: Real 5.1 audio in my V.

heavymetals
03-30-13, 03:32 PM
With the Frankenradio, I was able to install a "carputer" (a Mac Mini) and using it as the audio source I am now able to simulate 5.1 audio.

Since I had added "booster amplifiers" way back when, it was just a matter of un-plugging the "high level" inputs and using the RCA's.

However, I had to replace my Kenwood amplifier as it only had four channels.

The sound is so much better then the Bose (even with booster amps and a different sub woofer).

The screen shot is ITunes running (looks kinda small, but it is there!).

philistine
04-02-13, 08:43 PM
I followed the install thread a little - very adventurous! I can see in the pics that there are multiple connections that protrude from the display - are those to be hidden for a clean look after testing?

heavymetals
04-02-13, 08:59 PM
I followed the install thread a little - very adventurous! I can see in the pics that there are multiple connections that protrude from the display - are those to be hidden for a clean look after testing?

All connections hanging out are to be hidden.

The radio will have a couple of switches and a small hole (for the IR sensor) added.

thebigjimsho
04-04-13, 05:53 PM
Now let's get you some high end equipment...

heavymetals
04-05-13, 01:55 PM
Now let's get you some high end equipment...

I was in the audio business and was head tech for a tape recorder manufacturer.

FYI I have: TWO JBL SA660 integrated amplifiers (look it up) that are left in my collection.

I sold all my Macintosh stuff (tri-amped system) and JBL speakers.

Still have a few pieces left.

thebigjimsho
04-05-13, 06:22 PM
hmm...

philistine
04-10-13, 12:20 AM
I was in the audio business and was head tech for a tape recorder manufacturer.

FYI I have: TWO JBL SA660 integrated amplifiers (look it up) that are left in my collection.

I sold all my Macintosh stuff (tri-amped system) and JBL speakers.

Still have a few pieces left.

whew!...I was in the business when my shop competed with IASCA in Florida - PPI amps dominated and U.S. Amps were a close 2nd. It was tons of fun explaining front stage...rear fill.

sssnake
04-10-13, 02:19 PM
whew!...I was in the business when my shop competed with IASCA in Florida - PPI amps dominated and U.S. Amps were a close 2nd. It was tons of fun explaining front stage...rear fill.

Sounds like late eighties early nineties which was when I was installing. Our "finest" creation (i threw up a little when I typed that) was an astro van w 18 18" kicker comps on 18 hifonics zues and 18 die hard gold batteries. PA mids and bullet tweets for the front stage. I damn near cried when the boss sent the van out to a cabinet shop for enclosure manufacturing and they showed back up as 1 cu ft sealed for each 18. The thing would scream on midbass but wouldn't go low for love or money.

GizmoQ
04-11-13, 12:48 AM

I competed in USACI for a couple years. Loved the US Amps.

Front stage/rear fill.... :worship: took me a while to figure out how to push that front stage wayy out! Once there, it was miraculous.