: iTUNES>USB>HHD

USAFRET
03-30-13, 11:46 AM
Last night I exported my entire iTunes library to the V's HHD. It took over 2 hours and numerous re-starts of the Accessory Power mode, but it's done.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/AFVETTE/CTS-V/file_zps84334e08.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/AFVETTE/CTS-V/file_zps6c960d76.jpg

I had a cheap 16GB USB memory stick lay around so for about 3 hours of my time I have my entire iTunes library (about 450 albums) just a push button away.

Tom

1997BlackETC
03-30-13, 03:45 PM
Good deal, that's a lot of music. One of my biggest complaints with this car is that it has that stupid timer on the accessory mode. Why can't it just stay in accessory mode when put in that mode, we are all adults and are not going to run it 8 hours or something to kill our batteries. GM did so good about eliminating most of the other Nannies with this car like being able to defeat traction control and stabilitrac, but this is one nanny I hate.

Jinx
03-31-13, 06:45 AM
Is the HDD capacity still 40GB on new CTS's?

Is playback from the HDD better than from an external device? Or is it just a matter of not having anything extra plugged in?

USAFRET
03-31-13, 07:08 AM
Is the HDD capacity still 40GB on new CTS's?

Is playback from the HDD better than from an external device? Or is it just a matter of not having anything extra plugged in?

Since its a "digital" copy it should sound exactly the same regardless of source. Remember these are MP3's so it's not like it's super high quality and considering the environment I doubt my old ears could make out any difference between a CD and MP3 anyway. I did it for convenience, and just to test it out. I did the same to our Volt and after living with my music set to shuffle I cancelled my subscription to XM. Plus I didn't want to keep an iPOD (regardless of cost) stored in my car 24/7 especially with temperatures we get here in St. Louis. And as I said it didn't cost me a dime, except for about 2.5 hours of my time, but I used it to read the Owners Manual and set all the cars settings.

Jinx
03-31-13, 02:08 PM
Makes sense. Thanks for sharing details. I might do that but for capacity -- almost 100GB now.

RobF300
03-31-13, 03:22 PM
I think he meant why upload 2 hours when you could just leave the stick in

USAFRET
03-31-13, 04:27 PM
I think he meant why upload 2 hours when you could just leave the stick in

Good point, didn't think about it, but again I just wanted to do it. But that sure would have been the easy way to accomplish the same thing.

1997BlackETC
04-01-13, 12:35 AM
I've gotta find a way of getting some music on a stick, I don't want to pay big bucks to download all kinds of tunes of I tunes or something like that, I wonder if they sell pre loaded sticks? If so I'd just keep it in the center console and stick it in the usb when i wanted music?

garfin
04-01-13, 11:23 AM
Thank you all! I exported my iTunes directly to my Samsung Galaxy and then copied all the music there onto a flash drive. The HDD found all the tunes on the flash drive and they are now living comfortably on the HDD!
...and here I thought the HDD would only record from CDs! LOL!

Best regards,

Elie

Topless vette
04-01-13, 12:09 PM
This is too funny. Had my ipod hooked up Saturday cruising, unplug it from usb and leave it in the console, go out Sunday morning trying to figure out how to make the nav work on voice commands, thats another issue that is not going so well, go to HDD and hit it, and Wowzer , all my ipod songs are in there rockin away, had to check to make sure it wasn hooked up, and it wasn't. After reading links about flashing and copying,exporting,importing, and all that stuff was not necessary. I had a thread going on Ipod to HDD and read all that also. Another Easter miracle. Its all good. Now to figure out the nav.
Thanks for all the input on this. Mongopush was corrct again

neuronbob
04-01-13, 01:32 PM
I thought the HDD would not play music purchased from the iTunes store. About 1/2 my iPod music collection is from iTunes, recorded years ago, and a lot of it still has DRM. I keep my old 5G iPod in the car to play tunes from as a result.If that's not the case, I'll be uploading my whole collection to the HDD ASAP.

VMoose
04-01-13, 01:42 PM
This might be helpful to you neuronbob. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/converting-drm-purchases-itunes-in-the-cloud-vs-itunes-match/

neuronbob
04-01-13, 02:56 PM
This might be helpful to you neuronbob. http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/converting-drm-purchases-itunes-in-the-cloud-vs-itunes-match/

Thank you! :thumbsup: I think I have a little work to do this weekend.

V2 BRAWN
04-01-13, 03:32 PM
I also keep an iPod because of the protected songs in my catalog.
Two things about converting:
Not all iTunes song are available "rights free". (It's an artist thing.)
It costs $.30 per song to upgrade if you bought it from iTunes.

RobF300
04-01-13, 06:05 PM
I've gotta find a way of getting some music on a stick, I don't want to pay big bucks to download all kinds of tunes of I tunes or something like that, I wonder if they sell pre loaded sticks? If so I'd just keep it in the center console and stick it in the usb when i wanted music?

all you got to do is copy and paste them onto a stick, no need for any programs at all

----------

all you got to do is copy and paste them onto a stick, no need for any programs at all

USAFRET
04-01-13, 06:12 PM

----------

Yup, so easy even a Caveman can do it. Or at least this Caveman.

1997BlackETC
04-02-13, 01:41 AM
Thanks Rob, I really don't have hardly any music on my computer, mostly just CD's most of which I already copied onto the hard drive. I tend to stream some from the phone which as frusterating at times because it cuts in and out in certain parts of town and then sometimes I get frusterated and just turn it to regular FM or XM.