: Recording from Ipod to HDD

Topless vette
03-29-13, 03:57 PM
been messing with my car today, and thought i would load some tunes into it,well, doesn t seem to fly. hooked my ipod up and tunes start playing, when i hit the record button nothing happens. read the book a few times, what am i doing wrong, or not doing.
thanks Al

garfin
03-29-13, 04:52 PM
Seems to me I tried something similar 3 years ago right after taking delivery of my V... and if I'm not mistaken, the only way to record tunes to the HDD is to take them off a CD while it's playing. If I'm wrong, please tell me!

Best regards,

Elie

Topless vette
03-29-13, 04:58 PM
hmm could be.. but not according to the book.

Thunder Gray STS
03-29-13, 05:10 PM
Can't do it from an iPod. iTunes is proprietary software. You have to use a USB drive and MP3 format.

USAFRET
03-29-13, 06:24 PM
I'm in the process of recording all my music from iTunes off a USB memory stick right now. I created a new Playlist in iTUNES and converted all the music to MP3, then I exported all 3600+ songs to a USB stick.

The V's HHD imported all the ID3 tags and now I'm recording all the music. It took over 4 hours with our Volt.

More to follow as I had to shut off the cars accessory mode to tend to a few things with wifey. I wonder if it continue to record with the ignition off.

jugger23
03-29-13, 07:04 PM
I'm in the process of recording all my music from iTunes off a USB memory stick right now. I created a new Playlist in iTUNES and converted all the music to MP3, then I exported all 3600+ songs to a USB stick.

The V's HHD imported all the ID3 tags and now I'm recording all the music. It took over 4 hours with our Volt.

More to follow as I had to shut off the cars accessory mode to tend to a few things with wifey. I wonder if it continue to record with the ignition off.

let us know what happened....

Topless vette
03-29-13, 07:17 PM
i ll just stick with XM radio and my cd s.

Mongopush
03-29-13, 09:01 PM
Use your regular iPod cable in the USB , not the gm provided cable. It won't recognize as an iPod at that point and will start to search for music. It takes awhile but eventually seemed to get my music transferred to the drive.

Topless vette
03-29-13, 09:29 PM
Use your regular iPod cable in the USB , not the gm provided cable. It won't recognize as an iPod at that point and will start to search for music. It takes awhile but eventually seemed to get my music transferred to the drive.

yes, i tried that, plugged it in, hit record and nothing happ.

Mongopush
03-29-13, 09:37 PM

Strange, I never had to hit record it just started performing a search. What setting are you on the touchscreen? I think I was on the aux tab.also mine is a 30 pin,not the new lightning cord.

Topless vette
03-29-13, 09:45 PM
Strange, I never had to hit record it just started performing a search. What setting are you on the touchscreen? I think I was on the aux tab.also mine is a 30 pin,not the new lightning cor
d.

oh, maybe i misunderstood you, i can plug my ipod and in and it plays fine, i just wanted to download some of the tunes into the HD.

Mongopush
03-29-13, 09:53 PM

I never had to hit record just gave it a sec and it said something like " searching" . I will try again tomorrow and let you know what I did, I can't remember what tab I was on at the time( hdd,aux,fm,am..etc)

Topless vette
03-29-13, 10:00 PM
ok thanks, am going to try again tomorrow,it recgonizes it and just starts playing the tunes on my ipod, but won t record them. I am sure i am doing something wrong.

staflyr
03-29-13, 10:35 PM
You're not doing anything wrong. Someone already said it. iTunes is proprietary and recording from this app directly to the cars HD is not possible. You must first create a playlist for the tracks you want, convert to MP3 format, save to a flash drive or burn to CD. Once this is done you can record tracks from the CD or flash drive to the vehicles HD.

good luck
Andy[COLOR="Silver"]

phatman
03-29-13, 11:07 PM
Guys, I recorded from my ipod. I have to go back to my car and remeber how I did it. The HDD allows you to set up 6 play list, 100 in each play list. I have all 6 covered. YOU CAN RECORD! It's late, I'll check how I did it tomorrow.

Mongopush
03-30-13, 06:59 PM
OK,so I plugged in my iPod today with the apple supplied cable ,not GM's it went to AUX on screen and said "searching" . Once I hit the source selection tab it said "scanning ID tags" , while this is happening its transferring my music. I can unplug my iPod and the music is on the HDD . Although once stored the HDD interface is horrible, I would prefer just using the iPod plugged in and use the interface with GM's cable. Sorry for the blurry pics. http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/nashram1/IMG_0168.jpg http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l584/nashram1/IMG_0169.jpg

Topless vette
03-30-13, 08:02 PM
I have come to the conclusion I will ger better quality and les hassle just by plugging my ipod into the usb port and play it that way. No mess, no fuss, no transfer. Talked to a wizard that knows about this stuff and he says the system is outdated and in 2008 when it came around it was not a high tech system, more of a gimmick.

Mongopush
03-30-13, 08:09 PM
Agreed, seems like it was a rush job. Should of been able to just stream over Bluetooth with a iPhone or droid . I did order the Bluetooth connecter mentioned in other post, will let you know how it fairs .

Topless vette
03-30-13, 08:28 PM
thanks sounds good

Topless vette
03-31-13, 11:52 AM
This is too funny. Had my ipod hooked up yesterday cruising, unplug it from usb and leave it in the console, go out this morning trying to figure out how to make the nav work on voice commans, thats another issue that is not going so well, go to HDD and hit it, and Wowzer , all my ipod songs are in there rockin away, had to check to make sure it wasn hooked up, and it wasn't. Another Easter miracle. Its all good. Now to figure out the nav.
Thanks for all the input on this. Mongopush was corrct again ;)

1997BlackETC
03-31-13, 11:52 PM
Cool, you best give up on the voice recognition, it is not worth the hassle. when my started speaking spanish to me I threw in the towel with it and don't even bother, more frusteration than it's worth. Hopefully the newer system ones are better than this one. The nav is usable, but very slow and doggish, obviously a very slow processor. I get frusterated with that too. I'm keeping directions and connections so I can just remotely download directions from my smart phone to the car and don't have to wait, they are just there loaded already when I get in my car for a trip. Dunno if your car can do that as mine is a 2013 and I use the the GM onstar remote app a lot. If you don't have directions and connections this won't work either.

asilver
06-15-13, 06:01 PM
question for y'all.

I have a 16gb usb stick, I moved about 13gb onto the stick which took 45 minutes, only to have the car say, this usb stick isn't compatible. Thoughts?

I remember when I purchased the stick I had to change the format from fat32 to NTFS....does the car's HDD only read from fat32?

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-17-13, 09:10 AM
question for y'all.

I have a 16gb usb stick, I moved about 13gb onto the stick which took 45 minutes, only to have the car say, this usb stick isn't compatible. Thoughts?

I remember when I purchased the stick I had to change the format from fat32 to NTFS....does the car's HDD only read from fat32?

Hello asilver,

I am providing you with the phone number to Infotainment general support. The number is 855-478-7767, Hours of Operation: 8:00 am to 10:00 pm EST seven days a week. Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service