: Tuner info

Romulus1
03-29-13, 06:26 PM
So here's to scoop. Looking for a tuner. I have been searching around a lot and i'm down to Bullydog and Diablo. The big questions are -

Which one do you guys find better?
I do not care how it affects gas mileage or power.
I need one that i can adjust the A/F ratio so my stupid CEL goes off and i can get inspected. (running lean)
I have an SLP Intake and an Gibson Exhaust, i'm sure i can "optimize" these mods but does one work better with certain brands better than others.

I know nothing about this on american cars. I have a custom UpREV on my Z but that was professionally done and never touched since. Any help guys?

the cadillac man
03-29-13, 08:27 PM
So here's to scoop. Looking for a tuner. I have been searching around a lot and i'm down to Bullydog and Diablo. The big questions are -

Which one do you guys find better?
I do not care how it affects gas mileage or power.
I need one that i can adjust the A/F ratio so my stupid CEL goes off and i can get inspected. (running lean)
I have an SLP Intake and an Gibson Exhaust, i'm sure i can "optimize" these mods but does one work better with certain brands better than others.

I know nothing about this on american cars. I have a custom UpREV on my Z but that was professionally done and never touched since. Any help guys?

I would check for codes instead of trying to cover it up as there is a reason the check engine light is on any parts place (eg advance auto, O'Reilly's) will check for free as the tuner isn't going to do any good till the cause of the check engine light is found and fixed

Romulus1
03-29-13, 08:43 PM
the code is i'm lean due to the intake. I know what it is, i need to balance the A/F ratio that way it shuts off. hence the reason for the tuner as i stated. Running lean isnt going to cause any harm really, maybe foul up my plugs. No big deal kinda stuff

the cadillac man
03-29-13, 09:01 PM
the code is i'm lean due to the intake. I know what it is, i need to balance the A/F ratio that way it shuts off. hence the reason for the tuner as i stated. Running lean isnt going to cause any harm really, maybe foul up my plugs. No big deal kinda stuff

What is the code?
And adjusting something like the air to fuel mixture is automatically done via the PCM the only thing a tuner does is enhance that
The reason the check engine light is on is because of a trouble code

Running lean would be fuel system related and could be a failing fuel pump

Romulus1
03-29-13, 09:09 PM
Bank 1 Lean, Bank 2 Lean. Those we're my codes. occured shortly after intake install. No other codes. I had them pulled at advanced auto parts twice now. They come and go every so often. My intake is sealed up and tight. The PCM only compensates so much before a tune is needed. Weather it be to correct it or to extend the "normal" parameters. My car runs fine. Has been running fine. Pulled a 2000 lb trailer a few weeks ago no problem. There's no lack of throttle response. no lack of power. no lag.

the cadillac man
03-29-13, 10:01 PM
Bank 1 Lean, Bank 2 Lean. Those we're my codes. occured shortly after intake install. No other codes. I had them pulled at advanced auto parts twice now. They come and go every so often. My intake is sealed up and tight. The PCM only compensates so much before a tune is needed. Weather it be to correct it or to extend the "normal" parameters. My car runs fine. Has been running fine. Pulled a 2000 lb trailer a few weeks ago no problem. There's no lack of throttle response. no lack of power. no lag.

Could be injectors needing cleaning but that means the engine isn't getting the fuel somewhere upstream in the fuel system depending on the year it could be the fuel filter(02 03 and older) or the pump

FYI when the PCM turns on the check engine light it runs the engine from a preset map in the PCM database (I had random cel before my fuel pump failed which hasn't done it again since) so have the fuel system pressure tested as that sounds like the place to start

Romulus1
03-29-13, 10:12 PM
So does anyone have an actual answer to my question because the fuel pressure is fine and I changed the filter recently. I have also run injector cleaner recently and religiously use premium. I do regular upkeep on all my cars. Aftermarket parts can cause cel's. That's what this one is. Back to my tuner question.

6lbsofSound
03-29-13, 10:26 PM
I have the same intake and exhaust. I haven't had the check engine light come on at all. If you want a tuner with flexibility diablo sport is what I have been looking at. And hp tuners has a setup that can go further.

Just for shyts and giggles check the Mass air and either replace or clean it.