: 03 esv front differential rebuild

chacho44
03-28-13, 04:47 PM
I'm sure some have had there carrier bearings go bad like mine are now. Whats the average cost of rebuild. Some places tell me like 1500!!! Am I missing something here or that's the goin rate. I'm gonna remove it myself and plan on doin just the carrier bearings and races. Do I need to replace anything else while I'm in there seals etc.also anyone that has done this some info will be helpful. Thanks

CaddyEscalade
03-30-13, 02:10 AM
I would love to know this as well. I haven't heard of anyone taking this on. If you do, please take pics and post your results.

YoshiMan
03-30-13, 10:25 PM
Although i haven't had to deal with any of the differential problems with my Escalade yet, i had a rear LSD diff rebuilt for an old Toyota Cressida i had a few years back for about 200 in OEM parts, and about 400 for the labor. And that car was somewhat specialized and most places didn't want to touch it. Since the Escalades share their underpinnings with the GM truck line, it will be easier to get it serviced.

I had taken it out of the car myself and taken it directly to the shop as well. $1500 is probably if they do ALL the labor, including removal and installation.

chacho44
04-01-13, 02:30 AM
Well I started today on removing the differential. Didnt seem that much of a headache, only problem I saw was I had to remove the steering link and move the pitman arm towards the drivers side and roll the axle out. I was not expecting to do this today on easter but I wanna knock this out asap. I won't be doing the rebuild on my axle so I really can't snap some pics. Even if I was too for some reason my phone won't let me post them. But I had the axle out in about an hour and half cause I ran into the steering link problem. Idk what the problem is till he opens it up and goes through it. But I bought all new bearings and seals, I figure while its open might as well knock it all out. I spent about $180 on some bearings and seals, also picked up some new U-joints for it and tie rods. Removal is not hard at all, if you van get someone to help even better. Hoping all should be done in a week. Probably sooner but my work schedule is rough.

mikedyk43
04-01-13, 08:35 PM
Whatever you do, don't move that vehicle without the front drive shafts. The AWD front bearings are held together with them.

chacho44
04-01-13, 10:40 PM
Its not going nowhere, she's on jack stands and tucked away in the garage till the axle comes back. Thanks for the tip though man.

chacho44
04-07-13, 03:13 AM
Just got my freshly rebuilt axle back, installed it today and no more humming noises. What a difference. Carrier bearing was the problem

the cadillac man
04-07-13, 11:24 AM
Just got my freshly rebuilt axle back, installed it today and no more humming noises. What a difference. Carrier bearing was the problem

Great news glad to hear you got it fixed

YoshiMan
04-07-13, 10:25 PM
what did it run you if you don't mind us asking?

chacho44
04-07-13, 11:02 PM
My buddy did the rebuild for $125. Carrier and pinion bearings with races and seals, fluid about $200-250. Saved money on taking it out and installing it myself. Also bought 2 u-joints, and inner and outer tie rods

YoshiMan
04-08-13, 04:10 AM
Not too shabby!

hcubed
04-08-13, 02:23 PM
My front diff bearings started howling in 2009, so I had it repaired by the dealership for about $800.00 give or take a few $$.
A couple of months went by, and under the repair guaranty they changed another bearing and a seal that they screwed up the first time. No charge, and free loaner.