: Need some wiring help 91' Brougham

codewize
03-30-13, 08:29 PM
I have a 91 Brougham and the lights in the overhead console don't work.

The switches don't "click" and feel spongy. So today I took it down to have a look. There's power to the connector which is wired as such

Orange - Black - White
Hot - Grnd - Hot

The thing I found odd was the console part itself has different color wires than the connector. Maybe not so odd knowing car manufacturers

The Orange connects to Green in the console
The Black connects to Red in the console
The White connects to Black in the console

The red and the green go over to the HomeLink plug
The Green also goes to both light sockets and the Red and Black go to the switches
Then a White comes from the switches for the other side of the light sockets

So my question is, has someone changed the console to one of a different year / model that isn't wired the same or is it actually possible that both switches in mine are broken?

cadillac kevin
03-30-13, 08:48 PM
Does one of the wired have a ring terminal on it? When I got my caddy, the console didn't work....turns out someone didn't put the ring terminal on the screw when they reinstalled the console.

codewize
03-30-13, 10:21 PM
Good call but no. There are no loose ends and no ring terminal. Everything in the console itself is connected and seems legit.

csbuckn
03-31-13, 01:17 AM
Definitely sounds wrong to me, especially the black to red and the white to black.

codewize
03-31-13, 01:32 AM
I really don't want to pay for an All Data subscription for this 1 item.

csbuckn
03-31-13, 01:35 AM
I'll look in my service manual tomorrow. I'd leave it unplugged for now.

TopherS
03-31-13, 02:47 AM
I checked my service manual, and it doesn't show a different colored wiring setup...that being said, I went out with a screwdriver and found mine is exactly the same... Orange/Black/White --> Green/Red/Black. It seems to be normal.

BTW:

I was poking around a junkyard recently and was looking at some light switches and noticed that some were spongy...with no "click" on/off. It seems that the spring-loaded switch may have a habit of failing. It looked as though you could replace the individual switch without replacing the color-coordinated housing, but I didn't get that far with it, if I'm honest...so I'm not positive about that.

Hope this helps...

codewize
03-31-13, 10:17 AM
OK good, that definitely helps. I don't see how you'd ever replace the individual switches but I'll take a closer look.

Thanks a lot.

onecool
04-02-13, 01:30 PM
If your talking about the 2 lights on top center where the garage door opener goes? Spongy with no click is bad switch.

codewize
04-02-13, 06:09 PM
Yup, that's what I'm talking about. OK so can you buy that part, parts or am I heading to a scrap yard?

mjs182004
04-02-13, 06:46 PM
I had the same issue. It is a bad switch(both of them). I got mine out of a junkyard that still had some clicking in them. the housing was a different color, but Will a little bit of patience, I managed to swap the guts from the junkyard piece into mine. Works perfectly to this day (knock on wood). Wile your there you should pick up a garage door controller, If you don't already have one. The opening is the same from 1980 - 2005. Also make sure to get the one with a amber led on it. I love mine.