesda
04-01-13, 07:54 PM
Moreso than the 1994-96 Impala SS?

Tough call. Saw a purple one on the road yesterday and thought it looked mean for a 90s sedan.

This one has more class.

vincentm
04-01-13, 09:49 PM
Looks like every other indistinguishable vehicle out there nowadays

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-01-13, 11:01 PM
Tough call. Saw a purple one on the road yesterday and thought it looked mean for a 90s sedan.

This one has more class.

It is a much better built, classier, more luxurious sedan than the '90s model, but the '90s model is still my favorite, because of what it was.

Although, in all honesty, the '90s model is different from the other Impalas because it was a specialty low production muscle sedan, not a mass production family sedan like all the Impalas (aside from the SS) before and after.

MoistCabbage
04-02-13, 01:25 AM
Looks like every other indistinguishable vehicle out there nowadays^^This^^.

What classifies it as classy, or a classic? Unless the well dressed couple hang out with you while you're driving around, or Sinatra is playing constantly through an external speaker, I just don't see it.

It looks modern, maybe even aggressive, but classy? What am I missing?

Jesda
04-02-13, 02:16 AM
It looks modern, maybe even aggressive, but classy? What am I missing?

It's a large, long car with a luxurious interior. What else is required?

MoistCabbage
04-02-13, 02:49 AM
So is a Citroen XM, but I'd hardly call that classy.

Jesda
04-02-13, 03:02 AM
So is a Citroen XM, but I'd hardly call that classy.

It is in a quirky sort of way.

orconn
04-02-13, 01:14 PM
Americans ain't got no taste!

Hoosier Daddy
04-02-13, 02:42 PM
You just didn't use the right seasoning. ;)

RippyPartsDept
04-02-13, 04:05 PM
Nice to see GM getting it's money's worth out of the XTS's platform.

don't you mean the Saab 9-5 platform?

vincentm
04-02-13, 04:07 PM

Had taste, i don't know wtf happened

77CDV
04-02-13, 06:05 PM
don't you mean the Saab 9-5 platform?

Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. :lol:

CadillacLuke24
04-02-13, 07:07 PM
Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to. :lol:

To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to :D

Black Beauty DTS
04-03-13, 06:58 AM
Good commercial for a nice car. IMO, this Impala has way more style than the previous two versions did.

77CDV
04-03-13, 04:59 PM
To-MAY-to, To-MAH-to :D

Let's call the whole thing off! :p

mhamilton
04-03-13, 07:31 PM
I like the commercial, have to see the car in person, but glad to see Chevy making a good comeback.

One gripe, is it just me or does the commercial just seem a little "goofy" because the guy is wearing an evening jacket and bowtie to play golf? To me it looks more like poking fun than evoking classy. Maybe nobody else will notice. I think it would have been better had the producers taken a more serious note. I mean really, they didn't have to look much further than Mad Men to see a stylish '60s wardrobe.

orconn
04-03-13, 08:10 PM
Probably that the producers and their supervisors at GM didn't know aht a tuxedo was for!

Jesda
05-27-13, 04:34 PM
So far, sales are brisk:
http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130523/AUTO0103/305230053#ixzz2UD2HThVm

Perry also said Chevy can hardly keep its all-new 2014 Chevrolet Impala full-size sedan on dealer lots. The vehicle is turning in just seven days, which is the fastest of any Chevy, he said.

“Right now, the sales rate is fantastic,” Perry said.

Hopefully for Chevrolet they can keep the momentum going after the initial launch.

gothicaleigh
05-30-13, 09:53 AM
I like the commercial, have to see the car in person, but glad to see Chevy making a good comeback.

One gripe, is it just me or does the commercial just seem a little "goofy" because the guy is wearing an evening jacket and bowtie to play golf? To me it looks more like poking fun than evoking classy. Maybe nobody else will notice. I think it would have been better had the producers taken a more serious note. I mean really, they didn't have to look much further than Mad Men to see a stylish '60s wardrobe.

The ad agency probably thought GM wanted something comical when the request to "present the Chevrolet Impala as a classy car" was given to them. Seems like a waste of a good Sinatra song to me. Aside from the smaller Cadillacs and the Vette, GM feels pretty "meh" lately.

Aztec ETC ECS
05-30-13, 10:06 AM
I want my own Drive-in!

RippyPartsDept
05-30-13, 10:12 AM
I want my own Drive-in!

it doesn't take much these days

http://gizmodo.com/170676/mobmov-diy-mobile-drive+in-theater
(http://gizmodo.com/170676/mobmov-diy-mobile-drive+in-theater)
http://mobmov.org/manifesto/

93DevilleUSMC
05-30-13, 01:49 PM
Finally, we get an Impala deserving of the name!

vincentm
05-30-13, 03:35 PM

Finally? Excuse me?

cadillac kevin
05-30-13, 03:38 PM

Yeah....if you ignore everything up to 1996.

orconn
05-30-13, 04:26 PM
The Impala's styling improved shortly after the 1959!

Chevy Impalas delivered a lot of value for the money. I hope this new generation does the same!

93DevilleUSMC
05-31-13, 02:21 PM
I ignore everything between 1972 and 2012, with the exception of the `94-96 SS.

----------

Vincent...lol, you are excused.

drewsdeville
05-31-13, 02:39 PM
Yeah....if you ignore everything up to 1985. Fixed

vincentm
05-31-13, 04:18 PM
The Impala's styling improved shortly after the 1959!

Chevy Impalas delivered a lot of value for the money. I hope this new generation does the same!

Not a big fan of the 61 and 62's. 65 now is beautiful. The rear tail lights are down right sexy. I'd love 78 impala coupe with the rear bubble glass

Aztec ETC ECS
06-01-13, 01:50 PM
I ignore everything between 1972 and 2012, with the exception of the `94-96 SS.[COLOR="Silver"]
What's wrong with the early to mid '70's

http://www.trainweb.org/indcentral/Car%20Page2_files/image003.jpg

I know it's not the most exciting style but not close to the worst either. Great riding, too.
Available w/small block 400.

Hoosier Daddy
06-01-13, 02:46 PM
Make up your mind. First you praise them for a great ride, then vilify them by mentioning the horrible siamesed cylinder 400 small block.

What's wrong with the early to mid '70's

http://www.trainweb.org/indcentral/Car%20Page2_files/image003.jpg

I know it's not the most exciting style but not close to the worst either. Great riding, too.
Available w/small block 400.

Aztec ETC ECS
06-01-13, 04:51 PM
Make up your mind. First you praise them for a great ride, then vilify them by mentioning the horrible siamesed cylinder 400 small block.
I actually never owned a Chevy. I'm an Olds guy when it comes to cars like that. But back in their day, I've seen many 400 SBC's live as long as they weren't beaten to death.
350 was most popular but I've also seen a few with a BBC 402 sporting the 400 badges. Better?

MoistCabbage
06-01-13, 07:54 PM
Took a trip to the Chevy dealer today to look at one. They had 2, an LS (which has no actual trim level badging), and an LT, both black.

It's a much better looking car in person. The silhouette/roofline/proportions are pretty similar to the XTS, but the Impala is far better looking IMHO. I like the satin finish "chrome" trim, both inside and out. I like the shapes and contours of the interior and particularly the dash, the stitching on the dash and door panels. One odd thing. The LS had hubcaps, but the steel rims are not visible behind them, they're the same shape as the design of the hubcaps.

Got home, and Car And Driver was on my doorstep. It took 2'nd place in a comparison with the Azera, Cadenza, 300, Charger, and Avalon (which won... Eww).

Nice car, I'd drive one.

RippyPartsDept
06-01-13, 08:34 PM
GM and other oems (dodge comes to mind) have been doing the hidden steel wheel trick for a while now. 5yrs at least.

MoistCabbage
06-01-13, 09:01 PM
I always assumed the fleet Charger rims are what's under the base Chargers hubcaps, but the Impala has some really thin sections of spoke. The steel rim must look pretty odd to fit those hubcaps so precisely.